IGNORED

Joystick Extension Cables / Solderless cable joining

I'm struggling to find a couple of joystick extension cables to connect to the multi-joy ( 8)...

The connectors have a PC style port with the screws and are recessed in the device:

post-19705-0-20035200-1432989509_thumb.jpg

I picked up a couple on ebay recently but they will not physically fit despite removing the screws (though are fine for normal use). They have a sharp angled pin surround - the multijoy is slightly rounded

Note: there are a lot on ebay purporting to be joystick extension cables but are actually RS232 cables (have crossed over cables / joined cables)

Alternatively if I was to join cables myself what options do I have the don't involve my terrible soldering skills - crimps? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

:)

I like using these:

post-14498-0-79096900-1432993921.jpg

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_109226_-1

with these:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_643794_-1

post-14498-0-05487100-1432993930.jpg

You just have to separate one wire from the ribbon to make it 9, put the cable through the connector and it clamps down and makes the connections. Might not be pretty to some though.

• Like 1

I like using these:

attachicon.gifconnector.jpg

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_109226_-1

with these:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_643794_-1

attachicon.gifcable.jpg

You just have to separate one wire from the ribbon to make it 9, put the cable through the connector and it clamps down and makes the connections. Might not be pretty to some though.

Thanks, these look good I'll see if I can find some in the UK (or free postage!)

You can use a grinder, rasp, or file to remove excess molded plastic/rubber so things fit. I have done that for a couple micro USB plugs.

I've trimmed some female connectors before but the ends are female (would be inside next to the pins) and the female ends on the multijoy have a metal surrond - plus I wouldn't want to risk breaking it!

Edited by therealbountybob

Doh! Found some equivalents on ebay but If I go for the ribbon cable and connectors the problem is moved to the Atari end (big connectors that won't fit) unless anyone knows different :?

So back to the solderless cable joining question (use old atari joystick cable [Atari] to new PC connector [mjoy]) - crimping?

Or another source for old fashioned joystick extension cables (atari joystick style females with thin surrounds on the male ends that could be manipulated over the PC style ones on the multijoy)

:)

Doh! Found some equivalents on ebay but If I go for the ribbon cable and connectors the problem is moved to the Atari end (big connectors that won't fit) unless anyone knows different :?

So back to the solderless cable joining question (use old atari joystick cable [Atari] to new PC connector [mjoy]) - crimping?

Or another source for old fashioned joystick extension cables (atari joystick style females with thin surrounds on the male ends that could be manipulated over the PC style ones on the multijoy) :)

Yeah, the female ones that I have gotten don't have that metal plate like the male ones do and I was able to dremel off the sides and they fit ok. I know you will be ordering elsewhere, but here is a link to maybe help you track some down if you go that way.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_12521_-1

I ordered these, but they didn't look like the picture. Like I said they looked like the male ones(except for gender), but without the metal plate.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Edited by invisible kid
  • Like 1

Hello therealbountybob

Maybe you can totally remove the metal from the plugs on the multijoy.

Sincerely

Mathy

GENIUS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so I put my fingers in and they lift right off!!! (as I'd already unscrewed the side screws) and my extension cables fit :)

will test this out next week with some of the new mjoy games (Up for Grabs, Space Arena and interestingly Zeppelin) from another Atari genius Fandal. Another joystick ordered on ebay - then I need to make up to 7 Atari friends :-D

Might still track down some of those posted by invisible kid too :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone another good days work here on atariage :)

Hello therealbountybob

The idea isn't mine. I read about it in a story about .... building a multijoy interface.

BTW if you're in the neighborhood, there's an Atari 8 bit meeting in Hochstetten-Dhaun in the western part of Germany in just under two weeks. Chances are there will be 7 Atari friends and a couple of them (not me, I don't have one) will probably bring their multijoy interfaces with them.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS we want a new picture, with the ports without the metal. :grin:

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1