IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-64-rebecca-heineman-racing-destruction-set-and-mindshadow

Rebecca Heineman was the keynote speaker at Kansasfest 2015, where she told all sorts of amazing stories about her Apple II development work. She developed Tass Times in Tonetown, Bard's Tale III, Borrowed Time, Battle Chess, Crystal Quest, and many other games for many platforms. She ported Racing Destruction Set and Mindshadow to the Atari 8-bit machines. She won the National Space Invaders Championship, sponsored by Atari, in November, 1980.

I also recommend listening to her KansasFest 2015 keynote

This interview was recorded July 17, 2015 at KansasFest.

Bill Bartlett, Product Support Manager

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-63-bill-bartlett-product-support-manager

Bill Bartlett worked at Atari from 1981 through 1984, where he was a product support manager for the Atari home computer division, also did user group support. He also wrote the Diskette Mailing List program which was sold by Atari Program Exchange.

This interview took place on April 16 2015, in person at a supermarket deli in the Portland Oregon area. I apologize for the background noise; recording in this situation is not a mistake I will make again.

Teaser quote:

“Alan Alda became the spokesman for Atari, and was doing all the TV commercials. He was actually interested in the product set. They sent him all the products. So I was his contact for tech support, me personally. I never talked to him but I talked to his assistants. . . ‘Mr. Alda is on line one!’"

• Like 1

Steve Mayer, Atari 400/800 Designer

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-65-steve-mayer-400800-designer

Today I’m honored to be interviewing someone who was involved in the original design of the Atari 400 & 800 computers, Mr. Steve Mayer. Steve worked with Joe Decuir (whom I interviewed in an earlier episode), Jay Miner, and others on the Candy & Colleen project and that’s our main focus for this interview. However, Steve also was involved in much more, including involvement in the creation of Cyan Engineering, later known as the Grass Valley Think Tank and was involved in the creation and design of the 2600.

This was recorded on April 18, 2015.

• Like 3

Peter Liepa, Boulder Dash

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-66-peter-liepa-boulder-dash

Peter Liepa was co-creator and programmer of Boulder Dash and Boulder Dash 2 for the Atari computers. Boulder Dash was published by First Star Software in 1984 and is regarded as a seminal game for the Atari 8-bit machines.

This interview took place on June 16, 2015

Teaser quotes:

“I sat there playing these games and the idea of ‘I can do this’ or ‘I can build one of these’ welled up in my head.”

“All of the pleasure of this project was in developing the game. I got very little pleasure out of the business aspect of it.”

Steve Mayer, Atari 400/800 Designer

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-65-steve-mayer-400800-designer

Mr. Steve Mayer. Steve worked with Joe Decuir (whom I interviewed in an earlier episode), Jay Miner, and others on the Candy & Colleen project and that’s our main focus for this interview. However, Steve also was involved in much more, including involvement in the creation of Cyan Engineering, later known as the Grass Valley Think Tank and was involved in the creation and design of the 2600.

This was recorded on April 18, 2015.

• Like 5

Ted Richards, Atari Connection Magazine

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-67-ted-richards-atari-connection-magazine

Ted Richards was Editor In Chief of Atari Connection magazine, Atari’s in-house computer magazine; and was Marketing Communications Manager for Atari Home Computers, where he worked on print and package design, from 1981 to 1984.

This interview took place on April 19, 2015.

Teaser Quotes:

“Antic was a competing magazine, so to speak, at the time. I forget the editor’s name, he was quite a guy. . . [Jim] Capparell. He was always meeting with Atari executives, trying to persuade them to shut down our magazine.”

“So when the Tramiels came in, they confronted him and they asked him ‘Who are you?’ And Arnold says ‘Who are you?!’ And they said ‘Him we like. He stays.’”

• Like 3

Thomas Renbarger, Dorsett Educational Systems

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-68-thomas-renbarger-dorsett-educational-systems

Thomas Renbarger worked at Dorsett Educational Systems from 1978 through 1980, where he converted audio and filmstrip based educational programs to computer graphics and text for the TRS-80 and Atari 400 and 800 computers.

This interview took place April 21, 2015.

Teaser quote:

“Smart, nerdy people might be interested in something just because it says it’s educational, but most of the programs and stuff that was written was pretty — not totally remedial — but it was pretty introductory educational stuff.”

Lloyd Speyer, Batteries Included

Lloyd Speyer worked for Batteries Included from 1983 to 1987, where he worked with Commodore PETs, 64, Apple ][, Macintosh, as well as the Atari 800. He built hardware dongles, demonstrated products in the retail store, and worked in quality assurance, where he beta tested PaperClip and HomePak.
This interview was conducted April 27, 2015.
Teaser quote:
“The Atari version and the Commodore 64 version [of PaperClip] were completely different, even though we said ‘These are the commands we want. This is what we need.’ Steve [Ahlstrom] and Dan [Mppre] decided that they wanted to take the product in a different direction because the Atari could do a little bit more. . . It actually came out to be a really, really nice product.”
  • Like 2

Let's go to Atari Summer Camp! A special episode of ANTIC.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-special-episode-atari-summer-camp

This episode took months of research, 4 interviews, found material. I'm proud of this work.

Includes interviews with:

Bob Kahn, Atari Director of Special Projects

Paul Somerfeldt, a teaching assistant

Dave Dresden, a camper

Barry Champagne, a camper

• Like 2

I recently listened to the Peter Liepa interview, and I was put off by his "get a life" remark when asked the customary "What would you tell the Atari community today?"

