IGNORED

Lynx II Speaker Source

gilsaluki

Great speaker from eBay seller, cheap. Loud. No distortion. Made of Mylar, not paper. Quick shipper. Two for about $5, shipped. Same size (40mm X 5mm), 16 Ohm, .5 Watt. Perfect fit into the speaker clips. Must solder on the wiring connector, no problem.

Edited by gilsaluki

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a couple off Best Electronics last week. The only critique is that his wires are a lot shorter than the original, but the install was simple. Did a quick test by holding the Lynx II up to my PC's mic and playing Batman Returns title music. There's a FIVE-fold increase in volume from the old speaker!

Hi, first post here. I'll second the positive review on Best's speaker upgrade. I got an extra reconditioned Lynx II with the speaker installed a few days ago from Best, and wow. The new speaker was much louder, almost deafening. I compared the sound output from Toki,Klax, and California Games on my original Lynx and the one with the new speaker. There seemed to be more clarity and at the original speaker's max volume it still wasn't anywhere near the new one.

I received a Lynx 2 recently in good working order but very weak sound. It had the internal speaker replaced with what looked like the earpiece from an old telephone handset! It was a botch job, with the wiring harness cut and twisted onto the speaker wires and covered in clear tape, and the speaker was a smaller diameter so it was taped into the Lynx speaker housing with black gaffer tape.

I bought the speaker with the description "40mm Round Slim Internal Magnet Speaker Trumpet Horn 8 Ohm 2W" from eBay (basically the same 8 ohm 2W specification Best gives) and soldered it on to the existing wiring harness, and it works great. Direct fit. Very loud and clear.

- James

I agree, gilsaluki. I really wish Atari had better management that wasn't so cheap in its last days. Guess it made sense since they were always on the verge of bankruptcy. I'm still amazed at some of the forward thinking ideas they had with the Jaguar that didn't pan out. Even way back when Atari was pushing forward some ideas that were way ahead of their time. It's a good thing that the newer systems are still kicking, considering they were sourced cheaply.

HunterZero, that's a sad tale about the cheap-o speaker that was in your Lynx. Glad to hear you got a nice upgrade. I always had a Lynx II, never knew how much better it would sound with louder volume. I've never played a Lynx I but imagine that's how the speaker on that would have sounded.

Just ordered a new LCD screen and speaker today from Best and can't wait to try them out.

Last time I played my Lynx II everything was fine; didn't play it for a year or so and everything went to hell in a hand basket. LCD colors bleeding badly and crackly low volume sound. Seriously, how does a speaker just go bad? It's not like it has a foam surround that rotted out.

First I recapped it and that didn't make any improvement in video or sound. Installed a modern speaker that's much smaller than the original but at least it sounds much better than the failed one.

Thought about going with the upgraded modern LCD kit but decided I'd rather keep it original.

I remember buying the Lynx II brand new as a bundle with a ton of new games and accessories for less than $100.00. Also, the game boxes all had some damage due to a tornado taking out a warehouse which I believe was owned by Telegames. Just gives them more history and cool factor. :cool:

Received my parts today and there was no mistaking it was from Best Electronics as the box is covered in "pilfer proof tape" with ATARI and the Fuji all over it. 8)

Screen and speaker were $38.45 including shipping...ordered Tuesday evening and today is Friday, so very quick.

LCD is plug 'n play with no soldering but it is a bit involved. Takes about 30 minutes if you've had one apart before.

Be sure to take off the protective film. I'm glad Brad mentioned it as I was ordering or else I would have never noticed. There is also another layer on the REAR of the screen!

Very satisfied with the video and sound now. As time went by I kept thinking I was just getting spoiled by modern displays on tablets and phones but the Lynx screen was just crapping out more and more until it became unbearable this year.

No more color bleed even in games like Ms. Pacman. One dead pixel which is barely noticeable...think my original had two or three from day one.

Speaker clicked into place and came with the proper connector.

• 4 weeks later...

Will this speaker work in a Lynx I? I've been operating with no sound since I got it, though my Lynx II works fine.

Most likely yes, but Lynx I speaker wires are soldered in, you'll have to desolder/resolder them. However, you might have another issue there if there's no sound at all.

• 5 weeks later...