IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

I forgot about the NES version of Xevious. There was also a Super Xevious on the NES, but I am not sure if it was only on the Playchoice10 cabinet.

I knew there was a Famicom only, gold cartridge Super Xevious in Japan, that had more puzzle elements to it (such as destroy certain targets to move to the next level),

but it looks like there was also an arcade VS. Super Xevious, that was more of an updated Xevious rather than a sequel.

One day I hope to get the Famicom version.

I knew there was a Famicom only, gold cartridge Super Xevious in Japan, that had more puzzle elements to it (such as destroy certain targets to move to the next level),

but it looks like there was also an arcade VS. Super Xevious, that was more of an updated Xevious rather than a sequel.

One day I hope to get the Famicom version.

It's probably the Vs. that I played.

A bit of my own "errata" on Mario Bros...

The closest I can get to playing this regularly (since my preferred pizza place has closed) is either the NES version (via Wii VC) & the GBA Super Mario Advance cartridge (which has a few differences from the arcade). Anyhoo, I noted the POW switch regenerates after EACH bonus round/coin phase, NOT every 10 phases, as IIRR I stated previously.

Also, the timer on the 2nd bonus round/coin phase stays at 20 secs, not 15. You get 15 secs (& the invisible icy floors!) on the 3rd coin phase.

Aditionally, I saw on phase 16, when the drips/icicles form, the top floor starts & stays icy. The POW switch does NOT affect the icicles.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

Great episode as always guys!

I totally understand the move to a bi-weekly format. It's the same reason I changed my podcast to every two weeks....to allow for in depth coverage of the game that we are doing next while allowing for real life stuff and to not get burned out.

Always glad to see non Star Wars fans enjoying Atari Star Wars. I'm a huge sci-fi guy (Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who being my big three) and the arcade game just blew me away the first time I played it. Funspot in NH has a sit down model (as well as I think a stand up).

Really, this game could be considered the first on rail shooter ever released. (An on rail shooter being defined as where you are either directly controlling the ship or are right behind it and have limited movement of your ship, thus giving the impression that you are 'on rails'.)

I disagree totally about Sega's Star Wars Triliogy Arcade, though. F-ing love that game, almost as much as Atari Star Wars. It was a sad day when my local D&B took it out. Luckily it plays pretty well on MAME these days. And you're right, both games play OK with the mouse. In fact, I recall having at one time a fan made version of Star Wars Arcade on my PC where the mouse was the main movement control and it worked pretty well.

Some minor corrections:

How did you not know about the shield in Phoenix when Ferg just recently covered the game in depth on his 2600 podcast? ;)

Vanguard is not connected with Konami in any way. Vanguard was developed by TOSE and published by SNK in Japan (yes, THAT SNK). They were a small company back then, so they licenced the US rights to Centuri for distribution.

Konami and Centuri were separate companies. They did work together pretty closely. Back in those days, Konami licenced many of their arcade games to other companies for release in the States. Centuri released a bunch of Konami games in the arcade this way. They were never connected in a formal sense. Their first game was in 1974 and they filed for bankruptcy in 1985 due to the video game crash.

Parker Brothers did indeed have the video game rights to all Star Wars games during the golden era. However, that was only for HOME release. With the arcade games, Atari had the license. So you had PB publishing Star Wars on home consoles as Atari couldn't do it themselves. The same thing existed with Tron -- Midway had the arcade rights, but Mattel had the home rights.

Edited by SoulBlazer

Simple: I didn't hear that episode until AFTER we recorded ours. :)

Yeah, yeah, excuses. ;)

BTW -- for the record, I AM one of those souls who has ALWAYS read the manual to games, going back to the 2600 days. Before I even start playing. Still do that today (if they include one, that is). I always like being prepared and informed before playing anything. :)

• Like 1

Addendum...

FYI Robert Mruczek (the Star Wars Arcade high score guy) is the guy in "King of Kong" who was in his apt. reviewing Steve Wiebe's (& several other) videotpaed submissions.

I was wondering why that guy looked familiar. Feel kind of sorry for him. Almost a bit "craigslisty".

Yeah, yeah, excuses. ;)

BTW -- for the record, I AM one of those souls who has ALWAYS read the manual to games, going back to the 2600 days. Before I even start playing. Still do that today (if they include one, that is). I always like being prepared and informed before playing anything. :)

Something to do on the ride home from the store!

• Like 6

Something to do on the ride home from the store!

