IGNORED

ST game reviewers wanted for the new issue of ST Gamer

Hello Everyone,

I mentioned this in the ST Gamer magazine thread, but in case people didn't see it, I created its own thread for anyone who might be interested in this.

I'm looking for a games reviewer to include in the new issue of the magazine, all I can offer is a free copy of the magazine and some great notoriety to been part of the ST Gamer Magazine team contributing to an Atari magazine some 20 years later with full credits for your reviews or special features you'd like to write about and when it's complete and online maybe we can send few bucks for a beer or two when it throws back some revenue for the work involved , interested?

If you are, please send me a PM on here and we get the ball rolling on what's required from you, I want the make this issue even better than the first and I know that the ST is really underestimated or isn't as popular as other machines out there, I want to change this and with your help we can icon_smile.gif

The Criteria we need

we are looking for good informative writers with a passion for the Atari ST and if you feel your the person we need, then we are on to something great here. These listings of games were already covered in Issue one, so no need for them to be re-reviewed.

Mini Reviews:
Manical Drop (Homebrew)
Carrier Command
Turrican 2
Populous
Enduro Racer
Ghouls'n'Ghosts
Lode Runner
Ooze
Pang
Super Cars 2
Space Crusade
Starball
Super Sprint
Rox (Homebrew)
Uninvited
Another World

Full Page reviews
Dungeon Master
Oids
Bubble Bobble
Llamatron: 2112

so if your interested in doing some brand new reviews on games not mentioned above, we would very much welcome them for inclusion in the magazine, as our goal is to be twice as big as the first issue if people are up to the challenge, all that is required for review contribution is the review must have a 245-250 word count plus a rating from 1-10 (1 - being terrible, 10 - being exceptional) for a mini review, the aim is to have at least 4 reviews across two pages meaning more games in the magazine. For the single page reviews if interested, these comprise on a complete page allowing the game to getting the high end visual treatment, but only one game per page to be reviewed with a word count of 680-700 words per game plus a rating from 1-10 (1 - being terrible, 10 - being exceptional).

if you have any questions or queries please let me know and I'll try to answer everything for you.

thanks everybody for taking the time to check this out icon_smile.gif

All the best

Darren.

here's a peak at the new cover for the magazine.

post-38156-0-41925800-1430138693_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 2

It would be fantastic to see some new faces/talent on-board for Vol 2.

I can only echo what Grey has already said here, we are trying to make Vol 2 something special and we've already put a lot of work into it and from a personal point of view, i've tried to listen to critiscms/feedback raised from my very early Atari Gamer Magazine days and even without Facebook, have put a lot of time into contacting Ex-ST coders, Ex-Atari UK people etc for ST gamer and various other sites, some you'll of already seen:

Les Player, Mike Fulton, Darryl Still, John Croudy, Geoff Phillips, Will Harbison, Paul Carruthers, Mick West, Jurie Horneman etc etc you've perhaps seen interviewed or quoted from email exchanges, but there has been a lot more going on behind the scenes, research wise.

But it'd simply be fantastic to get more of YOU from the community involved, games you love, games you loathe, lets hear about them and why...

Hope to see you guys/girls come on-board.

• Like 1

@Fletch, go for it.None of us are 'writers' and this is'nt a commercial magazine like Edge/RetroGamer/Gamestm etc (though recent feedback on those has said grammar and spelling have been as 'good' as our's in past issues :-) ).It's more about getting the real gamers thoughts on why a game meant so much to them than anything else.

If it drove you up the bloody wall, dissapointed you, let us know why, ditto for if it was a game that simply blew you away, be it from a technical point of view or was a classic case of not judging it on looks/sound alone....
We all started out thinking i doubt i'll be able to help much as i'm just me, no-one will want to read what i think or found out, i'd love to see your work.
  • Like 1

@fletch,Well fella, the reviews would need to have some sort of structure as well as your personal prespective on a title of your choosing from the requirements above, just need to be informative in your writing that the reader can relate too or if there something qerky about the game your reviewing, but must have a beginning,middle and ending as you why you like this game or hated it.

Hope this gives you a little help with it :)

Darren.

Edited by Greyfox

@fletch,Well fella, the reviews would need to have some sort of structure as well as your personal prespective on a title of your choosing from the requirements above, just need to be informative in your writing that the reader can relate too or if there something qerky about the game your reviewing, but must have a beginning,middle and ending as you why you like this game or hated it.

Hope this gives you a little help with it :)

Darren.

I'll give it a go. If it's not working out I will let you know.

