IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

To think I saw that auction with the two controllers with one having the roller and did not even notice it! :mad:

That wasn't the auction where Yurkie obtained the Hand Controller with Speed Roller that he pictured above... he got this one from a private sale.

The auction your thinking off that Yurkie won was for the very early prototype version of this controller. The Speed Roller was a darker shade of grey along with some other differences.

Anyway, everyone but Yurkie overlooked that auction!!! :mad:

Edited by NIAD

You have a great collection. Do you have a controller like this?

I don't, but to be honest my collection is very different from that of a lot of other people's. I think it's very cool that people have managed to get a hold of some of this prototype stuff and it's great that it's in the hands of people who will preserve it. But my focus is a bit different, and in some ways a bit more "personal." I'm not a collector that needs to have everything, I'm more of someone who wants specific items that pertain to certain personal interests that I have. For example, some of the things I've chosen to collect are...

- Boxed copies of all the games/hardware I owned when I originally had my system in the 1980s.

- One copy of each officially released game (NIB or CIB of the games I actually owned, or loose for those that I didn't or unless the box copy is super cheap) as these are all games I could have purchased (many of which I did, I think I had about 50-60 games for my system when I was growing up) when I had my system.

- As many homebrews as I can get that have a box or a loose cart that look and feel like something I could have purchased in the 1980s.

- Any other homebrew items that come out that I can buy primarily to support the community and also because I think it's super cool that people are still developing software/hardware for this machine that I grew up with and I don't want them to stop!

I don't really have an interest in variations of game carts/boxes or prototype stuff as none of that is anything I owned when I was a kid. Do I think it's cool? Yeah, of course! But it's not where my interest level is at the moment. I actually have far more interest in new stuff coming out than old stuff that doesn't hold any personal meaning to me. I have completed quite a few of my collecting goals and now I just enjoy playing, sharing stuff with others, doing reviews, and helping out the homebrewers as much as they will allow me to!

That's where I'm at with things...

Reading through those Donkey Kong flyers again, I found this line on the DKJR one kind of funny...

"Watch how Junior strategically maneuvers his way to the top at high speeds..."

I think one of the complaints I always had about Jr (even though I do overall like the game quite a bit) was just how slow the character seemed to move! At no point does he ever seem to move "at high speeds...' lol

Reading through those Donkey Kong flyers again, I found this line on the DKJR one kind of funny...

"Watch how Junior strategically maneuvers his way to the top at high speeds..."

I think one of the complaints I always had about Jr (even though I do overall like the game quite a bit) was just how slow the character seemed to move! At no point does he ever seem to move "at high speeds...' lol

In the arcade version, and most home ports, Jr moves much faster when on two vines, and much slower when on one vine. On the ColecoVision version the difference is not very noticeable.

He's a gorilla and a baby... so how fast is he really supposed to be able to move?

As long as the programmer(s) got the speed of all the enemies in the game correct to make things playable, which they did, I don't see any problems. One of my favorite CV titles to go along with Pepper II and Mr. Do! and even better on with the Adam 5-screen Super Game version.

Here's a few more of the arcade flyers I got for my game room. While I realize not all of them became ColecoVision games, thought you'd might find them all interesting... (click to enlarge)

Time Pilot:

timepilot_front.jpg timepilot_back.jpg

Ladybug:

ladybug_front.jpg ladybug_back.jpg

Bagman:

bagman_front.jpg bagman_back.jpg

Moon Patrol:

moonpatrol_front.jpg moonpatrol_back.jpg

Crazy Climber:

crazyclimber_front.jpg crazyclimber_back.jpg

Asteroids:

asteroids_front.jpg asteroids_back.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 5

So something absolutely amazing happened yesterday and today...

Backstory...

In our old house, I have had my gaming machines set up attached to the TV in my office for a long time. Mostly it was my ColecoVision, original XBOX, and a Wii. At the old our house, I didn't have that much room in my office, so systems like the ADAM were unfortunately tucked away in the closet. ADAM specifically because of the size of the damn power supply (hello printer!) and also because it had been a long time since I used it, and I wasn't too sure what working order it was in.

Flash forward to when we moved into our new house two months ago...

I now have more room for my gaming systems and thanks to Rey and his awesome tiny power supply and also getting a disk drive for the ADAM, I decided to un-box it, and put it out with my other systems. I was playing around with it the other night so the keyboard was out and my daughter comes in and says "Ooooh! It's one of those old-style keyboards!" (Keep in mind we are mostly a Mac family so all of our keyboards are the aluminum slim style keyboards, even the one on her Macbook Pro) so she had never seen a keyboard like this before.

She starts playing with it, and she LOVES it! She asks me "Does this thing work?" And I tell her of course it does and I turn it on so she could type some stuff out on the screen. She sees that it says "Electronic Typewriter" and she's at least smart enough to know what a "Typewriter" is, and she asks me "Is that like the thing in Newsies?" (Google it....it's her favorite Broadway show...) And I tell her yes. So she asks "But then where is the paper?"

