IGNORED

Retroarch returns!

H.E.R.O.

Very nice.
I like the updated GUI quite a bit, and everything seems to work the same and better in other areas.
Only issue I was running into... the xmb wasn't working perfect in a few spots.
Also, it kept asking which emulator to use for each individual game. I guess I caused this by installing multiple emulators for the same system.

Besides this latest update, I really really really enjoy RetroArch in general! Makes emulation easy, lots of configuration, and is nice to have an all-in-one with the shaders options and pre-configured gamepad files. (Basically just plug a Xbox 360 controller in and gooooo!)

It is a bit daunting for someone who isn't used to having to look through all the settings, but I enjoy it very much for myself.

I hate to ask a stupid question but what is Retroarch? That website is kind of vague in describing what it emulates and how it compares to other emulators...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RetroArch is a (libretro API) frontend that contains a hodgepodge of emulator cores for a variety of platforms. How well or poor its emulation depends on the accuracy of the emulator core being utilized for a particular system/game.

• 4 weeks later...

The other way round cybercylon - OpenEMU is a RetroArch port AFAIK..

RetroArch and Libretro have been around for quite a long time, much longer than OpenEMU - although I do like OpenEMU at LOT, it's lovely front end and I use it all the time.

However if you are on OSX try the latest Retroarch - some of it's emulation cores are streaks ahead of the OpenEMu ones - N64 emulation is MUCH better, and it has the great BlueMSX core which is a superb MSX emulator.

BUT I am having enormous trouble with the Hatari Core - RetroArch says the TOS image I am using is good, but what ever I try and load gives me a weird "Cannot load J'\\tos.im" on screen error which means NOTHING to me sadly.

I have original Hatari working - but it's joystick support is appalling, an area RetroArch is excellent at!

sTeVE

• 5 months later...

I'm not familiar with RetroArch. Ran across this yesterday about how well it works, in spite of a crappy UI, on iOS devices. It contains a link to detailed instructions on how to compile and install it on non-jailbroken devices.

While I do have a paid developer account, I recently discovered that you can now get a free limited account that will let you install software you compiled on your own iOS device.

• 3 months later...

Quick update on the problem I was having:

"BUT I am having enormous trouble with the Hatari Core - RetroArch says the TOS image I am using is good, but what ever I try and load gives me a weird "Cannot load J'\\tos.im" on screen error which means NOTHING to me sadly."

Totally solved - now ST emulation runs beautifully - RetroArch's Hatari Core supports less disk image formats (ST/MSA) but is much nicer to use...

sTeVE

• 2 weeks later...

I like the new GUI a lot, it is going to look awesome on living-room TV's. Now if only I could settle on a wireless controller to use with it, I'd be a happy man. The 360 controller works pretty well for things like the N64, but honestly when it comes to anything with the d-pad the 360 controller is not my favourite at all. I might see about getting a couple Wii Classic Controllers and a USB adapter, but that means I would have to have a cord running across the living room. Not my preferred solution.

I like the new GUI a lot, it is going to look awesome on living-room TV's. Now if only I could settle on a wireless controller to use with it, I'd be a happy man. The 360 controller works pretty well for things like the N64, but honestly when it comes to anything with the d-pad the 360 controller is not my favourite at all. I might see about getting a couple Wii Classic Controllers and a USB adapter, but that means I would have to have a cord running across the living room. Not my preferred solution.

Best controller to use is the NES30 from 8bitdo. Works great and looks even better. You can order them from aliexpress for $30 shipped!

• Like 1

Best controller to use is the NES30 from 8bitdo. Works great and looks even better. You can order them from aliexpress for $30 shipped!

I'll have to check them out, thanks. How are the thumbsticks on them, pretty comfortable to use for extended play sessions? I have a Nyko PlayPad which isn't bad, but unfortunately doesn't work that well with Windows and the thumbsticks are so-so.

Does retroarch support the use of Bluetooth based controllers? That would avoid the problem of having a cord going across the room.