• Like 1

Thanks fletch, we apreicate your efforts regardless, and hope that your stuff will be great, so that we can feature your work in the magazine, and who knows ? This could be your calling :)

Cheers

Darren.

nice front cover for the new mag :)

Delighted and glad you like the new cover for this issue, at least we got that right so far :), and maybe this will help you get your creative juices motivated to contribute a review or two or three etc...lol.

The premise for doing this magazine is of course to celebrate the awesomeness of the Atari ST and present it in the most highest of profiles it deserves to be, I'm sick of the Commodore Amiga taking all the limelight when in fact the Atari ST was a huge part of porting software and programming to the Amiga machine along bringing with it, its own classic and exclusive content. So it's time to get this out and show the world that the Atari ST is a force to be reckoned with, who needs hundreds of colours on screen to make an exceptional game? I know the ST doesn't :)

Kind regards

Darren.

• Like 1

Delighted and glad you like the new cover for this issue, at least we got that right so far :), and maybe this will help you get your creative juices motivated to contribute a review or two or three etc...lol.

The premise for doing this magazine is of course to celebrate the awesomeness of the Atari ST and present it in the most highest of profiles it deserves to be, I'm sick of the Commodore Amiga taking all the limelight when in fact the Atari ST was a huge part of porting software and programming to the Amiga machine along bringing with it, its own classic and exclusive content. So it's time to get this out and show the world that the Atari ST is a force to be reckoned with, who needs hundreds of colours on screen to make an exceptional game? I know the ST doesn't :)

Kind regards

Darren.

Hi Darren.

sorry but my English is way to bad, for I dare to make a review, so I'll just have to settle buying it :)

plus i really don't have any time at the moment, i am in the beginning of a big project for the ST,

so maybe if you make a 3 issue i have something to show for your magazine.

then do you think that 2 issue will be release?

Best Regards

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Peter and eagerly look forward to what ever Atari ST project your working on ;), great to see folk keeping this great machine in fully operational order. Too bad your not up for doing some classic game reviews, but hey I'm sure what ever you come with will be awesome none the less.

As regards to any form of release date for the Magazine, this really all depends on the amount of feedback we receive towards putting in the games reviews, the content at the moment is about 40-60% ready, we are hoping people will get involved with submissions to the magazine and really knock it out of the ball park, but if we do and I sincerely hope we do, we are hoping for a July or August release date this year, but only if we get the talent needs to make this amazing in every way. The design work is not the road block, it's the content that is holding it at the moment.

Cheers

Darren.

• Like 1

I personally feel the key to any article on any platform let alone the ST (or A8/Lynx/7800 or Jaguar) is balance and that's where at times RG has fallen foul.It's no good putting up meaningless tech specs if the games themselves did'nt use anything like the resolutions etc quoted.
With out trying to sound up my own backside here, i've interviewed enough A8/ST/Jaguar coders to get a good feel for what the hardware was/was'nt capable of and whilst i'd question quotes like more than competent versions of Star Raiders etc on the ST (i found ST Star Raiders to be very dissapointing myself), i don't think the ST was the hardware to try and bring things like Street Fighter 2, Final Fight to, myself.
Still personal views on conversions to the ST aside, i'm looking forward to the content everyones bringing to the table in Vol 2.

Just a mention, we had a few people interested in possibly doing some reviews for the magazine and wanted to thank them for their efforts making the first steps to getting in touch, but we need more people, if you feel this is something that interests you, please get in touch, there has been a few questions to the review requirements or lack of confidence enabling them to write a review, all you need to do, is pick a game that hasn't been covered in the list above, contact me with what you'd like to do in the context of a review and we'll take it from there.

But we need more people on board to make this the best St magazine reading experience and without your help we may have to put it to bed and I for one, have no intention of doing so if I can get the ST A-team together or getting the band back together like Jake and Elwood!! :)

Have good one, and please don't be shy, get in touch, there is some nice perks to getting onboard mentioned above.

Kind regards

Darren.

I could review a couple of games for ya! Would you need me to send pictures, too? I can write up a storm and rate pretty well. Would I be comparing the game(s) to Amiga (a primary competitor) or anything that people may be playing today? I would love to write for the system. I have a WAAAAY awesome 1040STE with a LOT of games..

• Like 2

I could review a couple of games for ya! Would you need me to send pictures, too? I can write up a storm and rate pretty well. Would I be comparing the game(s) to Amiga (a primary competitor) or anything that people may be playing today? I would love to write for the system. I have a WAAAAY awesome 1040STE with a LOT of games..