At this point, I told her I'd be willing to break out the Smartwriter Printer, which is probably the closest thing she's gonna see to a classic typewriter for a while, and plugged it in (Sorry, Rey!) :)

She was totally AMAZED by this!

adam1.jpg

She started typing away and LOVED it! So much that she sat there and wrote an entire story!

adam2.jpg

I told her that I could convert it into a "Word Processor" and she could make edits to her story and then we could type it all out at once. We did this and she made her edits and then we went to type it. I seriously LMAO when she started covering her ears when the Smartwriter started typing it all out! "WHY IS IT SO LOUD?!!??!" She asked! lol

adam3.jpg

But even with it being loud, she was totally fascinated by the machine in front of her as I realize that in her life, she's only ever seen things print out of an "HP Style" ink jet printer, and while this was something "old" to her, she loved that she was now playing around with something she had only read about in books or seen referenced in movies or shows. (Like I said, it's the closest thing she'd ever seen to a real typewriter!)

adam4.jpg

So she went away with her paper last night out of my office....

Today she comes in and tells me "I took my story to school today and told everyone my dad has an antique typewriter computer and I want to use it again to make changes to my story!" I was so impressed with this (proud dad moment here!) I happily booted back up the ADAM for her, and she started typing away in the word processor again. She tells me "No, I want the version that types as you write it!" That was just cool to her, I guess...real time printing as she hits the letters! Again, things that you wouldn't think would be cool to a kid, but she's never seen that before!

She once again typed out her story, and this time we even saved it to Digital Data Pack. And was like "Wow, it's an old cassette tape!" Again, she was just impressed with the whole thing!

adam5.jpg

I made a little video to share...it's only like 30 seconds, don't worry! lol

Going back to the original title of this thread... "Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision..." this is one of those defining moments right here. Something that in my mind I sort of thought would be uninteresting to a 9-year old became something she has asked to do two nights in a row, asked lots of questions about, and wants to know more how to use it. While I get that it's "old technology" in a way I feel it's also a learning experience. You can benefit a lot for your future by learning more about our past.

Also, this whole thing, as awesome as it is, has officially made me fee.... "OLD!" :)

Hope you guys enjoyed this little story....

• Like 19

Very cool! I think I bought my ADAM computer (complete in the box!) about two years ago, and when I set it up to test it with my ColecoVision multicart from AtariMax, I played with the printer a bit to make sure it was working. My nephew saw what I was doing and had fun playing with it, too, although I think he was too young at the time to write a story. There's definitely something about the immediacy of the typewriter application which appeals to kids.

• Like 1

Day three and she has asked to use the ADAM again to work on her story...

IMG_7776.JPG

It's interesting to watch her use it and the things that still resonate with a younger person and things that are a challenge. Like the whole idea of having to press the "insert" key when going back and editing part of the document and if you don't press "insert" you are over-writing the text that is already there.

Today I'm going to teach her how to save and load from the DDP. This has been fun! =)

• Like 4

Man, that is awesome! I dint have an Adam (although I would like to get one) but I have two Colecovisions and my two sons have been really enjoying them and we play virtually everyday. I too love the feeling of being able to share something from my childhood with my kids and seeing them really enjoy it as much as I did and as much as I still do!!!

• Like 1

Since the last couple sets of arcade flyers I posted went over so well, I figured I'd post a few more. It's just really interesting to me to see how these companies pitched their games in the 1980s and which ones they spent extra money on slightly more elaborate sales flyers. For example, the Carnival one is actually a 4-page folded flyer with the front page having "bullet holes" cut out of it that show through to the graphics on page 3. The Wacko one has the top cut off slanted just like the arcade cabinet! Anyway, enjoy...

Rally-X

RallyX1.jpgRallyX2.jpg

Satan's Hollow

satans_hollow_1.jpgsatans_hollow_2.jpg

Cosmic Avenger

cosmic_avenger1.jpgcosmic_avenger2.jpg

Galaxian

galaxian1.jpggalaxian2.jpg

Carnival

carnival_1.jpgcarnival_2.jpgcarnival_3.jpgcarnival_4.jpg

Wacko

wacko1.jpgwacko2.jpg

• Like 6

These are all really cool. I agree with Yurkie. Asteroids is my favorite arcade game and seeing the flyer makes me want to buy one.

Thanks for sharing. :)

You're welcome! There are a few people on eBay that seem to sell quite a few of them, and all of the ones I've purchased so far have been in GREAT shape, kept in plastic sleeves, so the sellers are highly recommended! I've seen a lot of people would arcade marquees and side art in their game rooms, but I ran across this idea of framing some of the flyers. They look really good in the frames. I'll post some pics of the game room soon!

I've got flyers of Mappy, Rally-X (same as TPR's) and Super Pac-Man, if anyone here is interested. I used them to make the boxes of my Team Pixelboy games, but now that these boxes are done and printed, I don't need the flyers anymore. :)

You can add the Super Pac-Man to my tab and ship it in the next box you send out to me! =)