IGNORED

Commodore 64 VS Atari ST

Very true. I can tell you this, I have never once come across a non-working 99/4A. Though I have seen them fail, usually the video RAM goes bad. I have an Atari 800XL that suddenly bit the dust on me, but it was a great excuse to get a 130XE :)

ST, used by musicians all over the world, still nowadays. I mean the ST played live with Madonna, cool or what!

Even UK musicians worked for Atari just to work with the ST.

Every song produced by Stock, Aitken, and Waterman in the 80s and 90s (Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley, Mel & Kim, and many many others) was produced using an Atari ST as the midi controller/sequencer. There was simply nothing better at the time.

At the retro gaming exhibition I went to last weekend, I can't tell how many (if any) sellers had any Atari ST related stuff, while we were at least a bunch who had random C64 hardware and software for sale. Yet miniscule compared to the Nintendo, Sega, Sony crowds, out of the 2000-3000 persons who walked by my table - that clearly showed I'm a vintage computing guy so if anyone ought to have ST items, I would've been one of them to ask - only one person actually spoke of the ST and it was in the terms it was his worst purchase ever, screwed from not getting an Amiga 500 instead at the time as it turned out the ST series (to him) were a dead end for gaming.

YMMV of course, but unless the situation in the USA is vastly different, I think for a new collector you'll spend more time searching high and low for Atari ST hardware and software than you'll spend on C64 items, but if search is part of the challenge and joy, it might be the way to go, medium "obscurity" and all. Heck, over here you probably find 5-10 times as many items for the Amiga line than you find the ST line, but I understand that in the US, the Amiga is almost made of unobtainium so it kind of puts it out of the question.

YMMV of course, but unless the situation in the USA is vastly different, I think for a new collector you'll spend more time searching high and low for Atari ST hardware and software than you'll spend on C64 items, but if search is part of the challenge and joy, it might be the way to go, medium "obscurity" and all. Heck, over here you probably find 5-10 times as many items for the Amiga line than you find the ST line, but I understand that in the US, the Amiga is almost made of unobtainium so it kind of puts it out of the question.

For what it's worth, the Amiga was the more popular choice here in the US, so you're more likely to find Amiga stuff than Atari ST stuff. With that said, it's not like there's really any vintage computing stuff generally available anywhere outside of places like eBay and the occasional online store, so it's more or less a wash regardless of platform choice.

• Like 1

So if the idea is to build a working set of hardware and software (I'd hesitate to call it a collection) out of items you find in the wild: flea markets, retro gaming exhibitions, perhaps local Craigslist ads, the choice between these two still is a C64, no matter if an Atari ST or for that matter Amiga provides a nicer gaming experience once you got all the stuff at hand. The fact that mehguy already spotted an untested C64 with floppy drive also speaks in its favor for that reason.

Actually I thought ST was more common that Amiga over there, but perhaps it is just the fact that Amiga stuff is very expensive but somewhat available, while ST stuff might be cheaper once you find something at all to buy.

So if the idea is to build a working set of hardware and software (I'd hesitate to call it a collection) out of items you find in the wild: flea markets, retro gaming exhibitions, perhaps local Craigslist ads, the choice between these two still is a C64, no matter if an Atari ST or for that matter Amiga provides a nicer gaming experience once you got all the stuff at hand. The fact that mehguy already spotted an untested C64 with floppy drive also speaks in its favor for that reason.

Actually I thought ST was more common that Amiga over there, but perhaps it is just the fact that Amiga stuff is very expensive but somewhat available, while ST stuff might be cheaper once you find something at all to buy.

No, it was never more common over here. Whereas the ST and Amiga were neck and neck for some time in Europe, the main competition on the high end was ultimately between Amiga and PC EGA computers. The latter of course mopped the floor with everything after a point.