IGNORED

Mame Universal controllers that use IL parts ?

Sargnickfury

I know this is more the area for cabinet guys, but I play my mame games via HTPC on TV, and am looking for arcade worthy controllers. Currently using a Pelican Rea Arcade stick....but not completely happy with it, have looked at the x-arcade but they look only marginally better. What I really would like in a perfect world is something the size of pelican or the x-arcade sticks solo, that uses IL competition joystick, has a universal board that will work with PC/360 and concave buttons. Seems like most of the Fight sticks are made with that Sanwa/jlf Japanese convex crap....... Does anyone know a place making such units with the IL parts? Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy parts and modify some Pelicans, and Xarcades as I can find them cheap.....:( I really don't have any experience doing even a solder to be honest)

I know this is more the area for cabinet guys, but I play my mame games via HTPC on TV, and am looking for arcade worthy controllers. Currently using a Pelican Rea Arcade stick....but not completely happy with it, have looked at the x-arcade but they look only marginally better. What I really would like in a perfect world is something the size of pelican or the x-arcade sticks solo, that uses IL competition joystick, has a universal board that will work with PC/360 and concave buttons. Seems like most of the Fight sticks are made with that Sanwa/jlf Japanese convex crap....... Does anyone know a place making such units with the IL parts? Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy parts and modify some Pelicans, and Xarcades as I can find them cheap..... :( I really don't have any experience doing even a solder to be honest)

Just buy an X-arcade and slap in some Happ Competition sticks. That's what I did with my X-Arcade Tank Stick (2 player model, with trackball).

The competitions bolt right up to the same footprint as the stock X-arcade sticks, so it is not necessary to make any modifications to the wooden case. No soldering or other wiring modifications are necessary because the wiring harness uses those little connectors that slip on and off the joystick's switch terminals. Just slide them off the terminals for the stock stick, replace the stick, then slide the connectors back on to the terminals of the new stick. It really couldn't be more simple.

I only use mine for MAME, but the PC recognizes it no problem and no special drivers are needed. The PC sees the joysticks and buttons as a keyboard, and the trackball as a mouse. It can be connected to consoles as well, but you'll need to buy the adapters for whatever console you're using.

X-Arcades have been just too over priced especially if I am going to upgrade..I found a good deal on a Dream stick via fleabay though, made for limited time by Dream Arcades, uses a 360 wireless pcb too! Sadly they no longer make them..... So plan to just make my own for a second one, will either use this as a blueprint or just grab some Mayflash controllers and rip em up... :D

Wish they still made these....

Edited by Sargnickfury