IGNORED

Gamestop to buy back and sell retro consoles

It seems Gamestop is trying to jump back on the retro 'craze' by buying used classic systems again and then selling them on their web site. Since they will give you $20 for your xbox 360, your lovingly restored Atari 5200 should gain you a ball of string. Your system will then be resold on their site for $200 as a large unreleased prototype retro system. They do say the system will be "reconditioned" and given a better warranty then available right now on the system.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/21/gamestops-going-retro-with-classic-consoles-and-games/

We've heard. I personally don't think anyone who is nerdy/smart enough to collect classic games is going to be dumb or desperate enough to sell their beloved obscure consoles to Gamestop. I know I wouldn't. Otherwise, I agree everything you said :grin: .

By the way, that link only takes the clickee to the engadget homepage.

Edited by moodorf
  • Like 1

25 cents for your gold Legend of Zelda cart... 25 cents for your Dragon Warrior 3, 25 cents for Stadium Events, can't buy Tengen Tetris in the trash it goes... $3 for your NES deck with power adapter and a controller...

Only 12 year old who can't use eBay and 72-year old grandparents who don't know how to use eBay would sell valuable classic games for a pittance. Are they still going to hog every top loading NES that comes their way for game testing like Funcoland did?

It seems Gamestop is trying to jump back on the retro 'craze' by buying used classic systems again and then selling them on their web site. Since they will give you $20 for your xbox 360, your lovingly restored Atari 5200 should gain you a ball of string. Your system will then be resold on their site for $200 as a large unreleased prototype retro system. They do say the system will be "reconditioned" and given a better warranty then available right now on the system.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/21/gamestops-going-retro-with-classic-consoles-and-games/

Not offering anything pre 85 or so I heard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5naRgJBPpTM

I guess they aren't accepting any consoles in the first and second generation. Can you imagine them trying out a 5200 controller. At a Game Over video games a month ago. Some girl that worked there got a Colecovision to have tested out to a customer. She confusingly kept trying to plug the game in the expansion module. I took the game from her and plugged it wear it belongs. Who hired her!?!?

So I just looked at the prices for gamecube games on the website. If these prices hold true they are actually comparable or cheaper to what they go for on eBay. Legend of Zelda games are all marked as 29.99 and Mario Party games are 19.99. I was very surprised.