Some of us live in little hick towns far from the hustle and bustle of Chicago, and we have to drive 20-30 miles to even find a place that sells Atari games, and we can't take the bus so we can read the manuals, and we also like writing run on sentences.

• Like 1

Ketchup Time!

• Good Job as always!
  • Speaking of Arcade games with in game micro-transactions , I can think of two. Double Dragon 3 allowed you to buy power-ups and items with your quarters. The Main Event allowed you to buy more energy.
  • I too like the 2600 version of Phoenix over the arcade, even thought of course the arcade version looks better.
  • I believe Star Wars on the 32x was based on the original Arcade game.

I'm looking forward to playing along with the contest just for fun (not to enter since I'm good on 2600/7800 systems)!

Oh yeah. And welcome to the bi-weekly club! I can imagine covering 2 games a week for a podcast is a lot of work!!!!

BTW, do you guys have a limit on the years games came out? I noticed most of your games are early to mid 80's. I'm guessing that is because that's the era you grew up with playing arcade games.

• Like 1

BTW, do you guys have a limit on the years games came out? I noticed most of your games are early to mid 80's. I'm guessing that is because that's the era you grew up with playing arcade games.

I think we were toying with the idea of using 1995 as the cutoff, but we never set that in stone. (Especially because I really want to cover Fix It Felix Jr.!)

Ketchup Time!

• Good Job as always!
  • Speaking of Arcade games with in game micro-transactions , I can think of two. Double Dragon 3 allowed you to buy power-ups and items with your quarters. The Main Event allowed you to buy more energy.
  • I too like the 2600 version of Phoenix over the arcade, even thought of course the arcade version looks better.
  • I believe Star Wars on the 32x was based on the original Arcade game.

I'm looking forward to playing along with the contest just for fun (not to enter since I'm good on 2600/7800 systems)!

'

i thought the 32x Star Wars the Arcade game was based on the other Star Wars game based on the Sega model 1 board that also had the filled in 3d polygon graphics and not the original vector Atari Star Wars Arcade game. Go to this link http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9775

• Like 1

'

i thought the 32x Star Wars the Arcade game was based on the other Star Wars game based on the Sega model 1 board that also had the filled in 3d polygon graphics and not the original vector Atari Star Wars Arcade game. Go to this link http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9775

Hmm, you know I've always heard that Sega based it on the Atari arcade game. After looking at a run through of the original Atari vs 32X, I see striking similarities in the setup (Tie Fighters, Death Star Surface, Tunnel Run). I think it is possible the 32x version is based on the Sega Arcade game which is based heavily gameplay wise on the Atari arcade game. (Sub Polygons for Vector graphics and add more background and colors).

I think we were toying with the idea of using 1995 as the cutoff, but we never set that in stone. (Especially because I really want to cover Fix It Felix Jr.!)

Fix it Felix is new, but it's retro in spirit. No differently than covering Geometry Wars. Hey, even I enjoy a few post-1983 tunes now and then.

Hmm, you know I've always heard that Sega based it on the Atari arcade game. After looking at a run through of the original Atari vs 32X, I see striking similarities in the setup (Tie Fighters, Death Star Surface, Tunnel Run). I think it is possible the 32x version is based on the Sega Arcade game which is based heavily gameplay wise on the Atari arcade game. (Sub Polygons for Vector graphics and add more background and colors).

Ya, there are similarities but the actual 32x game is based on the Sega Star Wars Game itself, a home port of it. it has the player attacking the second death star and not the original like the Atari Vector Game

Edited by thevnaguy

EPISODE 12: HOME CONSOLES I

Part 1 of a series of Jimmy G and Sean discussing the home consoles they’ve known and, quite possibly, loved! Oh…and did someone say CONTEST? Listen to this episode for the two arcade games Jim and Sean will be discussing for episode 13 for your chance to win a lovely prize package related to this episode’s Atari 2600 theme!

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/episode-12-home-consoles-i

Edited by Inky
  • Like 4

A debatable good show as always. Just needed more 7800 ;)

Regarding the 2600 versions of Stargate/Defender II, I've actually found that the Red Boxed Defender II is the rarer of the two. I stumbled upon a few Stargates, but have yet to find a Defender II. AtariAge gives both a rarity 4, but based on both my experiences and how many listings you can find on ebay, I'm going call Defender II a smidgen more rare than Stargate.

As far as "snappy" names for Sean go, I'm going to submit Seany Badfinger, in honor of this guy:

• Like 3