IGNORED

Is Jump Bug for the Atari 2600 possible?

One of my favorite arcade games is Jump Bug. A wacky game where you play as VW bug bouncing on buildings collecting money bags and diamonds, etc. I love everything about this game, the sounds the gameplay, everything! And I always thought it would be great on the 2600, but is it possible?

I would take on the task of designing the game myself, but I only a novice programmer. What do you guys think? It sounds like a great idea.

What is possible is often limited by your skill, time and determination. If you really want it then just go for it. You will learn allong the way.

I myself have a game in mind that I wish to program. What keeps me from starting at the moment is time.

Good luck in your project!

Looking at the gameplay video, (dunno how I missed this back in the 80s looks pretty cool) it looks pretty straight forward to get a good proof of concept going.

P0 for car sprite, get a simple asymmetrical scrolling background going, and go from there for a start should be pretty easy to get going and bouncing on buildings. That would be a good first step, then add in some more elements after that. :)

Rampage VCS has some good inspiration for buildings.

Rampage2600.gif

Edited by Jinroh

If it was possible on the Arcadia 2001 then it's possible on the 2600.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? The Arcadia 2001 was, generally speaking, rather more powerful than the 2600. With that said, I think just about any game from that era is possible on the Atari 2600, Jump Bug included.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? The Arcadia 2001 was, generally speaking, rather more powerful than the 2600. With that said, I think just about any game from that era is possible on the Atari 2600, Jump Bug included.

You think so? I'm honestly not sure how the Signetics 2650 to the MOS 6507 since almost nothing else used that chip. I'm a pretty big fan of all things Arcadia, but I don't see much that couldn't also be easily done on the 2600. Don't forget that UA actually did port three Arcadia games to the 2600 (Funky Fish, Cat Trax, and Pleadies). My comment was more of an observation rather than one backed up by technical facts. :)

Jump Bug is a pretty simple game all things considered (static screens, enemies don't move, etc.). Something like Hobo would be much more difficult to port.

I think it is well worth trying. Even if you aren't able to finish the game you will learn a lot about programming. Stuff I don't think you can learn anywhere else because you are so close to the hardware. And it's hardware that gives you nowhere to hide. The techniques you'll learn will be useful if you continue programming and all will be a prized skills.

I'll add to what's already been said and say whether a game can be done on the 2600 also depends on the players, assuming you'd be doing this for others to enjoy. Text based adventure games are still very popular with a small segment of the population. Same with crossword puzzles, sudoku, FreeCell, etc... I think the people playing those games enjoy themselves every bit or more as people playing twitch games that cost millions to produce and only run on leading edge hardware. Small segment but still very popular in that segment. You have a group of people wanting to play 2600 games which to me is a needed ingredient.

Movement of things on the screen is even more important imo than graphics. Graphics are kind of a crutch. Pong is fun to play. Always has been, always will be. I don't think implementing Pong on today's hardware, in 3D with great graphics and audio would actually make it more fun to play. Lots more people would be willing to play it just because more people can be tricked with eye candy. But I don't think the number of players determines how good the game is. At least not by my measure. Movement goes a long way to leveling the hardware playing field.

Sound is harder to get around. But if you can get it even close then the minds of players who have heard and played the original will fill in the rest and be tickled.

Edited by DanOliver

I think it is well worth trying. Even if you aren't able to finish the game you will learn a lot about programming. Stuff I don't think you can learn anywhere else because you are so close to the hardware. And it's hardware that gives you nowhere to hide. The techniques you'll learn will be useful if you continue programming and all will be a prized skills.

I'll add to what's already been said and say whether a game can be done on the 2600 also depends on the players, assuming you'd be doing this for others to enjoy. Text based adventure games are still very popular with a small segment of the population. Same with crossword puzzles, sudoku, FreeCell, etc... I think the people playing those games enjoy themselves every bit or more as people playing twitch games that cost millions to produce and only run on leading edge hardware. Small segment but still very popular in that segment. You have a group of people wanting to play 2600 games which to me is a needed ingredient.

Movement of things on the screen is even more important imo than graphics. Graphics are kind of a crutch. Pong is fun to play. Always has been, always will be. I don't think implementing Pong on today's hardware, in 3D with great graphics and audio would actually make it more fun to play. Lots more people would be willing to play it just because more people can be tricked with eye candy. But I don't think the number of players determines how good the game is. At least not by my measure. Movement goes a long way to leveling the hardware playing field.

Sound is harder to get around. But if you can get it even close then the minds of players who have heard and played the original will fill in the rest and be tickled.

I agree with that, I was playing Jump Bug recently at Funspot and was thinking about how this would fit in to the 2600, There's about 6 scenes in the game, and multiple objects that are being used in this game all at once (The VW Bug, The Jokers, Money Bags, etc.) So, I am going to keep planning this out and when I think I can take on the task, I will begin programming the game.

Oh, I feel silly, there's 8 scenes in Jump Bug. I don't know why I said 6.

Edited by Retroman85