IGNORED

PEB Splitter Boards

Ksarul

Well, I have the PEB Splitter boards in now, but I have run into a slight problem--I have 50 of the proper connectors around here in a box, but of course when I need that specific box it is nowhere to be found! I failed to mark the outside of the box with its contents and now I have no idea where it went--so I just ordered another 50 connectors, as I suspect I will get them faster than I will find the first batch! I may need more than 50 in the end in any event, so the new group won't be a problem to use up.

The boards themselves look perfect, and should do fine once I put connectors on them.

I REALLY need to organize my basement. . .

It has a distinct resemblance to a hoarder's nightmare space at the moment. . .which is why I really need to organize it again. I've got a lot of parts down there.

Gazoo sent me some chips a few weeks ago and they disappeared into the basement ether for two weeks. I found them when looking for something else a week ago (and immediately put them where they belonged (I actually do have specific places for important items) so that I could find them when I needed them).

Well, I have the PEB Splitter boards in now, but I have run into a slight problem--I have 50 of the proper connectors around here in a box, but of course when I need that specific box it is nowhere to be found! I failed to mark the outside of the box with its contents and now I have no idea where it went--so I just ordered another 50 connectors, as I suspect I will get them faster than I will find the first batch! I may need more than 50 in the end in any event, so the new group won't be a problem to use up.

The boards themselves look perfect, and should do fine once I put connectors on them.

I REALLY need to organize my basement. . .

Ah, 9 hours to your place from my new pad, or 5 hours from Greenboro. I think atrax and I might come visit you one day, and we can help .. umm.. "organize" your stuff. heh

I had to go and get a hundred or so of the 512K Flash chips out of their storage location this morning and when I turned around with them in hand, what did I see? A large bag of 44-pin right angle connectors. . .right in front of my face. If they'd been any closer, they would have bit me. :rolling:

I built a test board at lunch time so that I can send it out to my primary beta tester on Friday. . . ;)

I'll try and get some pictures up later today.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2

Here's what they look like, folks--as received and as built. :)

Is this part of what we discussed in our super long phone conversation about hardware a while back? :-) Can we put a straight up connector instead of the right angle one on there? We could stick a cartridge straight in there with some buffer chips that has access to the whole stinking bus.

Nice work!

The weird Right Angle Connector is to allow for the possibility of connecting a CF7 or NanoPEB using a set of finger boards, without getting in the way of either PEB chain. You can't have both powered up--and you'd have to remove the NanoPEB when using the PEBs, but you could easily connect it when they are off. That may or may not work--but I thought I'd include it in this experiment. . .and if it doesn't work in that mode--I just drop the extra connector.

The weird Right Angle Connector is to allow for the possibility of connecting a CF7 or NanoPEB using a set of finger boards, without getting in the way of either PEB chain. You can't have both powered up--and you'd have to remove the NanoPEB when using the PEBs, but you could easily connect it when they are off. That may or may not work--but I thought I'd include it in this experiment. . .and if it doesn't work in that mode--I just drop the extra connector.

Couldn't you use a NanoPEB or CF7 with a PEB as long as none of the PEB cards interfered with the CRUs in use by the Nano?

For instance - HFDC at another address than >1100, SCSI, IDE, Horizon Ramdisk, Rave Speech, Corcomp TripleTech.

I'll probably never get a NanoPEB or CF7, I don't have a need for them, just curious.

Gazoo

Hmmm... let me know if I can try one with my 9900PES. Email me :)

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

The PEB Splitter boards have been updated and now work flawlessly, based on testing performed by Atrax with the test article I soldered together last weekend. The third connector has been removed (it wasn't a problem, it was just an unnecessary bit of added complexity) and the connectors to the PEB feet have been widened a bit. The original boards had too much play and tended to short out pins at random, not a circumstance that would be acceptable in a daily use system. The connectors are now nice and tight--and I found some outstanding 44-pin straddle connectors, so the boards will be available for sale as soon as I solder the connectors onto them (probably this weekend).

• Like 2

The PEB Splitter boards have been updated and now work flawlessly, based on testing performed by Atrax with the test article I soldered together last weekend. The third connector has been removed (it wasn't a problem, it was just an unnecessary bit of added complexity) and the connectors to the PEB feet have been widened a bit. The original boards had too much play and tended to short out pins at random, not a circumstance that would be acceptable in a daily use system. The connectors are now nice and tight--and I found some outstanding 44-pin straddle connectors, so the boards will be available for sale as soon as I solder the connectors onto them (probably this weekend).

Awesome!

how much. i would be interested in a couple.

Here in Portland Oregon Terry Priest would daisy chain using 1 slot PEB cablecards to hook 12 PEB to one TI for printing with 4 modified RS232 cards per box and 2 printers per RS232.

He was doing this for the store he worked for, and did this for years.

The connectors I'm using now cost just about as much as the boards do (and are difficult to find unless bought in bulk, as the parts houses don't usually stock them and need a large enough order to make it worth their time), so the end price will be $28 each, assembled and shipped to US addresses. For sales outside the US, additional shipping would be based on the cost to ship to the desired country. I'll try and put up a picture of the current version of the assembled boards this weekend.