Photo

2600 Kong or Kong Jr.?

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Atari 2600 Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Atari 2600 Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr?

1. Donkey Kong (50 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. Donkey Kong Jr. (20 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 4:41 PM

Which one do you like more on the 2600? Myself I prefer DK Jr.

#2 atari181 OFFLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 3,459 posts

Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 4:56 PM

Having logged many many hours playing DK as a kid and never owning DK jr until i was an adult. I would have to say Kong. I have tried many times to get into DK JR, but it didn't catch my interest.

#3 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Total Retard

• 5,619 posts

Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 9:52 PM

It's a close one. But I prefer Donkey Kong. It's not the best Donkey Kong port but had great replay value. Donkey Kong Jr. is a satisfying port, but it's too frustrating especially the level placing the keys to free Donkey Kong and the electric sparks are tough to avoid in Mario's hideout. So Donkey Kong is my choice.

#4 Age-of-Atarius OFFLINE  

Age-of-Atarius

Star Raider

• 81 posts

Posted Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:02 PM

Original DK the quarter eatter was the bomb learning tricks like bouncing off wall on top level. 2nd level tough with timing jumps to elevators. Loved the flames chasing on three and getting hammers when they climb ladders. 4th pie factory was the best as most average players couldn't get there especially on the second round very tough.  But I prefered DK Jr the best.  Climbing vines and dropping fruits on snap jaws.  The super jump begining of level two a pain timing it sometimes. Dodging birds and eggs up top not so bad learning patterns of flight.  I actually enjoyed the key level as it was a bit of a challenge had to move quick up top usually all snap jaws got around last key.  4th level with water & jumping sparks a little difficult especilly when 2nd or third round very fast.  I forget what my top score on either game was but could eventually make a quarter last about 45 minutes to an hour of playtime.       

Edited by DavidSeaman50@aol.com, Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:02 PM.

#5 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,401 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:34 PM

Donkey Kong is slightly less horrible.

#6 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 11,286 posts

Posted Sat Jul 4, 2015 5:37 AM

I actually really like Donkey Kong on  the 2600. The Jr version though is to me, unplayable. I hate having to play any game that must be pixel perfect to not get killed. The screen with the sparks where you have to make sure your freaking knee is pointing in the right direction - ugh. That game's a joystick tosser.

#7 littleman jack OFFLINE  

littleman jack

Stargunner

• 1,366 posts
  • One day I will build tube amps.

Posted Sat Jul 4, 2015 10:10 PM

I'd DK a slight edge over Jr.

First, it looks more like the original.

Second, it's more fun, and less frustrating.

#8 save2600 ONLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,673 posts

Posted Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:36 PM

Jr. is not "unplayable" by any stretch, but hats off to Kong. ;)

#9 Mangia-Boy OFFLINE  

Mangia-Boy

Moonsweeper

• 494 posts

Posted Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:52 PM

Donkey Kong is more playable. I like it more.

The only advantage of DK Junior is that the game offers 3 of the arcade levels.

But both of them are very unmotivated ports.

#10 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,980 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:33 AM

Donkey Kong.

#11 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Thu Jul 9, 2015 7:25 AM

If I had to choose between these two, I'd go with DK.

#12 crom1970 OFFLINE  

crom1970

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:40 PM

Original DK the quarter eatter was the bomb learning tricks like bouncing off wall on top level. 2nd level tough with timing jumps to elevators. Loved the flames chasing on three and getting hammers when they climb ladders. 4th pie factory was the best as most average players couldn't get there especially on the second round very tough.  But I prefered DK Jr the best.  Climbing vines and dropping fruits on snap jaws.  The super jump begining of level two a pain timing it sometimes. Dodging birds and eggs up top not so bad learning patterns of flight.  I actually enjoyed the key level as it was a bit of a challenge had to move quick up top usually all snap jaws got around last key.  4th level with water & jumping sparks a little difficult especilly when 2nd or third round very fast.  I forget what my top score on either game was but could eventually make a quarter last about 45 minutes to an hour of playtime.       

Off topic, but I see your supercharger. I have games 1-10. Escape from the Mindmaster is my favorite. Which is yours?

#13 HUNKAPRITZA OFFLINE  

HUNKAPRITZA

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:31 PM

DK ALL THE WAY!!! 

#14 Age-of-Atarius OFFLINE  

Age-of-Atarius

Star Raider

• 81 posts

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 PM

I really liked Rabbit Transit.  Very cute with the multiplying rabbits.  Little did I know that you could skip the silly "Bear went over the mountain" every time you passed a level.  Simply push the red button.  No not the RED button!  I have no idea how many bunnie wabbits I eventually got up too, but it like five lines of 20 or more.

#15 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:06 AM

I really liked Rabbit Transit.  Very cute with the multiplying rabbits.  Little did I know that you could skip the silly "Bear went over the mountain" every time you passed a level.  Simply push the red button.  No not the RED button!  I have no idea how many bunnie wabbits I eventually got up too, but it like five lines of 20 or more.

David, you might want to consider using a handle other than your email address just for the sake of privacy. That is unless you don't care about unsolicited emails. Welcome to the site, it's a great one you are sure to enjoy!

#16 hepcat OFFLINE  

hepcat

Dragonstomper

• 512 posts

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:00 AM

Since we're talking about the 2600 versions, I have to go with DK. Both are terrible, but DK is slightly less terrible.

#17 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,961 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:31 AM

I love DKJR in the arcade or on the 7800. The 2600 version looks like a lumpy poo monster.

#18 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,988 posts
  • So Below

Posted Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:45 PM

I love DKJR in the arcade or on the 7800. The 2600 version looks like a lumpy poo monster.

On the 2600 though which one do you like better Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr. ?

#19 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,961 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 10:01 AM

DK 2600 ftw

#20 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,820 posts

Posted Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:13 PM

Donkey Kong, it's a good game written by Dan and Garry Kitchen, but I had no comparison to the arcade game so I didn't know it was a 'bad' conversion. DK Jr, nah couldn't like it

#21 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,448 posts

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:38 PM

Donkey Kong, I play it a lot. Never could get into Jr.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users