IGNORED

Bought my first Colecovision, and I'm only 22 years old

Pink

I'm only 22, there is not a lot of young people my age familiar with these antique video game systems, or a lot of people who love these old systems and love collecitng for them. I've been searching for a Colecovision for a long time. I've heard nothing but bad things regarding their reliability and durability so i've been put off, especially since they tend to go for over $100 used. And with all the things I read that can go wrong, never wanted to buy one from someone random on ebay who probably doesn't know about the general unreliability of the system. Anyways I found one on Tradengames.com for only $70, a seller I trust and who knows his stuff (and a member here at Atariage I believe) and when he says something works great I can trust him without hesitation, not to mention I've been buying from him for the past several years.

Anyways I just got it today! The console is in fantastic condition especially considering it's over 30 years old, works great, have to try a few times to get cartridges to work right because screen will be garbled, but other then that nothing bad at all. I went through and thoroughly cleaned all the games immediately (The colecovision is my 13th video game console that I own not counting handhelds) and I am very happy with my purchase! I got 6 games so far, and got a bunch more coming in the mail hopefully later this week!

Edited by Pink
  • Like 6

99% of the time you can get any game to work if you just clean it well enough. The other 1% of the time the ROM chip is damaged, or the contacts are damaged beyond repair.

With ebay you just need to buy stuff that the seller clearly describes as working. Otherwise you are taking a chance it won't work if they are selling it as is, or don't describe the condition. The buyer is always right on ebay, so you can get your money back if the item received is not as described. Even if the item was clearly damaged during shipping, you can get your money back.

You can get good deals on ebay, it just takes time and patience. Don't go for ridiculously inflated buy-it-nows, and wait for an auction that is priced right.

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

I just sent a PM to Yurkie about an AV mod and getting the whole system refurbished including the power switch cleaned/rebuilt whatever you call it, and getting the ball knobs installed and cords straightened on the controller. I had no idea somebody like Yurkie even existed that does all this stuff! This is so cool!

It took me 5 times to get Donkey Kong to work properly today without displaying either a solid colored screen, or a messed up garbled screen.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

It says in his thread parts aren't currently available for the power supply mod.

then go for a cfm40t internal power supply this is what im using and a f18a video board at this time its the best video quality for the price cause maybe the rgb with the freamister is better but so much $$$ at the end...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

I just sent a PM to Yurkie about an AV mod and getting the whole system refurbished including the power switch cleaned/rebuilt whatever you call it, and getting the ball knobs installed and cords straightened on the controller. I had no idea somebody like Yurkie even existed that does all this stuff! This is so cool!

It took me 5 times to get Donkey Kong to work properly today without displaying either a solid colored screen, or a messed up garbled screen.

I have a Yurkie modded system as well. It was money well spent. He is a true professional when it comes to overhauling Colecovisions. The pause switch, the arcade knob joystick, and pressing the fire button to bypass the 12 second bios screen is convenient. If you are interested in 2600 games as well. I highly suggest you getting the CV expansion module 1. It plugs into the expansion interface in the front of the system and you can play the 2600 library. They go for $25-$30 on ebay.

I have a Yurkie modded system as well. It was money well spent. He is a true professional when it comes to overhauling Colecovisions. The pause switch, the arcade knob joystick, and pressing the fire button to bypass the 12 second bios screen is convenient. If you are interested in 2600 games as well. I highly suggest you getting the CV expansion module 1. It plugs into the expansion interface in the front of the system and you can play the 2600 library. They go for $25-$30 on ebay.

I, too, have a Yurkie system. Bought from him with all mods available at the time, then re-modded with the newer power supply. My 2600 expansion module 1 came from him, as well. Everything is done top-notch. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well a quick update, I am up to 30 Colecovision games now. Got some rarer/uncommon games like Qbert's Qubes, a few Xonox games, Campaign 84, and a few others. I've been having lots of fun collecting for and playing this system.

2en937p.jpg

jt3x93.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

Well a quick update, I am up to 30 Colecovision games now. Got some rarer/uncommon games like Qbert's Qubes, a few Xonox games, Campaign 84, and a few others. I've been having lots of fun collecting for and playing this system.

2en937p.jpg

jt3x93.jpg

2en937p.jpg

jt3x93.jpg

Very cool collection. I am selling a few colecovision games also. Tomarc the barbarian with manual and illision cib. if any inetrest or anybody else pm me. Congrats on getting a colecovison. While ur add it, Get the Intellivision and the Atari 5200 systems and games as well.

• Like 1