IGNORED

Early 90s DOS games

Ohh hellyah! Is it the duke config file or the dosbox config file you need to change? Is it as simple as substituting the 1600x1200 in place of the 800x600 I got now?

I am playing on period hardware, so I haven't used dosbox. However, you modify the duke3d.ini file. You'll see values for height and width, I believe. I've found out that Geforce cards tend to have the best VESA and run at 16x12 without artifacting. Voodoo 3 isn't as smooth. 16x12 takes a lot of horsepower. I wouldn't try it with anything less than a 1GHz P3.

• Like 1

I really like Raptor: Call of Shadows (top down shooter, you spend money in between levels to upgrade your plane with better weapons) and Zone 66 (4-directional top down shooter)

Raptor and Doom and to a lesser extent Wacky Wheels were **THE** games that convinced me that PC gaming was the way forward. It also helped that classic gaming emulation was getting underway at about the same time, too. For the first time I felt I was on my way toward having an all-in-one "console" that could do everything. And for better or worse I gave up console gaming in earnest and put all my "efforts" into PC gaming.

Probably for the better. Had I stayed with console gaming I would not have developed the incredible emulation and apple II collection I got going today.

Put all of my console playing / collecting on the backburner about a year ago to fiddle with machines from the 486 - Pentium 3 era. Still haven't really returned to consoles.

I discovered that I just like playing around with the different technologies, now with all of the accumulated knowledge of the past 20+ years to make sure everything runs as well as it should.

As unlikely as it seems, this knowledge is important to configuring and operating DosBox.

For me, retro computing with PCs is fun because I can assemble a system with top of the line parts from the era for very little outlay. BITD, each build used slightly outdated tech from the previous build, whether it was an 8-bit Sound Blaster or DIMMs on a Super Socket 7 board that could have used SDRAM.

I enjoy getting a system running optimally more than playing a game, actually. Most of the compatibility issues are gone if you research your purchases beforehand, something you couldn't do twenty years ago.

Have to mention one of the most impressive games of the DOS era, albeit mid-90s: Descent II.

What made Descent II special was its out-of-the-box support for two 3D accelerator cards: S3's Virge and Rendition's Verite. You could play the software-rendered version (great) or one of the hardware-accelerated versions (awesome), if you had one of those two cards.

This was 1996 -- roughly the era of the Saturn and PS1.

Add a Gravis Ultrasound for wavetable synthesis and a Hanaho Hotrod arcade stick, and you've got one of the best gaming experiences of the era.

(I bought an S3 Virge just to play this in DOS. Still looking for an original Rendition Verite.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I built a mid-90s period correct machine a few months back. Even found a NOS beige tower for $25 + Free Shipping. It's made up of an Intel MoBo, Slot 1 PII, 384mb ram, a Voodoo3 (a little new for the era), a SB-16 (PCI) and a 60gb HDD. I've got an CF IDE adapter I've been meaning to fit to the tower. Problem is that it doesn't have mounting holes that are standard in any way...

But I've been running a lot of DOS games. Mostly early to mid-90s. Some newer stuff like Blood 2. I was big into FPS and Mech games during that time. I enjoyed platforms, but mostly on consoles. I did play a lot of point click games as well.

Currently I'm running Win98 due to more USB support. But want to get that CF adapter going so I can boot straight into DOS or other OSes with less hassle. I recently acquired a bunch of old floppies from a storage unit. Win95 and original Dos 6.22 install diskettes. Along with some other odds and ends.

I just love old tech. And the days of being able to customize your machine are slowly grinding to a halt in modern PCs. I think that is one of the appeals to retro-tech. Lots of fun to play with.

• Like 1

I built a mid-90s period correct machine a few months back. Even found a NOS beige tower for $25 + Free Shipping. It's made up of an Intel MoBo, Slot 1 PII, 384mb ram, a Voodoo3 (a little new for the era), a SB-16 (PCI) and a 60gb HDD. I've got an CF IDE adapter I've been meaning to fit to the tower. Problem is that it doesn't have mounting holes that are standard in any way...

But I've been running a lot of DOS games. Mostly early to mid-90s. Some newer stuff like Blood 2. I was big into FPS and Mech games during that time. I enjoyed platforms, but mostly on consoles. I did play a lot of point click games as well.

Currently I'm running Win98 due to more USB support. But want to get that CF adapter going so I can boot straight into DOS or other OSes with less hassle. I recently acquired a bunch of old floppies from a storage unit. Win95 and original Dos 6.22 install diskettes. Along with some other odds and ends.