He might have been half-joking about it, but it was the first thing that popped into his head and he could have had the good sense to keep it to himself.

• Like 2

I've gotten the feeling at times that these guys don't really understand the retro hobby and they think people are still refusing to upgrade from 1983 or something.

Someone should explain it's like having a classic car in the garage. You don't own it because it handles well, is ultra reliable or gets good mileage. You own it because it's a classic car.

• Like 9

I have to agree with Bryan, above.

Clearly, many people who have a historical context with Atari computers DO NOT seem to share the nostalgia with which many of us view these vintage computers. "People still use Atari computers???" Yeah, but not as their "main" computers. Only an idiot would think that.

People "use" vintage computers much as collectors of other things (vintage TVs for example, or as Bryan suggested, vintage cars) AS A HOBBY.

It's always interesting to hear from A8 moguls (those of whom are still alive, and willing to be interviewed), but it's clear that the A8 machine meant little-or-nothing to many of them, either at the time (years ago), and especially now. It seems like they're flabbergasted to learn that a few "idiots" are "still using" the A8, as opposed to the reality that retro-hobbyists are *actually* using the A8 alongside modern machines, in a resurgence of retro-computing that they don't seem to understand, at all.

That's fine. Retro-computing isn't for everybody, just as retro-automobilia isn't for everyone, and retro-whatever isn't for everyone. Let's just hope that they don't think we're all idiots, still using AtariWriter. We're just nostalgic about the machines (much as there is nostalgia for many other time-specific icons), and with a small dose of modern technology (SIO2PC, Sdrive, SIO2SD, U1MB/Side, etc.) childhood dreams can become reality right away, for those who embrace nostalgia.

• Like 5

This episode took months of research, 4 interviews, found material. I'm proud of this work.

You should be. When I was listening I thought how well structured and researched it was and I liked the different viewpoints from the various interviewees. This is certainly in my top 5 of the interviews so far, really good.

• Like 1

Jon Freeman: Archon, EPYX, FreeFall Associates
Jon Freeman was co-founder of the computer game publisher Automated Simulations, which became EPYX. At Automated Simulations, he co-created Starfleet Orion and Gateway to Apshai. Then he and his wife Anne Westfall started the game development company FreeFall Associates, where they created Tax Dodge, Archon, Archon II, and Murder on the Zinderneuf.
This interview took place April 21, 2015.
Teaser quotes:
“That six months, I read two books in six months, and we went to one movie. The rest of the time we we just working on the game. That’s all we did. It was very, you know, intense.”

“You know, I could just basically flip that switch every VBI and have the computer play itself. That turned out to be one of the absolutely huge selling points of [Archon]. Stores could put it in the window, get it started, and let it run.”
  • Like 3

You can't expect everybody or anybody to have the same attitude as you - towards the use etc of the Atari 400/800 etc home computer systems.

That when asked a question - they can say what they like.

I don't think it's silly for someone to still use their Atari computer for such everyday things as writing letters/etc. You don't need the latest wordprocessor to write letters or stories, etc..

There will be a time in which the old original hardware just will not function anymore - and until then, I think it's wonderful that people are still using them - for whatever purpose, etc etc.

Harvey

Let's go to Atari Summer Camp! A special episode of ANTIC.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-special-episode-atari-summer-camp

Includes interviews with:

Bob Kahn, Atari Director of Special Projects

Paul Somerfeldt, a teaching assistant

Dave Dresden, a camper

Barry Champagne, a camper

I really enjoyed this episode. I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to attend Atari Summer Camp, and it was great listening to the different perspectives of the people who either went or helped run the camp. Great job!

• Like 1

Nolan Bushnell

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-71-nolan-bushnell-the-man

Welcome to a very special interview-only episode of Antic, the Atari 8-bit podcast. I am Randy Kindig, one of your hosts for this podcast. I say “special” because it’s not often that you get a chance to talk with an icon like the one we talk with today. Kevin Savetz and myself were given the chance to sit down, so to speak, with “Mr. Atari” Nolan Bushnell and spend a few minutes shooting the breeze. If you need any more introduction for this guest, then you’re probably listening to the wrong podcast. In fact, he’s one of those guys that can go by a single name “Nolan” and everyone in the Atari community knows who you’re talking about.

Before we get to the interview, I want to thank the Atari community on the AtariAge forums for suggesting questions for Nolan. When we put out a request for questions, who knew we would get such a large and varied response. Regrettably, we only had time for some of them. Many of you will recognize the questions that you submitted and we are very grateful for your help. I also want to thank Marty Goldberg for his suggestions and guidance as someone who has talked with Nolan in the past.

This interview was conducted on July 30, 2015.

Teaser Quotes:

“wouldn't it have been fun if Atari had owned the Internet?”

“Did you regret selling it? Every day of my life!”

“Ray Kassar? Oh, he was a disaster.”

“Warner didn't want to have anything to do with me. They felt that if I was back in and made a success of it it would make them look stupid.”

• Like 1

The whole discussion of MODEM patents being transferred to USRobotics, is a new one for me, and has never come up in any of my research...and I can't find any paper trail whatsoever that indicates that this ever happened.

Curt? Marty? anyone with document stockpiles perhaps have a way to prove this?

-Thom