IGNORED

Top 10 favorite NES games of all time.

Contra

Castlevania

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (Even though it's almost unplayable in emulation once you get to Mr. Sandman. I wouldn't be surprised if it's unplayable on most modern flat screens because of slight lag. There can't be any additional lag.)

Super Mario Bros.

Jackal

Batman

Ninja Gaiden

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

The Legend of Zelda

Maybe. You could possibly replace one of those with "Metroid". I dunno.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

I'll give you two top tens! My overall:

Arkanoid - if you get the paddle controller!

Batman

Contra

Double Dribble

Duck Tales

Zelda

Mega Man II or III

Metroid

Ms Pac Man

Super Mario 3

Now these are 10 games UNDER 10 dollars that are a blast that you should always get for your collection: They may not be the best, but they are essential and CHEAP!

Bump n Jump

Burgertime

Donkey Kong 3 OR Galaga - very similar games!

Excitebike

Kung Fu

Klax

Popeye

Qbert

Spy Hunter

Toobin

• Like 1

Here's my top 10:

1. Castlevania III

2. Castlevania

3. Ultima: Exodus

4. Ninja Gaiden II

5. Ninja Gaiden

6. Rolling Thunder

7. Super Mario Bros. 3

8. Sweet Home (Famicom/Timewalk Games NES Repro)

9. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (Famicom)

10. Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road

Honorable Mentions -

Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Bros 2

Ninja Gaiden III

Hogan's Alley

The Legend of Zelda

The Legend of Zelda II

Punch-Out!

Kung-Fu

Karateka

• Like 1

I knew I would start remembering more favorites.. Here are a couple:

As mentioned above- Arkanoid with the paddle controller is so fun, but damn it's tough. Level three is maddening. Anyone master this level?

I can not believe I forgot about Little Ninja Brothers! I love this game so much.. Please try it if you have not. It is a great two player game as well. I'm still looking to buy a nice, mint condition CIB copy of this game. I've been casually looking for years.

Wild Gunman and Duck Hunt have also entertained me much over the years. If you play Wild Gunman, don't cheat! Keep your zapper pointed down at your hip until the enemy draws. It's so much more fun. Also, the mode where you fight a whole gang is fun and addictive.

• Like 1

In no particular order :

1. Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III

2. Metroid

3. The Legend of Zelda

4. Contra

5. Mega Man 2

6. Ninja Gaiden II

7. Super Mario Bros. 3

8. The Guardian Legend

9. Bionic Commando

10. Kirby's Adventure

No unusual titles on my list. This is the reason why the NES is my favorite system of all time, so many great games and many of the games that aren't great are still playable.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

1. Dragon Warrior

2. Super Mario Bros.

3. Dragon Warrior II

4. Super Mario Bros. 3

5. Dragon Warrior III

6. Mega Man

7. Dragon Warrior IV

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

9. Super Mario Bros. 2

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

I purposely made sure no series had two games in a row, but still this is pretty close.

1. Dragon Warrior

2. Super Mario Bros.

3. Dragon Warrior II

4. Super Mario Bros. 3

5. Dragon Warrior III

6. Mega Man

7. Dragon Warrior IV

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

9. Super Mario Bros. 2

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

I purposely made sure no series had two games in a row, but still this is pretty close.

So, uh Dragon Warrior huh? You really need to get in to CRPGs from the same era.

Now these are 10 games UNDER 10 dollars that are a blast that you should always get for your collection: They may not be the best, but they are essential and CHEAP!

Bump n Jump

Burgertime

Donkey Kong 3 OR Galaga - very similar games!

Excitebike

Kung Fu

Klax

Popeye

Qbert

Spy Hunter

Toobin

Are there really versions of Bump n Jump and Burgertime for NES. I didn't know that. I think the only ones of those I have right now are Excitebike and Kung Fu. Any one got extras of these they want to unload?

I don't know what exact order I would place these in, and I'm not even sure if these are my absolute top ten (I have played a *lot* of NES games). I'm only listing one in each respective series on this list, otherwise it will consist solely of Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and either Mega Man or Super Mario Bros., heh.

Ninja Gaiden

Castlevania

Mega Man 3

Super Mario Bros.

Battletoads

Contra

Zelda II

Double Dragon

Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II

Startropics

Are there really versions of Bump n Jump and Burgertime for NES. I didn't know that. I think the only ones of those I have right now are Excitebike and Kung Fu. Any one got extras of these they want to unload?

Indeed, they do exist. Both are solid. Burgertime in particular seems to be upgraded in a way from the arcade one and it plays faster.

• Like 2

I still remember when I first got a NES and my mom renting me "Burgertime" when I wanted "Mega Man 2".

Nobody has Faxanadu... Wow.

The problem with only being able to list ten is that I am sure many of us have played (and enjoyed) many more NES games than just that. I'm not sure how others did it, but I tried to only list games that I go back to repeatedly to this day.

If I could list, like, 50 games, Faxanadu would no doubt be on it! Loved it as a kid and a young adult, but I don't go back to it frequently these days (like a lot of other games).

• Like 1

So many good games on the NES, it's hard to just pick 10.

But right now my top 10, in no particular order:

- SMB 2

- SMB 3

- Kid Icarus

- Blaster Master

- Yoshi's Cookie

- DuckTales

- Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers

- Donkey Kong Classics

- Tetris

- Mickey Mousecapade

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't give you a top 10 cuz I really don't like this console. It's not the hardware it's the software I don't like. The NES was really good at translating the golden age arcade games that I love but the problem I have is that there's not enough of them.

I will give you a number 1 on my list and that would be Popeye. This game is superb on the NES. And a shout out to Super Mario which is a game that I played a lot of (like others did) BITD but anymore it's just not my style of game. I like playing a game for a few minutes and then moving on to something else just like arcade gaming back in the 70s and early 80s.

I know. I'm a relic.

This is interesting to me because while I grew up with the NES, I find that when I play it now, I want more of a short "arcade" type experience. I compiled a list of games just from this thread that provides an arcade experience maybe like what you are after. The problem is that the arcade was different when the NES was current gen, so a lot of the good conversions were of arcade games outside of the era you are referring to OR they build on the arcade experience and do something slightly different.

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Bump n Jump
Burgertime
Donkey Kong(s)
Double Dribble
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Galaga
Gradius
Gyruss
Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road
Kung Fu
Klax
Legendary Wings
Mario Bros
Millipede (Centipede?)
Ms Pac Man
Ninja Gaiden(s)
Pac Man
Paperboy
Popeye
Qbert
Qix
Spy Hunter
Tetris
Toobin
Edit - I forgot to add one of my own top 10 games which is a perfect example of the original arcade adaptations on the NES - RC Pro AM! (both games)
  • Like 1

I compiled this list with my brother when we went out to eat about a month ago.

In no particular order...

Mike Tyson's Punch-out

Super Mario Brothers & SMB 3

Rygar

Contra

Baseball Stars (I love this game!)

Bases Loaded

Tecmo Bowl

Dragon Warrior

Final Fantasy

Legend of Zelda

• Like 1