IGNORED

Anyone know Commodore 64 games?

trustey1

HI,

I have 3 commodore 64 Games I can not find the value of.

Breakers for the c64 by Broderbund CIB

Suspect for C64 by Infocom sealed

Power at sea by Accolade sealed

Any idea?

Thanks

Try playing them, and the more fun they are, the more value they have. :)

HI,

I have 3 commodore 64 Games I can not find the value of.

Breakers for the c64 by Broderbund CIB

Suspect for C64 by Infocom sealed

Power at sea by Accolade sealed

Any idea?

Thanks

Each of those first two games around $20 or so, while Power at Sea probably around $10 at best. There's no guarantee on values, though, ever, as they really do fluctuate wildly and often for no discernible reason. There are only a relative handful of games that always go for good money.

Know C64 Games?

Ofcourse.

Most of them don't equal quality of gameplay, even if they look and sound great(*)

* In terms of 8 bit computers back in the early 80s

While you're entitled to your opinion, I must say it's pretty ridiculous to say that one of the greatest game playing computers of all time featured a significant number of games with poor gameplay. If you don't like the gameplay from the Commodore 64 than I doubt you'd like the gameplay on any other 8-bit either.

• Like 1

As ex-owner of an Atari 800XL and Commodore 64, there are games where the C64 Hardware does'nt seem as well suited as the A8 and thus playability is effected...i.e Rescue On Fract. where the slower C64 version just got boring compared to the A8 version or Dropzone where if your after a slightly easier time, try the C64 version or Elktraglide which looses the vibrancy on C64 the A8 version has, the door pretty much swings in favour of the C64 so many times...

Give me C64:Arkanoid, Zybex, Thrust,Druid, Spellbound, Starquake, Beach Head II, Rampage, Fued, Panther, Green Beret, Gauntlet etc etc over the A8 versions anyday.
So yeah, i was a little 'surprised' by the earlier comment myself.
No offence intended , but the A8's gameplay was no better or worse than any other 8 Bit Home Micro.Hell the Sinclair ZX Spectrum had better versions of Robocop, Chase HQ, R-Type etc than the C64, but it had plenty of far weaker versions of games as well.
A poor game is a poor game, no matter what system it's running on.

As ex-owner of an Atari 800XL and Commodore 64, there are games where the C64 Hardware does'nt seem as well suited as the A8 and thus playability is effected...i.e Rescue On Fract. where the slower C64 version just got boring compared to the A8 version or Dropzone where if your after a slightly easier time, try the C64 version or Elktraglide which looses the vibrancy on C64 the A8 version has, the door pretty much swings in favour of the C64 so many times...

Give me C64:Arkanoid, Zybex, Thrust,Druid, Spellbound, Starquake, Beach Head II, Rampage, Fued, Panther, Green Beret, Gauntlet etc etc over the A8 versions anyday.
So yeah, i was a little 'surprised' by the earlier comment myself.
No offence intended , but the A8's gameplay was no better or worse than any other 8 Bit Home Micro.Hell the Sinclair ZX Spectrum had better versions of Robocop, Chase HQ, R-Type etc than the C64, but it had plenty of far weaker versions of games as well.
A poor game is a poor game, no matter what system it's running on.

There are so many variables in why a multiplatform game is better on one platform than the other, including programmer skill, what platform was first and/or the features were originally targeted to, etc., that, while it's fun to do the comparison thing, the reality is, it's very difficult to do one that provides a truly legitimate comparison. Particularly in the case of the Atari 8-bit versus the C-64, they're remarkably close in overall capabilities considering the age difference, the genesis of each system, and who was doing the hardware engineering, etc. There's nothing special about either one that would make one or the other play certain games better.

Funny, after all those years.

The good old Commodore / Atari

competition still exists ;-)

I'll give a speech about "computer

history" next month on a highschool.

One of the persons of course is

Jack Tramiel and his calculator/

Computer war.

