IGNORED

5 button controller game opportunities

nug

with my recent addiction to spacerocks :) , ive started building a 5 button controller like the proto or rare 5200 unit..

Which got me thinking what else could this be used for... is a classic like segas "bank panic" style game feasible in dpc+ ?

a variation on street fighter perhaps? (block fighter :lol: !!)

regards

A controller joystick is just 5 buttons technically, but an array of pushbuttons would be awkward to play for most joystick games. You can get ten inputs with Player one plus the B/W, both difficulty, reset, and select. Some games even came with switch overlays to simulate a control panel.

You can glitch some games across many systems by pressing D+U or L+R since these input combos were generally disallowed by properly functioning controllers and never tested. Like Mario Moonwalking backwards in Super Mario Bros NES, or glitching through walls in Atari Ms Pacman by pressing down hard on the center of the joystick.

Edited by stardust4ever

Oh no, that is a picture of the author's Starplex controller, which was available for sale back in the day, you can still find them here and there. My wife made an overlay for the controller and naturally, SpiceWare has one. I think I sold 5 with those labels, but numbered and boxed. :)

post-1244-0-19016900-1390179882.jpg

• Like 1

you had me fooled with the labels :-D

seems odd they use the battery for autofire and not the console 5V!

regards

Yeah, that's just dumb to use batteries in a wired controller IMO. I use the +5VCC line for power LED in my custom controllers.

This would be easy to make with some miniature pushbuttons and a project enclosure from Radio Shack. From left to right, what is the proper button mapping and spacing compared to a joystick?

I could see using one for upcoming Star Castle as well...

Edited by stardust4ever

Yeah, that's just dumb to use batteries in a wired controller IMO. I use the +5VCC line for power LED in my custom controllers.

Maybe because other systems used the same 9 pin connection with up/down/left/right/fire on the same pins but with +5 on something other than pin 7. I believe the Genesis put +5 on pin 5.

Maybe because other systems used the same 9 pin connection with up/down/left/right/fire on the same pins but with +5 on something other than pin 7. I believe the Genesis put +5 on pin 5.

This is correct. In fact the only reason why a Genesis controller works on Atari is because the pullup resistor in the Genesis "Select" line passes enough currect to VCC to allow the chip to operate.

When the time comes for me to build my "Ultimate" joystick, which will use dual Yobo clone PCBs for SNES and Genesis (and be backwards compatible with NES, SMS, and VCS by design), I'm going to place a reverse bias diode between the Genesis VCC and Select pin to ensure the VCC plane never drops below 4.4V.

How about an arduino based device that takes up to 4 sega genesis compatible joysticks and converts the signals to something akin to paddle controllers? Converting left right up down into their respective paddle values. This gets you:

* Use of pre-existing joysticks

* No need for making changes to bB for 4 player support

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a cheap source for quality pushbottons? Radioshack is a bit overpriced (I can get 1 1/8" Happ arcade buttons for cheaper than those peanuts the Shack sells). I'll need them in bulk because I'm planning on incorporating some keypad designs in future controler boxes...

And to build my own Starpath controller :)

• 2 months later...

Never knew these existed but always wanted one since I saw it here. Would be perfect for pacman.

I don't see how this could possibly be better for Pacman than a joystick, especially a 4-way.

It makes sense for early space SHMUPs which involve CW/CCW rotation and thrusters, especially when some function is assigned to the down direction (like hyperspace) that you don't want to accidentally actuate.

Edited by stardust4ever