IGNORED

SIO2PC Program for PowerPC Macs?

Tempest

Is there a SIO2PC program I can use with my PowerPC Mac? My computer isn't located near my Atari so I want to use my laptop, but it's an old G4 Powerbook running Leopard. It should be more than powerful enough to run a program like that, but I need to find one that works on PowerPC architecture.

I've used SIO2OSX before but I've never registered. The time limit has always bugged me and so I switched over to using AspeQt. Unfortunately, under Yosemite I have run into terrible performance problems: CPU usage pegging over 100%, constant pauses and delays during the simplest I/O operations, even when I compile my own version. Strangely, I can run the Windows version under CrossOver(!!!) without any of these problems. I haven't looked at AspeQt for OS Xin several months though - I should try again.

In the meantime, can anyone confirm SIO2OSX working under 10.10.3?

Still no SIO2PC USB Edition support? LOL

Sigh - I think we've had this discussion in the past ...

Why LOL? The author of SIO2OSX has said it would be possible to add support for the Atarimax SIO2PC USB but as there is no Mac driver support for the device it would be a large amount of work and he would need technical info from Steve. I did once ask Steve about Mac drivers for his device and IIRC he said it was something he'd like to do if he had the time. Guess he hasn't had the time.

So basically the lack of support for the USB version of SIO2PC comes down to lack of a driver. Not the fault of the author or the software. The program does work very well with a USB. to serial dongle provided you follow the caveats on the web page about getting the right device.

There is also sioserver from AA user Mellis which works very well with a cheap FTDI breakout board. I built a some cables for people a few years ago. I can't seem to find an active link for Meillis' download page right now though.

Still no SIO2PC USB Edition support? LOL

I use SIO2OSX with a FTDI FT232RL USB<->TTL serial breakout board soldered to an SIO cable. Works just fine. Single chip solution and works with all OSX SIO2PC software.

I doubt enough interest exists in writing drivers for and supporting the Atarimax USB adapter for the Mac.... many other simpler USB solutions exist that are cheaper and work with standard FTDI or Prolific serial drivers.

• Like 2

Hmm.. Small issue here. It never occurred to me that my G4 wouldn't have a serial port. Looks like I'll need to get some sort of USB adapter.

Pretty sure I have one still, even though I sold my SIO device a while ago. BTW: You can't use just any old USB to serial adapter. Have to use one with a particular chipset (FTDI) then install the correct (freely available) driver for it. Worked great with my G4 iBook.