I just love old tech. And the days of being able to customize your machine are slowly grinding to a halt in modern PCs. I think that is one of the appeals to retro-tech. Lots of fun to play with.

I assume it's using IDE, correct?

Do a search for "DOM." Which stands for "Disk On Module"

You can basically get SATA-1 SSD speeds (150mbps continuous read / write) on a little "cartridge" that plugs right into your IDE port. It's way better than trying to go the compact flash direction.

I have a Dell 386 DX-20 slimline computer that I bought off eBay. I use it for games like the old AD&D gold box series games, and older games like Starflight that I want to run relatively smooth without having to fiddle with DOSBOX or any of that other stuff. I have DOS 5.0 running on it, with Windows 3.1 and some other utilities. I have a 512mb DOM that I plugged right in. 512mb was the largest size supported for the time, and since I only play games on it that are from say... 1993 and older, there's no chance I could ever possibly fill it up. I've got 100s of games on it, and still only takes up only 1/4 of the total space.

Here's a 64gig SSD DOM:

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zheino-Industrial-Disk-on-Module-PATA-IDE-44PIN-DOM-64GB-Vertical-Socket-MLC-/171301467095

Never heard of DOMs before. A cool solution given that NOS IDE HDDs are not cheap and used ones are a crapshoot. For my 486 and some Windows builds, I use a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive with a Startech front-loading CF-to-IDE adapter. You swap out the Microdrives like cartridges. Can be handy for different video and sound card configurations without having to load different drivers every time. You could have a different Microdrive for DOS, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95/98.

Yeah, I've seen them before. A little pricy when you can find IDE drives for pennies, and you loose use of the slave port.

That was the reason for the interest in the CF adapter. But I've decided I'm going to have to make a bracket for it.

That one above was exceptionally pricey. Most of the ones I've seen (usually smaller) are around $20 bucks. The CF slot seems cool. Have you checked Newegg? I saw 3.5" drive enclosures with CF card slots in them. There's also a bunch available online where the CF-card goes into a card that plugs into one of the ISA slots... so the CF card can be removed from the back.

Never heard of DOMs before. A cool solution given that NOS IDE HDDs are not cheap and used ones are a crapshoot. For my 486 and some Windows builds, I use a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive with a Startech front-loading CF-to-IDE adapter. You swap out the Microdrives like cartridges. Can be handy for different video and sound card configurations without having to load different drivers every time. You could have a different Microdrive for DOS, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95/98.

DOMs are awesome... they're primarily used for things like Thin Clients and whatnot...

Biggest benefit to the DOMs are the speed... they go as fast as the data through-put can handle.

I loved games like

The blues brothers

Commander keen

Rick dangerous

Jazz jackrabbit

Centurion

Lhx

A-10 tankkiller

Street rod

Need to dive into those dom's. I recently got a ibm model 30 286, without a harrdisk. Since this system doesn't have molex connectors, the only solution without hacking and not using a esdi drive, would be a isa ide controller paired with a dom or cf card.

• 5 months later...

Now I'm playing through "Pharaoh's Tomb". Old school platforming nirvana is what this one is. It's actually pretty exciting when you finally make it past a difficult section.

I loved that game, which is the sequel to 1991's equally awesome Arctic Adventure. The name "Nevada Smith" always cracked me up. Now I want to go out an get an XT or 386 and play them. I loved Dangerous Dave too. :D

Edited by Zap!

• 1 month later...

I like others loved Doom and Quake etc..

But my most memorable moments were with

Sierra Games such as:

Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure suit Larry lol

Lucas Arts with Full Throttle and Grim Fandango,

The 7th Guest, and Under a Killing Moon!

Edited by JaguarBrett

• 5 months later...

I don't even know where to start, so I'm not. But yeah... early to mid 90s was a really great time for computer games. Computers were becoming far more popular, and all the game companies seemed to be doing really, really well. Games had much better plots than they did graphics. I can't tell you how many games exist today that have great graphics, but there's really no plot...

Back then, all games had a fairly deep story line.

No one can forget the original System Shock either... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock

Yeah, I've seen them before. A little pricy when you can find IDE drives for pennies, and you loose use of the slave port.

That was the reason for the interest in the CF adapter. But I've decided I'm going to have to make a bracket for it.

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-40-Pin-Gender-Changer-FI-G02/dp/B00G0174IO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f55926c50bfda7f4cc606c5daeb7de6d

Will allow you to use the existing IDE primary/slave IDE cable, and still use a DOM like the one I linked.