Looks like the pros and conts about

the systems - given us by the magazines

are still in good shape?! ;-)

Greets

Stefan

• Like 3

Well, I'm not arguing over the Hardwarespecs. But there are games on the C64, you couldn't really name games. They look great and sound even better.... but from the gaming point they were bad.

Rescue on Fractalus , or even Out Run .... Test Drive...

Moon Patrol...

Even worse, Sentinel or better : Driller

There are really nice games on the C64 available (Turrican, Katakis etc... ), but other games are ... (xxxx) .... playable graphics and sound demos. (leaving out those "horrible c64 limit bizarre colored thingies"...

In this kind of discussion - which is supposedly about the hardware differences - which people assume? is what makes the game better/worse off... etc - where the hardware is somewhat similar - it's really about the peoples' talent and competency - their craftsmanship.

That it's not about the tool being used --- but it's really a comment on the programmer/team involved - ie. their talent. Which is reflected in their work.

Where the hardware is markedly different - say for the BBC, Spectrum computers - it is a wonder they can do anything at all, with certain types of games - for which the hardware was not designed for. ie. no hardware sprites, nor hardware smooth scrolling available. Which means it's their turn to have the advantage - when scrolling/sprites are not required for that kind of game.

Just as everybody's ability/talent is different and varied - likewise it is for those involved in gaming/etc development. Some programmers seem to fall into that Masterclass category - whereby when you've seen what they have done - their ability really stands out, as each of their project shows more and more features used/added than normal.

Whereas other developers are not in the same ballpark - which may be due to mainly the amount of experience behind them - in which they are only beginning their journey in this field. And I'm all for encouraging the newbies - if they are realistic in what they claim and make/produce. Even if a finished demo is not released - it is possible to forecast the end result from any early screenshots/mockups etc.

Harvey

• Like 1

Some very wise words here, suffice to say whilst the SID music on Driller and Darkside were stunning, games themselves really were not suited to the C64 with it's slow CPU and that's why games like Starglider, i feel really should'nt have been attempted on it.

The speed difference in Rescue On Fract. i really did feel made a huge difference to the game and turned something i loved on A8 into someting i soon tired of on C64. In ideal world i'd of been able to keep the 800XL when i bought the C64, but i was a kid, had to raise the funds as it were :-)

C64 Outrun, Chase HQ Wec Le Mans etc were dire, but then you had things like:Turbocharge, Turbo Outrun, Chase HQ 2 etc that showed what could be done.

I'd of liked of of seen more games on cart like Battle Command, but C64GS being what it was (epic disaster) that was never going to happen.

You'll never get rid of the good natured debate over which 8 Bit machine was 'better', they all suffered games which could of been done a lot better.

Commode Doors? Hahaha! I had never heard that one until now! When I was a C= guy, the Apple ][ people in my area called us "Commie Dorks". Not trying to start a flame war, just sayin'... ;)

I know. I'm not trying to start a flame war either. I think we're all past those days. It was just fun to say it like that given the circumstances. I think I got that from a small demo (written in BASIC) that poked fun at Commodore. I have another similar one that pokes fun at Apple.

• Like 1

People should do what I do, love them all, there's a special set of games on every system so why miss out.

On the gaming differences, I remember being at a computer show and a few of us were chatting with Archer Mclean and one of the lads said that there was a big difference in Dropzone on the C64 compared to the Atari, it was far easier on the C64 to which Archer replied, "When you have mastered the C64 version then and only then are you worthy of the Atari challenge".

But again I say, play all versions, you may just miss out on a really classy version just to keep in the fanboy zone..

My favourite version of Spelunker is actually on the NES but that never stops me from giving it a severe bash on the Atari, I just love that game..

• Like 2

Strangest generalization i ever encountered a few years back in a certain forums chat room was that basically all C64 owners at the time hated the Atari 800XL owners and vice versa...

Which was just plain daft as many of my friends found themselves in the same boat as myself at the time, pretty much 'forced' into moving from 800XL to C64 due to lack of software on the Atari, biggest games were always on C64/ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC, poor old Atari just did'nt seem to get a look in.

So we moved over, but still appreciated what the Atari hardware offered over the C64 in areas.