IGNORED

Wanted: Feedback For Choplifter! & Karateka

nosweargamer

Choplifter is fun. What hurts it is the recycled sound effects from 2600 Combat.

Karateka isn't impossible to beat but you might kill a ProLine in doing so [as I did back then].

A nice homebrew task would be to improve 7800 Karateka's controls while adding back the rest of the game from the A8/C64/Apple II versions and with POKEY audio.

The bird cannot be killed, but can be avoided with no damage taken. Here is where not having previous exposure to any other port may help. If you're standing still, punching, or kicking, it will hit you. If you're moving forward it will not touch you. This is different than any other port of the game.

No because that is a stupid accident that probably wasn't even meant as an intended way to avoid it.

Yeah that seems more like a glitch to me. The bird is killable in every other version and in no other version do you not take damage from the bird when moving forward. The whole game is so poorly programmed I'm going to call this a bug, a beneficial bug, but a bug nonetheless. Also, what's up with the seizure inducing color flashing at the end there?

Karateka is godawful and Choplifter is subpar at best. Both were programmed by the same company (iBid) who also did the not-so-wonderful Hat Trick and the unreleased GATO. Their track record isn't too hot. I reviewed a prototype for Karateka a long time ago: http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/karateka/karateka.htm

• Like 1

Not to play contrary man here, but here's my two thoughts of playing them back in the day:

Choplifter was incredibly lazy, compared to the arcade and SMS versions. It felt like a 2600 game. Big, corny looking sprites. Only one level. Poor play mechanics. Timing/difficulty was completely uneven. It wasn't worth the wait for it to come out.

Karateka - so many people hate this game. I don't get it. Yes, the control scheme is odd. But I always took it as a strategy game, rather than an action game. Because of the consistently ramping difficulty, beautiful graphics, and addictive nature of wanting to get to the next "guy" to kill, made it one of the few non-arcade ports I went back to constantly. And now that I know how to get around that f-ing bird, I might just get to finish it.

Edited by 78001987

Karateka - so many people hate this game. I don't get it. Yes, the control scheme is odd. But I always took it as a strategy game, rather than an action game. Because of the consistently ramping difficulty, beautiful graphics, and addictive nature of wanting to get to the next "guy" to kill, made it one of the few non-arcade ports I went back to constantly. And now that I know how to get around that f-ing bird, I might just get to finish it.

It's not just that the controls are all wonky (although that does hurt it), it's also that it's an incredibly lazy port. It's missing an entire level (the dungeon), missing a bunch of guys, and the falcon is invincible as well. They basically cut 1/3 out of the game for absolutely no reason. Not to mention that the colors are fugly and they made all the guys look basically the same (no cool helmets).

• Like 1

About the colors of the guys you beat up, it's hard to take seriously some dude in a karate gi that's wears pink or neon green.

I know we all talk about how crappy the game is but has anyone given any thought on how Karateka could a lot better?

It's not just that the controls are all wonky (although that does hurt it), it's also that it's an incredibly lazy port. It's missing an entire level (the dungeon), missing a bunch of guys, and the falcon is invincible as well. They basically cut 1/3 out of the game for absolutely no reason. Not to mention that the colors are fugly and they made all the guys look basically the same (no cool helmets).

having never played any other versions of this game, nor even having ever heard of it before getting it for the 7800, I wasn't bothered by any of this.

having never played any other versions of this game, nor even having ever heard of it before getting it for the 7800, I wasn't bothered by any of this.

I suppose if you've never played any other version of the game then it might seem alright, but it really is a bad bad BAD port.