IGNORED

Atari 2600 no video

dymus9

Hey Atariage! This is actually atariaction here but facebook seemed to sign me in under my super old user id!

Anyways I've tried everything and now I'm certain that is is an internal component. Is there a chip or capacitor that is the typical cause of no video showing up? I have a solder iron as of late. Back in the day I tossed out dozens of systems. Nowadays I will try to repair. I'm hoping to save this one from the old fate. It is a 4 switch woodgrain. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Edited by dymus9

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply. Only took me 2 months to test and get back to you :) The screen is just black. Which IC chip do you think it is? Or s there only one? I have a parts machine I can steal an IC chip from maybe. If not are they pretty readily available like at my local electronics store?

Also would an IC from a 6 switch work for the 4 switch system?

Edited by dymus9

Chips from 6ers are the same as a 4sw. I would try the TIA first. That's the one on the bottom. 2nd choice is the RIOT, which is right under the cart slot. Riots can be bought from suppliers, but TIA' s can only be had from either Best Electronics or from another system.

What about ic chips from an atari 2600 jr, will they work?

Yes, but they are soldered in on Jr models. You can look up new RIOTs (6502) on ebay cheaply.

Zylon mis-typed. You want a 6532 chip, NOT a 6502. :) But yes, they're cheaply available online.

Edited by DrVenkman