IGNORED

Adjusting Vertical/Horizontal Hold on an Old CRT

Spook Rooster

Hello, I am trying to test a quick game of Combat's Tank Pong on Atari 2600 and I have an issue with rolling on both my CRTs.

They are both Magnavox and I do not have the remotes anymore, or if I do, I have no clue where they are.

http://imgur.com/0KNV24k,nxEnm5L,Yu5gFdc,OWKikOf Here are some pictures for reference. I've looked up the black one and couldn't find anything useful on it. If any of you have either of these, could you tell me if they've got any hidden settings anywhere in the menus that I'm not seeing or am I screwed and I will need to seek out a dial tv? I've even tried hooking it up to the hdtv next to them and it doesn't receive the analog signal even though it says it picks it up which is weird. Another thing, too. I know I can remove the backs from CRTs and risk electrical shock adjusting something back there, but I'd rather get into the super difficult electronic repairs as a last resort if I can't fix it any normal way or find a tv that can.

I have no knowledge of these specifically. To my understanding, controls like horizontal or vertical hold dissappeared more or less when manual tuner controls did. In other words, the newer electrnoics we capable of controlling holds all on their own, without user adjustment by the time remotes were popular. Perhaps there is an internal adjustment if the case were removed. If you mess with a CRT with the case off, be advised there can be enough stored electricity to cause death, even if the unit is off. It's not a big deal if you know what you are doing, but if not it's best to stay out probably.

Are you sure the cart is NTSC? What colors does Combat display initially? The tanks should be red and blue.

I've thought of this too. But I don't think any of the carts nor the box identify what format they are in. As for the combat colours, they are black and white even though I have the atari on colour tv mode, but that could be because the tv itself has its colours turned down for whatever reason or because the tv can't adjust. It would display flashes of red, at least for one of them. I'll check the tv settings I guess.

EDIT: I was wrong. It was switched to black and white. On colour, the tv was adjusting and displayed a green battlefield, I think, and then went back to exploding.

EDITEDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/KlmVwE3.jpg Stupid glitched driver webcam taking pictures way too large even though I probably have it on the highest setting but whatever.

Anyways, that's Combat on 15 - Biplane. When I was testing before, it was switching to black and white and back. Now, it was able to stay on this screen for a while. It was also scrolling down-right or something. I guess I could always see if there are repairs to be made to the 2600 as well?

Edited by Spook Rooster

A few PAL games were released in USA by accident, probably by liquidator who didn't know any. I remember getting some red box Atari games from a clear out store (like Big Lot type) oh some 20 years ago and some of the games would roll on my TV and not display proper color.

Google search showed it has been raised before: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/13487-rolling-screen

A few PAL games were released in USA by accident, probably by liquidator who didn't know any. I remember getting some red box Atari games from a clear out store (like Big Lot type) oh some 20 years ago and some of the games would roll on my TV and not display proper color.

Google search showed it has been raised before: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/13487-rolling-screen

It's always a possibility, I suppose, that all my 2600 carts are in the pal format. I don't have any of the boxes if that's how you can tell, but I'll see if any of the labels are different in europe or something.

Could just be that the tuning is slightly off or that you are tuned into a sideband and not the main signal.

If that is the case then adjusting the Vertical/Horizontal hold may have no effect, additionally it would probably mess things up for any other display source you may attach due to them no longer being set to the optimal values.

Could just be that the tuning is slightly off or that you are tuned into a sideband and not the main signal.

If that is the case then adjusting the Vertical/Horizontal hold may have no effect, additionally it would probably mess things up for any other display source you may attach due to them no longer being set to the optimal values.

I'll assume you're referring to the coaxial on the back. Interestingly enough, the silver magnavox has an orange coaxial port which I did try before but it didn't do anything. I don't recall what the explanation is because I can't retain the mess of information relating to tv signals, but basically, it was just "it doesn't work because it's different but not really".

I wouldn't have a clue how to fix the tuning since I don't know where either of the remotes are, even if that's how you do it. You can see I'm very limited on tv knowledge.

But at least Breakaway IV was possible to play up to 21 points while the feed rolled before I died.

• 8 months later...