IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 13-14 = Sci-Fi Movie Weeks

JacobZu7zu7

Just so I'm clear...with the E.T. rules...what is meant by "one save"??? You mean rescue ship gets ET, you get your score, and quit? Or do you mean if you run out of energy, you're done (no rescue from Elliot)???

Anyone?....anyone?.....something-D-O-O economics??

It won't be long until you hit 18 or 19. It would be nice to figure out if there is something that the player can do to get more candy.

The only thing that has ever generated more candy for me is repeatedly dropping in wells and/or being revived by Elliott, but both require an energy trade off I'm not ready to make. According the manual you can get over 31 pieces of candy per level, but I feel like I am maxing out around 25 or so in my current game play. I wonder if a failed rescue causes the candy to respawn? The good news is, I have a week and half to sort it out.

• Like 1

E.T. 3433

typical run for me

time to read the manual i guess

post-34560-0-66424800-1429198734_thumb.png

Anyone?....anyone?.....something-D-O-O economics??

it means if you beat it don't continue going further. just stop there & record your score. one save = finishing the game once. getting E.T. home once.

if you die first, it still gives you a score so either way you're on the board.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 3

The only thing that has ever generated more candy for me is repeatedly dropping in wells and/or being revived by Elliott, but both require an energy trade off I'm not ready to make. According the manual you can get over 31 pieces of candy per level, but I feel like I am maxing out around 25 or so in my current game play. I wonder if a failed rescue causes the candy to respawn? The good news is, I have a week and half to sort it out.

That was a misprint:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et-manual.html#31_21

• Like 2

E.T. 3433

typical run for me

time to read the manual i guess

Your remaining energy is only a small part of your final score.

Finishing the round with 3-4K energy is fine, but most of your points need to come from Reese's Pieces.

You get 490 points for each one you bring onto the spaceship.

You get 770 points (or more) for each one you give to Elliot.

Example:

Suppose you finish with 3000 energy, gave 16 pieces to Elliot, and carried 2 onto the ship.

That's 3000 + 16(770) + 2(490) = 16,300.

• Like 1

Just an observation about the scoring in E.T.

The game designer must have a connection with the number 7.

a) You get 490 points for each Reese's Piece you bring onto the spaceship.
490 = 7 * 70

b) You get 770 points for each one you give to Elliot.
770 = 11 * 70

c) The key to finding the Yar and Indy easter eggs is to give Elliot exactly 7 Reese's Pieces.

Edited by MoomUnit

E.T. - 3,853

post-9212-0-35973900-1429217960_thumb.png

Getting the hang of this now. I think this is a very misunderstood game. If you follow the directions (i.e. - it says to move left or right after you levitate to get out of a well), you don't fall back in. My first instinct is to go up or down and I fall back in. I believe that's probably why this game got such a bad rap with everyone saying you keep falling back into the wells.

• Like 3

Getting the hang of this now. I think this is a very misunderstood game. If you follow the directions (i.e. - it says to move left or right after you levitate to get out of a well), you don't fall back in. My first instinct is to go up or down and I fall back in. I believe that's probably why this game got such a bad rap with everyone saying you keep falling back into the wells.

Yep:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et-tips.html#vid_how_to_get_out

E.T. is a very good game, and a great adventure/puzzle game for the VCS. People who bitch and moan about falling into pits must have thrown up their hands in despair at the likes of Super Mario Bros. My dad was an E.T. master, he used to marathon the game for like 3 hours a night. We never really had that much trouble with the pits, just move left or right (insert gratuitous Random Terrain link here).

• Like 3

Alien: 78,149

If you haven't noticed, the last digit of your Alien score shows how many boards you've successfully cleared.

Star Wars: 119,247

I don't know if I'll roll this game, but I do have another week to work on it.

post-41961-0-40792500-1429258259_thumb.jpg

post-41961-0-36367100-1429261979_thumb.png

Edited by MoomUnit
  • Like 3

E.T. 10,783

post-34560-0-66766300-1429294915_thumb.png

read the book, but my runs are basically the same story. successfully ran all E.T.'s energy down to zero enough times to send him into hibernation. getting closer though, at least I understand the power spots. now I just have to improve on locating the ship zone.

I'm thinking the reason for my score improving is that this time I gave a bunch of Reese's's to Elliot, & it awarded me the points even though E.T. hibernated.

not sure where the "3" at the end of my score comes from though. if my energy was "0" and all other scoring increments come in multiples of 10... what the... ??

• Like 2

E.T. 10,783

attachicon.gifE.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (Atari)_1.png

read the book, but my runs are basically the same story. successfully ran all E.T.'s energy down to zero enough times to send him into hibernation. getting closer though, at least I understand the power spots. now I just have to improve on locating the ship zone.

I'm thinking the reason for my score improving is that this time I gave a bunch of Reese's's to Elliot, & it awarded me the points even though E.T. hibernated.

not sure where the "3" at the end of my score comes from though. if my energy was "0" and all other scoring increments come in multiples of 10... what the... ??

HSW probably gives you three points because E.T. was his 3rd game.

• Like 2