IGNORED

Zaxxon conversion?

tep392

Has anyone converted the 32k version to the 5200. I think there are enough improvements compared to the 16k/5200 version to make it worth while. Anyhow, I'm thinking of taking it on.

update: Here's the final 32k binary that I posted back in June. I'm putting it here so you won't have to search for it. Please respond to this thread if you find any bugs or issues. I have only tested in emulation due to lack of a flash cart, so feedback from real hardware would be appreciated.

2Dec15 This is the latest with "death by invisible missile" bug eliminated.

zaxxon32k_final.bin

Thanks,

Perry

• Like 10

Has anyone converted the 32k version to the 5200. I think there are enough improvements compared to the 16k/5200 version to make it worth while. Anyhow, I'm thinking of taking it on.

Did it require 32K RAM on A8? Would it only support digital sticks or also analog too? And we could all use more Trak-Ball support. :)

Did it require 32K RAM on A8? Would it only support digital sticks or also analog too? And we could all use more Trak-Ball support. :)

32k for display and game code on the A8. 16k in the 5200 is enough for the graphics mode used. The game code will be in the cartridge ROM.

I'm going to use the same joystick code at the original 5200 cart.

• Like 1

The 32k version has:

- missle silo's

- ships move up and down and scale size in the space battle

- the final boss battle is more accurate. Have have to hit the homing missile or it will be fired at you. In the 16k version the robot just charges you and doesn't fire the missle.

There might be other differences I'm not aware of.

• Like 2

the final boss battle is more accurate. Have have to hit the homing missile or it will be fired at you. In the 16k version the robot just charges you and doesn't fire the missile.

This was always disappointing. I grew up with the 8-bit version and the boss battle was always 'shoot really fast and he blows up'. You didn't even have to move. I was shocked the first time I played the arcade version and he shot that damn missile at me.

I'd buy one. Would there be a (modified) box and/or cart artwork to go with the "arcade" version? I've never bought the original version for the 5200 because it seems to be hard to find and, therefore, too expensive when it pops up and that is a deal-breaker for me considering it's missing some key stuff from the arcade version. The 32k option would be much closer. I wonder if it's possible to include stuff that wasn't even in the 32k version (such as missing sounds and gameplay) as an option.

I'd buy one. Would there be a (modified) box and/or cart artwork to go with the "arcade" version? I've never bought the original version for the 5200 because it seems to be hard to find and, therefore, too expensive when it pops up and that is a deal-breaker for me considering it's missing some key stuff from the arcade version. The 32k option would be much closer. I wonder if it's possible to include stuff that wasn't even in the 32k version (such as missing sounds and gameplay) as an option.

I was going to post this for free, but I could probably make up some carts if people want them.

It's turning out to be a little more complicated than I had hoped. The first step is to get and xex version made from the ATR and running in the same address space as needed for the 5200. The issue I'm having is that there are multiple frame buffers and one of them is in the ROM space of the 5200. So I'm going to have to swap stuff around in memory which means a lot more work disassembling the code. Also there isn't enough room to have the startup graphics and all the game code in a 32k ROM. I will have to make a bank switched cart if I want to keep those screens.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to post this for free, but I could probably make up some carts if people want them.

It's turning out to be a little more complicated than I had hoped. The first step is to get and xex version made from the ATR and running in the same address space as needed for the 5200. The issue I'm having is that there are multiple frame buffers and one of them is in the ROM space of the 5200. So I'm going to have to swap stuff around in memory which means a lot more work disassembling the code. Also there isn't enough room to have the startup graphics and all the game code in a 32k ROM. I will have to make a bank switched cart if I want to keep those screens.

Would that be a 64K bankswitched cart then? I was talking to Sal at the Davis Atari Party about Tempest Xtreeme and how it wouldn't be possible to do on the 5200 unless a 128K bankswitched cart was designed…and a 1024K board would be needed for Space Harrier...

Not to thread hijack but Space Harrier would do well with the 5200 joystick…or the Trak-Ball. :)

Edited by Lynxpro

Ok. I've finished the biggest part of this project. I havn't created a 5200 binary yet. I've taken the 32k disk version, stripped out the copy protection/encryption, and organized the code to occupy the same 0x4000 - 0xBFFF memory space as a 5200 ROM. The attached file is formated as an XEX which you can run on any 48K or better 8bit computer. The next step should be strait forward. I'll change the hardware addresses for the 5200 and add joystick code.

Please try this out on your computer if you have one and let me know if you find any bugs.

zaxxon32k8bitver.xex

• Like 2

Ok. I've finished the biggest part of this project. I havn't created a 5200 binary yet. I've taken the 32k disk version, stripped out the copy protection/encryption, and organized the code to occupy the same 0x4000 - 0xBFFF memory space as a 5200 ROM. The attached file is formated as an XEX which you can run on any 48K or better 8bit computer. The next step should be strait forward. I'll change the hardware addresses for the 5200 and add joystick code.

Please try this out on your computer if you have one and let me know if you find any bugs.

attachicon.gifzaxxon32k8bitver.xex

Such talent! :)

Does anyone know if the C64 version is larger than the A8 disk version? If so, does it have any extras in it not included in the A8 version?

Looks like the Colecovision ROM is less than 15K.

Super Zaxxon is pretty good. I don't know why they couldn't make the ship color correct. Maybe that can be fixed. What would be cool would be a cart with both Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon. Would need to be bank switched though, which would add a little cost.

• Like 3

Super Zaxxon is pretty good. I don't know why they couldn't make the ship color correct. Maybe that can be fixed. What would be cool would be a cart with both Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon. Would need to be bank switched though, which would add a little cost.

Tep, you know you'll have buyers regardless. You thinking a 64K bankswitching ROM cart or better? Would RAM be needed too?

It's great the 5200 is getting love…

Edited by Lynxpro