IGNORED

Pacman - Marriage Proposal

jerry_k

Hello guys, I hope someone can help me out on a really important step in my life.

I am just about to propose marriage to my girlfriend (her name is Stella!) and I have this crazy idea that she needs to work her way out to earn it. My thinking is to have her play the classic Atari 2600 Pacman and after she succeeds to pass the first stage, I need a clear screen and letters to appear to form the static message "Congratulations Stella! You managed to conquer the first level of Pacman. Nothing seems impossible for you, so the challenge continues for a greater adventure.. will you marry me?" and maybe there can be the classic marriage tune and a couple of flashing hearts graphics.

The reason is simple.. love for the Atari.. love for my girlfriend... wanting to combine both to make this moment unforgetable to both of us. She is not a gamer at all so it will be a challenge for herself to go through the first stage anyway. I will have her try again and again with the promise that there will be a life changing event by completing this task!

Is anyone willing to do this for me? Can it be done at all? All I need is the rom so I can run it on my PC (so she can joystick pacman on that first stage on our big TV on the living room). Its a one shot, one stage, one message thing.

Anyone able to help me out?

• Like 5

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea!! I don't know if that many words could show up well, but I hope someone picks up the challenge for you!

And I hope your nongamer girlfriend will have the patience to play and beat the first level without cursing and throwing the joystick at the screen before she gets your message! Because that would suck.

I wish you well!

Thanks for your comments guys! I really hope this will work out somehow. Now that I think of it, Ms. Pacman might be a better choice, due to easiest first level in comparison to Pacman, and for the "Ms." title as a warmup thing. If it all fails I might have to go the Donkey Kong route as linked by CPUWIZ above (and thanks for that info as well!).

Considering your advice that it may be too much of a stretch for the systems capabilities, even the message "Stella, will you marry me?" after the completion of the stage, would make the trick with no further fanfare. Anyone able to make my humble request reality, PLEASE?

Edited by jerry_k

The biggest problem I see is the amount of text you are looking for. While certainly possible, a la Dark Mage, it seems like you might want to consider an edit or two. All she really wants to hear is "will you marry me" anyway, so the rest is really just filler.

Good luck!

This can absolutely be done with the amount of text. I'm sure it would be easier if this was done using a Melody board and DPC+ mode. Pac-Man is 4K, so that could sit in one bank, and then when the level is completed, switch into another kernel that displays the text. I don't think it would take a homebrew author very long to put such a thing together.

When do you need this by?

..Al

This can absolutely be done with the amount of text. I'm sure it would be easier if this was done using a Melody board and DPC+ mode. Pac-Man is 4K, so that could sit in one bank, and then when the level is completed, switch into another kernel that displays the text. I don't think it would take a homebrew author very long to put such a thing together.

When do you need this by?

..Al

I figure the "event" will probably take place around August-September, and it will be a small gathering, just parents, sisters, brothers and a couple very close friends. We have done seldom talk about wedding, but we are good together so all the rest is the easy part. So I am planning to propose somewhere after easter-early summer. Hell, even July would seem ok, since we are skipping all the excessive stuff I have seen on friends weddings which look like a soap opera full-cast setup! :)

I guess this gives a 3-4 months time Albert.