New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

Ultimate 1MB Incognito APT PBI

1319 replies to this topic

#1301 lemiel OFFLINE  

lemiel

Chopper Commander

• 209 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:30 AM

Or maybe - Jon do you mean Soundboard core on VBXE which is not detected?

#1302 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,104 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:55 AM

I don't know where the undetected core was situated: Candle told me about it but later said there was some other unrelated reason for it not showing up. The detection method is very simple so I'm not sure what the problem is. I can only test in Altirra, and it works there.

#1303 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

Stargunner

• 1,353 posts
  • Starmaster Leader

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 AM

We put the day first in the UK, so the files are actually dated December. ;)

D'oh! Sorry for being a backward colonial rube ... :)

And again, thanks for the amazing work. I want to add that the "full" ROM you posted in that archive is just about ideal for my needs, in both emulation and real hardware. Fantastic!

#1304 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

River Patroller

• 4,316 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:12 AM

We put the day first in the UK, so the files are actually dated December. ;)

Yeah, in the USA the most commonly used format is mm/dd/yyyy.  While I think the UK's dd/mm.yyyy is a little better, I personally prefer yyyy-mm-dd.  It's ordered from most significant to least, just like time of day is expressed pretty much universally (hh:mm:ss).  As a benefit, it sorts correctly with an alpha search too and also does so nicely when the time of day is included i.e. yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.  Cheers.

#1305 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,032 posts

Posted Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:42 AM

Yeah, in the USA the most commonly used format is mm/dd/yyyy.  While I think the UK's dd/mm.yyyy is a little better, I personally prefer yyyy-mm-dd.  It's ordered from most significant to least, just like time of day is expressed pretty much universally (hh:mm:ss).  As a benefit, it sorts correctly with an alpha search too and also does so nicely when the time of day is included i.e. yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.  Cheers.

for sorting purposes you cannot beat yyyy-mm-dd.

#1306 Sugarland OFFLINE  

Sugarland

Space Invader

• 33 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 AM

flashjazzcat thank you very much for this new update! Got it working. Very excited. =)

Attached Thumbnails

• Atari800XL-UAVrevD-Dec2016BIOS.jpg

#1307 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,104 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 AM

Thanks for posting. :) I'm seeing a lot of photos showing the new BIOS running at various meetings and parties and I'm enjoying them very much. :D

#1308 tuf OFFLINE  

tuf

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:07 AM

I've noticed my U1MB is losing it's settings lately.  I replaced the battery around 3 weeks ago and the bios has reset again - prob only used it 3 or 4 times over the last few weeks.  I'll stick another battery in there, but I suspect it'll drain once again.

Any ideas?  The only update I've added was one of Bryan's video boards, but did that 3 weeks ago when I replaced the batt.  The first batt died just before that unexpectedly.

#1309 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,104 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:07 AM

What kind of machine is U1MB installed in? Random NVRAM resets with a good battery sound like the noisy reset line issue which was fixed by a cap between RST and GND. Alternatively, the machine could be overloaded with upgrades.

#1310 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,355 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:56 AM

Thanks for posting. :) I'm seeing a lot of photos showing the new BIOS running at various meetings and parties and I'm enjoying them very much. :D

Well it is the best BIOS. It does do everything the original BIOS did, and much more. Can recommend it!

#1311 Kyle22 ONLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,630 posts

Posted Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:54 PM

I just had an idea for a feature request. What do you guys think?

OK, I am running software that is in early crashy stages.  Everytime I find it locked up, I must press Fuji+Reset, then B to reboot. Then I must type COLD /N to turn SDX off.

I can't put COLD /N in AUTOEXEC.BAT, because I need SDX sometimes. That's why I don't just disable it in Setup.

How about a one time hotkey R that reboots with SDX disabled? Or even toggles the state of SDX for this reboot only (without saving any changes).

Only an idea...

Edit: like pressing L then ctrl-R, but one key at the main BIOS screen.

Edited by Kyle22, Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:59 PM.

#1312 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,104 posts

Posted Fri Mar 3, 2017 12:02 PM

I think recent versions of the IDE Plus 2.0 BIOS implemented a temporary SDX disable hotkey (X) which I could probably squeeze in (there isn't even room left for another menu item). The new BIOS doesn't do "one shot" changes to the config (the settings in NVRAM are observed at all times), but I can surely check for the X key during a restart and disable the internal ROM after the config has been decoded.

Hopefully I'll add this to the final, final update which I'm sitting on at the moment. The only other change is minor clarification of the keyboard shortcut legend.

Another thing I'll mention now is that there are still some folks out there who are completely unaware of the OS-independent high-speed SIO and SIO2BT support in the PBI BIOS and are using patched operating systems with the new firmware. This is totally unnecessary unless you're using OS A or B or some other OS which doesn't have PBI support. ;)

#1313 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,355 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:19 PM

For this kind of purpose I use the 2 profiles. Profile one is with a BLUE U1MB bios screen and completely setup but with SDX off, and Profile two is with a RED U1MB bios screen and completely setup but with SDX on. I think that does everything you want...

#1314 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

River Patroller

• 4,316 posts

Posted Fri Mar 3, 2017 5:09 PM

For this kind of purpose I use the 2 profiles. Profile one is with a BLUE U1MB bios screen and completely setup but with SDX off, and Profile two is with a RED U1MB bios screen and completely setup but with SDX on. I think that does everything you want...

It's a wee bit more effort, but I don't mind it at all.

#1315 w1k OFFLINE  

w1k

Stargunner

• 1,588 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 AM

ehm..

flashing ultfull.rom with latest uflash, but system halt on reading file 512/512kb

#1316 tuf OFFLINE  

tuf

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:25 PM

What kind of machine is U1MB installed in? Random NVRAM resets with a good battery sound like the noisy reset line issue which was fixed by a cap between RST and GND. Alternatively, the machine could be overloaded with upgrades.

It's an 800XL, fully socketed NTSC.  I put a new battery in a few nights ago as an extra test, and just now the machine came up to the bios setup with missing clock settings.  In an extra twist I'm unable to set the clock - pressing return to change the clock value just flashes the Please set clock! message at the bottom of the screen - I cant boot, exist, continue, etc.

The only other upgrade in the machine is Bryan's SVideo card, which I added after the first battery failure.  I took the opportunity to change the battery when I installed it, and that one ran down in a week.  This one lasted 3 days.

One additional note - it's not just the NVRAM resetting.  I'm unable to store new settings until I change the battery.

I'll take your advice on the noise - do you have link to a DIY on that fix?  Thanks!

Edited by tuf, Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:25 PM.

#1317 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,104 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 PM

http://atariage.com/...n-1200xl/page-3

#1318 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

Stargunner

• 1,353 posts
  • Starmaster Leader

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:35 PM

I'm so glad you posted this! In a month or two I plan to buy a second U1MB and install it in one of my 1200XL's. You probably don't recall, but I was one of the ones experiencing the symptoms you report in your own post with the fix you came up with. When I get that second U1MB, I am going to install the fix (I already have the capacitor I need) along with one of Bryan's UAV video boards.  

#1319 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,104 posts

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 PM

Note: we should thank Matthias Reichl for suggesting the cap fix. ;)

#1320 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

River Patroller

• 4,316 posts

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 PM

As stated before... a cap a day keeps the noise away. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, APT, PBI

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users