IGNORED

RespeQt r2 released

Joey Z

RespeQt r2 fixed a few bugs, added OSX support, and cleaned up some stuff.

More info on the github page for this release: https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/releases/tag/r2

There is a 32 bit windows build, it can be built from source on linux rather easily, and an OSX build will hopefully be on the way by DrVenkman.

The windows build is experimental for the moment, but less experimental than last time. You'll notice some DLL files are included. I am not certain that these are all of the DLL's which are required by RespeQt. If you encounter a DLL error, please submit an issue on github, or reply here (the former is preferred)

If you have any other issue, for that matter, please report it on github (preferred) or reply here.

Feature requests, reply here, or post as an 'issue' on github.

Some things currently on the todo list:
need to deal with AspeCL at some point
translations
- need new translation for German manual (which already existed for AspeQt, but is now out of date compared to english)
- translations may be broken
remove any other instances of AspeQt or mention of atari8warez, ray, or atari8warez.com, a8w - ongoing
sioworker.cpp: have devices provide they're own string for debug output? - SioWorker::deviceName
update docs for changes - perpetual :)
Qt4 version?
R: support
SDFS folder imaging
fix include path for windows, seems QZlib is not used, just ordinary zlib

better printer support - MX-80 and 1020, possibly others. direct to file, full 8 bit support

VAPI/ATX

• Like 2

Okay - Mac users, give this a try. It's considerably larger than prior versions because I finally figured out the utterly crap-tastic Qt documentation for OS X app deployment. The Qt libraries necessary to use the application are now stored as OS X "frameworks" contained within the app bundle. So if you have a Mac and do NOT have Qt installed, please give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Please note: this is still a 64-bit app so it will not run on 10.6 or earlier. I have to compile a separate 32-bit version of Qt which isn't very hard, just time consuming. Hopefully after I get my hardware mods straightened out I'll be able to get to it (sorry FJC!!).

https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/releases/download/r2/RespeQt.dmg

• Like 1

Windows build of r2 appears to work fine on Windows 10. RespeQt r2 window resizes properly along with the info display. I played a quick game of Zork, also mounted a drive 2 image and Atari DOS 2.5. Just a brief test, but everything worked. The SIO to usb FT232R driver also auto downloaded fine on this new os which was a relief.

Anyone able to test the OS X build?

I have noticed one thing new - not a real problem but a little annoying: dragging and dropping files into drive slots or from one slot to another seems like it's in slooooow motion or pulling the mouse through molasses. CPU usage seems to spike up >100% during those operations as well. Once you release the mouse to complete the click-and-drag, CPU usage drops back to normal. Actual file transfers seem to be working well, though I haven't tested as much as I normally do. Been up to my elbows in trying to get my new U1MB working right in a 1200XL, which has been a long story (tl;dr: it's not going well).

Hello guys

What exactly is respeQt?

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi, Mathy.

RespeQt is a fork of the AspeQt project, aimed at cleaning up the code, making run better and more efficiently on Macs and Linux machines, and adding new functionality.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239954-respeqt-fork-of-aspeqt-100-preview7r79/

• Like 1

Not to completely derail the thread, but yeah! I'll be sticking with 7 until they drop support for it.

Well, it was just a test on one particular laptop that I just upgraded to Win10. I opted out on as much of the telemetry/tracking stuff as I could during installation.

Defender, I consider an antivirus/antimalware service so it's on.

I normally use Windows XP sp3 on a netbook for SIO to usb....eee pc fits well atop a 1050 floppy drive.

Hello guys

RespeQt is a fork of the AspeQt project, aimed at cleaning up the code, making run better and more efficiently on Macs and Linux machines, and adding new functionality.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239954-respeqt-fork-of-aspeqt-100-preview7r79/

The fact that I couldn't get AspeQt to work on my iMac probably made me overlook that topic.

Sincerely

Mathy (who's running OS X 10.11 public beta 2 at the moment)

Hello guys

The fact that I couldn't get AspeQt to work on my iMac probably made me overlook that topic.

Sincerely

Mathy (who's running OS X 10.11 public beta 2 at the moment)

Have you tested RespeQt r2, which I linked up in post #3? It would be nice to know if it actually does work for Mac users without the Qt libraries installed.

Hello DrVenkman

I've installed it. Doesn't seem to do anything funny, but "File Disk Tool Window Help" is in the pop up window now instead of in the row where "RespeQt" is shown (no pun intended!). And in the lower right hand corner, if you go over the icons ("start SIO peripheral emulation", etc.), as soon as the description of the icon show in the mini-window with the yellow background, the description in the lower left side doesn't change when you move the mouse to another icon.

I'ld try RespeQt later. It's almost 2 in the morning over here. By the time I've grabbed an Atari, plugged it in, switched on the monitor, plugged in the SIO2PCviaUSB and boot the Atari.......

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello DrVenkman

I've installed it. Doesn't seem to do anything funny, but "File Disk Tool Window Help" is in the pop up window now instead of in the row where "RespeQt" is shown (no pun intended!). And in the lower right hand corner, if you go over the icons ("start SIO peripheral emulation", etc.), as soon as the description of the icon show in the mini-window with the yellow background, the description in the lower left side doesn't change when you move the mouse to another icon.

I'ld try RespeQt later. It's almost 2 in the morning over here. By the time I've grabbed an Atari, plugged it in, switched on the monitor, plugged in the SIO2PCviaUSB and boot the Atari.......

Sincerely

Mathy

Okay took me a second to figure what you meant until I opened up RespeQt to see - those are all expected behavior, based on how Qt builds apps that are basically platform-independent. The RespeQt menu bar is in the application itself, not at the Menu Bar like most OS X applications. The little yellow window is a "tooltip." I can duplicate what you mean. Until the tooltip disappears, the description of the icon over which you're hovering won't change. This shouldn't affect functionality.

