IGNORED

Space Rocks

Opry99er

Yes, it's available in the AtariAge Store:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1031

It's really an amazing rendition of Asteroids for the 2600, also borrowing elements from Asteroids Deluxe. Darrell Spice, Jr. created a special Tournament Edition version of the game for the Classic Game Fest last weekend, which ensured that most people died relatively quickly. :)

..Al

• Like 1

You must get this game! Don't give it a seoond thought. IMHO this is the best Asteroids clone for the 2600. It's full of options...classic (popcorn looking) asteroids or vector, head-to-head or co-op play and you can even choose to add the Magna-Mines from Asteroids Deluxe. The list goes on, but then again, you've seen the video...no all you need to do is buy the game.

I could have sworn I left a review on the store page but it's not there. It was the text of my video review IIRC. Maybe I'm thinking of another homebrew.

I thought I remembered doing a write up and submitting it last year. I think I may have copied the text somewhere. I use one of these babies to play generally since it supports the extra "C" button:

joy023.jpg

Thanks all!

I could have sworn I left a review on the store page but it's not there.

I thought I remembered doing a write up and submitting it last year.

There used to be 2 store entries for Space Rocks: one with the box, one without. I think your reviews were on the one that was consolidated away. Al might be able to recover them and add them to the remaining entry.

• Like 2

There used to be 2 store entries for Space Rocks: one with the box, one without. I think your reviews were on the one that was consolidated away. Al might be able to recover them and add them to the remaining entry.

Yes, I'm going to fix that this weekend for a few games I consolidated in this fashion.

..Al

• Like 1

SpiceWare,

You are the author of this game, I gather... I have not played it, but the physics look fantastic. Well done, sir.

As a programmer myself (not 6502) I know how difficult it can be to achieve decent physics in game development.

Question... I imagine this thing is multi-paged... Given the complexity. Hpw many 4k banks make up the game?

Thanks all!

You bring a valid point. Especially since the boxed versions of games often had more reviews posted than the loose versions of games. When Albert consolidated the store, the loose version had the boxed option added to the listing, then either deleted or hid from the public the original boxed listing. The product IDs for most of the retired products show up as unavailable for viewing.

For instance, the boxed Seaweed Assault and Space Rocks I purchased in 2014 prior to loose carts being an option.

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1028

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1026

I think it is good that Albert is placing boxed option on the same page with loose game carts. Boxed is good for collectors and loose is good for gamers on a budget. Some go as far as to pass on games that only have one option and not the other. I was hesitant to pick up Space Rocks and Seaweed Assault last year because of the $20 boxed surcharge, but am glad I got them as they are excellent games.

Also I checked my laptop. I've got text files for draft copies of my reviews for Pacman 4k, Pacman Collection, Jr Pacman, Halo 2600, and Crazy Otto. I though I'd written a review for Space Rocks but I may not have.

Edited by stardust4ever

Space Rocks is an amazing game! It is a nearly flawless version of Asteroids, with incredible control, myriad options and smooth graphics. Even my non Atari playing friends do a double take with this game and invest some time playing it. Epic. I am so ready for Star Castle now, please.

• Like 1

Wow... Some serious rave reviews here!

I love homebrew games as much as the next guy, but this game seems to be universally loved like a system launch title or a GoTY!

I never spend more than a few bucks at a time on games, but I'd shell out the $$ for a cart-only copy of this.

Once I get my TeleGames 6er, this will be my first game purchase.

Wow... Some serious rave reviews here!

I love homebrew games as much as the next guy, but this game seems to be universally loved like a system launch title or a GoTY!

I never spend more than a few bucks at a time on games, but I'd shell out the $$ for a cart-only copy of this.

Once I get my TeleGames 6er, this will be my first game purchase.

Seriously, if you like Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, this game - with the variations and options! - is THE definitive home edition. To me, it's the best version outside of an actual cab.

Currently on vacation in Las Vegas. We picked up tickets for shows, planned out our week and happened to find an arcade (Pinball Hall of Fame) with Asteroids.

Anyway, on my second quarter I turned it over and ended up with a high score of 85,300. Asteroids is my favorite cabinet too.

post-21941-0-49925900-1438489540_thumb.jpg post-21941-0-00715100-1438489559_thumb.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

SpiceWare,

You are the author of this game, I gather... I have not played it, but the physics look fantastic. Well done, sir.

As a programmer myself (not 6502) I know how difficult it can be to achieve decent physics in game development.

Question... I imagine this thing is multi-paged... Given the complexity. Hpw many 4k banks make up the game?

Yes I am, thanks!

Space Rocks is an unusual game for the 2600. While the game is a 32K ROM, there's only a single 4K bank as far as the 6507 is concerned. The rest of the ROM is utilized for data storage and code for the ARM processor on the Melody board.

If you'd like to learn more about what's going on, check out my DPC+ ARM Development series. Do note that the series is on a temporary hiatus. You can also look over my Space Rocks blog series, which documents the development of the game.

Is there any native support for the Starplex controller? There's a couple of videos up on YouTube of someone playing the game with that controller. Perhaps it's just operating in something like joystick-mode on the Trak-Balls… I don't know for sure because I don't own one of those controllers but this Space Rocks might be reason enough to purchase one...

Is there any native support for the Starplex controller? There's a couple of videos up on YouTube of someone playing the game with that controller. Perhaps it's just operating in something like joystick-mode on the Trak-Balls I don't know for sure because I don't own one of those controllers but this Space Rocks might be reason enough to purchase one...

Space Rocks with the Starplex controller is awesome!

• Like 1