That would be amazing papa to include your reviews for the magazine :) , and there's no need to review them in a vs battle , simply reviewing what great games made it and were created on the Atari ST in any form you deem fit, if you read above you'll see in which way we want reviews made and word count etc, we supply everything you need to make it great, as with full page review I customise the review around the graphics of the game, making it both fresh and vibrate :) something the old St mags never did!!

If you wish to take it further, please send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss with further with you.

Against many thanks for getting in touch

Kind regards

Darren.

I'm working at moment on improving less known game Hard 'n' Heavy from Reline. It is probably sequel of Great Giana Sisters, but they changed heroes and look, to avoid problems with Nintendo - at least this is what I read. So, I played it already through and will yet couple times - for testing purposes, what means that can say couple words about :) English is not my native lang. , but I guess that you can edit it,

I can provide all game level pictures in res 2048x152 - 25 of them. All it is less than 150 KB in PNG format. And manual as picture too - taken from PDF ,

I think that it is little better than Giana - more interesting creatures.

There should be some infos about availability too: currently only couple cracks are around, and as I see, all are bad - can not finish all 25 levels because incomplete crack (some checksums still active). No image of original online.

I will publish soon fixed version for ST machines and compatibles, and version with fine scroll for STE, Falcon, TT .

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
  • Like 1

Hello ParanoidLittleMan,

That's a creative name you have there :grin: , Hard'n'Heavy , yes we know the game and I personally played a long time myself back in the day look forward to your fixed release of the game, as for reviews, we want the game reviews to be informative, entertaining and interesting to the reader to what made the game good or bad or average, I'm getting from your suggestion which plays more in line with a making of style feature of the game? which is not what we are looking for, rather than a mini review or a full paged review if possible. But We don't rule out a making of feature either, but this would need to be at least 2-4 pages, with possible interviews with people involved in the game along with what you've mentioned above to make it all one grand piece to warrant its own article and could be a lot of work on your behalf to do so.

But if you want to do a mini or full page informative review of the game , be my guess, we'd love to hopefully include it in the magazine and have you listed as a game review contributor :)

Have a think about what you wish to do and drop me a PM and we'll take it further :0

Kind Regards

Darren.

I'm working at moment on improving less known game Hard 'n' Heavy from Reline. It is probably sequel of Great Giana Sisters, but they changed heroes and look, to avoid problems with Nintendo - at least this is what I read. So, I played it already through and will yet couple times - for testing purposes, what means that can say couple words about :)

You should of course avoid using words as "lazy" and "silly" programmers in the review ;)

It was a while since i played Hard'n Heavy but i think the game had some awesome SFX... very good for using YM2149 only (no samples).

It is for sure a sequel to Giana Sisters... the artwork had to be changed to robots instead of the Giana Sisters.

If you want an uncracked copy of it so do i have it part of an compilation called "Milestones"... i have pic on my webpage of it: http://arcade.ym2149.com/misc/ataristgames/atarist_games32.jpg

I can make a SuperCard Pro copy of it if needed.

You should of course avoid using words as "lazy" and "silly" programmers in the review ;)

It was a while since i played Hard'n Heavy but i think the game had some awesome SFX... very good for using YM2149 only (no samples).

It is for sure a sequel to Giana Sisters... the artwork had to be changed to robots instead of the Giana Sisters.

If you want an uncracked copy of it so do i have it part of an compilation called "Milestones"... i have pic on my webpage of it: http://arcade.ym2149.com/misc/ataristgames/atarist_games32.jpg

I can make a SuperCard Pro copy of it if needed.

This one is well coded. Critic goes only to crackers - all maps are OK, but as said not fully tested, deprotected. Review should focus on game self, of course.

Image of original is always welcome. And I guess that Atarimania will like it too :) For me STX is best, but SCP image will be OK too.

• 4 weeks later...

We are still looking for reviews if anybody is interested in donating or writing up any? We are mainly looking for mini reviews now with a word count of about 250 words if possible, for each contributor, gets a free copy of the magazine , so what are you all waiting for? :)

Have a good one and hopefully make this the best god dam Atari ST magazine out there!!!

Cheers

Darren.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a final bump, we are still willing to take game review contributions for the magazine, have your game reviewing skills seen by the Atari ST community :)

Get in touch, it's not going to be long now :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

lol..Seems like I'm repeating myself here..very last call for those you want their name up in lights and forever been etched in digital and physical stone with the final issue of Atari ST Gamer Magazine. The Magazine is due mid-August of 2015

Word count for a mini review = 250 -270 words

Full Page review 700-800 words

all imagery is provided and composited for your great game review, PM me if you are interested and we will list the games that will be featured in Issue two that there is no doubles :)

Kind regards

Darren.

• Like 1