Once you have a chance to mount some .ATR images, load .XEX files, etc. please let us know if it's working for you.

Didn't some OS X builds of AspeQt manage to put the application menu bar in the expected position? Is there a compiler setting for that?

I'll have to look into that. I'd like it too, at least as an option. I mean, from a usability standpoint, it makes sense to do so for consistent look-feel, like most other OS X apps. However, sometimes the fact that the RespeQt/AspeQt window is pretty small is a good thing. I leave it parked in the corner of the screen and work on other things. To bring it to the foreground, I usually click in the RespeQt window, so the fact that the RespeQt menu is right there nearby is handy.

Maybe I can play around and see if I can implement something with this stuff:

QMenuBar on OS X

QMenuBar on OS X is a wrapper for using the system-wide menu bar. If you have multiple menu bars in one dialog the outermost menu bar (normally inside a widget with widget flag Qt::Window) will be used for the system-wide menu bar.

Qt for OS X also provides a menu bar merging feature to make QMenuBar conform more closely to accepted OS X menu bar layout. The merging functionality is based on string matching the title of a QMenu entry. These strings are translated (using QObject::tr()) in the "QMenuBar" context. If an entry is moved its slots will still fire as if it was in the original place...

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmenubar.html

Didn't some OS X builds of AspeQt manage to put the application menu bar in the expected position? Is there a compiler setting for that?

The location for the menu bar is determined by software. There is an option, something like nativeMenuBar, which has been manually disabled. Unfortunately, that setting causes issues on certain platforms, so I disabled. This option is in mainwindow.ui, I don't think any conditionals are allowed here, so the only way to turn it on and off is by changing it. Since the menu still exists, I trust it's not a problem which prevents use of the application, and therefore is not really a bug.

The location for the menu bar is determined by software. There is an option, something like nativeMenuBar, which has been manually disabled. Unfortunately, that setting causes issues on certain platforms, so I disabled. This option is in mainwindow.ui, I don't think any conditionals are allowed here, so the only way to turn it on and off is by changing it. Since the menu still exists, I trust it's not a problem which prevents use of the application, and therefore is not really a bug.

Hmm. Is there any way to make the code which calls mainwindow.ui itself conditional? Have that code call one version if the RespeQt is compiled for Windows, one version if for Linux, one version if for OS X? In other words, have different versions of mainwindow.ui for different platforms?

EDITED TO ADD: Huh. It's one check button in the Design template in Qt Creator ... I'm happy to (try to remember to!) click that button when I build the OS X versions, if Mac users prefer. I kinda like it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%208.00.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%208.00.2

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

Hmm. Is there any way to make the code which calls mainwindow.ui itself conditional? Have that code call one version if the RespeQt is compiled for Windows, one version if for Linux, one version if for OS X? In other words, have different versions of mainwindow.ui for different platforms?

EDITED TO ADD: Huh. It's one check button in the Design template in Qt Creator ... I'm happy to (try to remember to!) click that button when I build the OS X versions, if Mac users prefer. I kinda like it.

Well, if it's that simple, I see no reason not to. Adding what would amount to nearly an exact copy of the .ui file, with just that small change, in order to support this on mac would seem a rather clunky way to do it. I thought about it a little, and I think it should suffice to add a bit of conditional compilation in mainwindow.cpp to make a call to the menu bar to turn 'native mode' on, if that's even a possibility. Qt compiles the .ui files into a header file (ui_insertfilenamehere.h) which includes all the calls to create the form described by the .ui file. This file could be edited to include the conditional compilation, but it would have to be edited any time the ui changes and is recompiled, at the very least. I'll have to take a look, and see if the code to initalize everything in this header is separate from the code to make it all visible. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to change the menubar mode when it's visible, but I can't guarantee it would work. Anyway, even if I do implement this fix I have no way to test it on OSX here (yet, my hackintosh install seems to freeze, but I think there's a way around it).

Also, I have been hesitant to do any commits to RespeQt over the last few days. I am starting to work on bigger feature implementations now, and I'm not yet sure how I want to organize the source tree, as far as branches go. Do I make a branch for each major feature? Or do I make a branch for the next release, as I've been doing when I was just fixing small bugs? I haven't decided yet, and I think I'll have to look more into git branches to figure out how I'll do it.

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could add the OSX menu bar thing as an 'issue' on github. I've already created a couple issues there you can use as a guide for what I think an 'issue' should look like. I have a 'todo.txt' here which I should also create 'issues' for the items in. This way, I can track any progress on that stuff.

The 'Issues' section can be for more than just issues, it works as feature request as well, and I think it'll work well as a general list of things to do...

I'd do it myself, but I'm busy reading the atari SIO spec, and then I'll be making a rough flowchart for the 850 firmware so I can understand what I need to do as far as emulating it.

Edited by Joey Z

Hello guys

Just tried a couple of ATR's. TotalDaze.ATR won't load past sector 2 on my 64kB 600XL. In Atari800Mac it loads fine.

And I see this from time to time on different ATR's (my collection isn't that big).

[Device $4f] command: $40, aux: $0000 ignored [xsomenumber]

Sometimes loading continues after that, sometimes it doesn't.

BTW for testing it might be nice if you could enable "copying" from the window that shows the above line/what's going on. Using "copy and paste" is so much easier than having to typing something in that's shown in a different window. And being able to enlarge the window would be nice too.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I just double clicked on the small window. A new window opens which shows the complete log. And the contents can be "copy and paste"ed.