Sega Master System Sports Pad as a 2600 trakball

trakball

8 replies to this topic

#1 Greg2600 ONLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 3,134 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 PM

Just picked this up last night.  I've been meaning to get a TrakBall for the 2600, even though not many games support it.  I know it's a digital controller, like the SMS Sports Pad here.  I tested the Sports Pad on CONTROL setting, and 2600 Centipede played really well!  Given that this can work on multiple systems, and it's humongous, I had to get it. 

th_DSC00979_zpsizb53z0m.jpg

Question: This should be compatible on the C64 I think?  Not sure if that means digital or analog though. 

#2 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,012 posts

Posted Sun May 31, 2015 9:01 PM

This works as a trackball on the 2600? I had no idea! I'll have to pick one up if I see it. I know they're not expensive.

#3 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,236 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Sun May 31, 2015 9:45 PM

It's got digital and analog modes, with the latter being Master System exclusive. I've not had much luck with these to be honest, though. Not sensitive enough.

#4 fiddlepaddle ONLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,520 posts

Posted Mon Jun 1, 2015 2:51 PM

I've had two, and neither one seemed to work very well mechanically. The Atari and the Wico both work much better, though I never tried to use either on a Sega system.

#5 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,670 posts

Posted Mon Jun 1, 2015 3:14 PM

I've used one for years with the C64, Atari's and the TI with Centipede. Thought everyone here knew these were compatible. :lol:

#6 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,236 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Mon Jun 1, 2015 3:50 PM

I've had two, and neither one seemed to work very well mechanically. The Atari and the Wico both work much better, though I never tried to use either on a Sega system.

I think the teeth on the gears are too large, honestly. I tried hacking one to work with PCs and it was a total disaster. I about damn near killed myself trying to play the Sonic the Hedgehog arcade game.

#7 Greg2600 ONLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,134 posts

Posted Tue Jun 2, 2015 8:46 AM

I've used one for years with the C64, Atari's and the TI with Centipede. Thought everyone here knew these were compatible. :lol:

Honestly I never thought out it.  I steered away from the pad because I figured it was just for the hideous SMS sports titles.  I didn't realize it had a digital mode, too.  When you say C64, did that system allow analog trakballing or was it just digital?

#8 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,670 posts

Posted Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:09 AM

When you say C64, did that system allow analog trakballing or was it just digital?

Only ever used it in digital mode. Besides Centipede, used it to control the pointer in GEOS since I didn't have the mouse for it.  :lol:  

#9 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,606 posts

Posted Tue Jun 2, 2015 3:16 PM

It's great with Reactor for 2600.  There are some games that seems to do better with trackball in joystick mode as well as mouse type game (1350-type) for Commodore 64.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trakball

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users