IGNORED

Hackaday Review: Modern WDC 65C02 & 65C816 Single Board Computers

As much as I want to love these single-board machines from WDC, I find myself looking for a reason to justify buying one.

- If you want to learn 6502 assembly, a classic system like the A8, Apple II, or C64 is a lot more fun to work with.

- If you want a practical single-board computer, the Raspberry Pi has way better bang for the buck than either the 6502 or 65816 boards.

- If you want to learn programming for something other than 65xx, there's better choices with better value (Raspberry Pi again).

- If you really like the idea of a single-board 65xx machine, you probably will likely will want to build your own from one of the kits/designs on the internet rather than buy something ready-made.

I just don't get it.

• Like 1

Technical specs are extremely underwhelming as well - only 3.6 or 8 MHz clock speed dependant on model. All of 32K SRam and 128K onboard flash.

Really, if they were serious about these things they'd have a 200 MHz or better model.
At least to some advantage it does seem to operate and inteface at 5 Volts so would probably work fairly well as an addon for our old computers.

But at $90 for the base model there's little point - there's homebrewed projects around for accelerated CPUs or slave processors that cost less and have an established user/support base.

My wish would have been if WDC had spearheaded a project like the PIC, Atmel, or Ardino, but based it on a fast 65C02 core initially and then later a 65816. So basically to breakdown what I am talking about; have all inclusive in a single integrated small form factor chip package the 65C02 processor core, some static ram, flash, eeprom, and a RIOT (and maybe an A/D). Done correctly, this would have had the potential to run circles around some of the other offerings I mentioned. And it would have been so easy to program, based on the 65C02 op-codes. Even back 20 years ago, they had the talent and resources to make this happen, and if they had, they would have captured the market.

Oh well :dunce: ...another if only scenario.

-Michael

My dream scenario would be for WDC to buy up the designs (to the extent the designs are still owned by any legally "alive entities) from all the classic custom chips of the era (TIA, ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY, FREDDIE, MARIA for the Atari's, SID/SIDII for Commodores, etc, along with the entire line of the 65xx chipset - 6502B, 6502C, 6507, 6532, 6520 ... ) then start pumping them out affordably in proper DIP packages ... I'm tired of scavenging parts from two working machines to resurrect a third, and vice versa.

Never gonna happen I know, but a guy can dream.

• Like 1

My dream scenario would be for WDC to buy up the designs (to the extent the designs are still owned by any legally "alive entities) from all the classic custom chips of the era (TIA, ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY, FREDDIE, MARIA for the Atari's, SID/SIDII for Commodores, etc, along with the entire line of the 65xx chipset - 6502B, 6502C, 6507, 6532, 6520 ... ) then start pumping them out affordably in proper DIP packages ... I'm tired of scavenging parts from two working machines to resurrect a third, and vice versa.

All we really need is 1 chip: a flexible 5V FPGA in a DIP package. I'd contribute to a Kickstarter in a heartbeat for a chip that could drop in to any 40-pin NMOS/CMOS design. Maybe it's time to get to work on one... :ponder:

• Like 3

A mans gotta have something to live for, so keep on dreaming ;)

Also if they were to have all those designs under one roof, stick them all in a single package, and there's my dream.

-Michael

Edit: Opps Bryan beat me to it.

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

All we really need is 1 chip: a flexible 5V FPGA in a DIP package. I'd contribute to a Kickstarter in a heartbeat for a chip that could drop in to any 40-pin NMOS/CMOS design. Maybe it's time to get to work on one... :ponder:

I'm sure it could be done, and I'd happily back you. The key however would be making them cheap enough to be used to fix up these old machines. I know Albert has been coordinating with SOMEONE to make a POKEY-equivalent for 7800 homebrew carts so people don't have to tear up working Ballblazer and Commando carts to get them. But the "HOKEY" chip only does audio, no I/O or keyboard functions.

I'm sure it could be done, and I'd happily back you. The key however would be making them cheap enough to be used to fix up these old machines. I know Albert has been coordinating with SOMEONE to make a POKEY-equivalent for 7800 homebrew carts so people don't have to tear up working Ballblazer and Commando carts to get them. But the "HOKEY" chip only does audio, no I/O or keyboard functions.

It could probably be done with an existing FPGA with external level converting IO, and other support circuitry on a thin PCB (possibly a stack of two). If it would fit in the thickness of a DIP, the challenge would then be to encapsulate the whole thing with proper pins and all. Dynamically moving the GND and VCC would be tricky... One way would be to put programming pads on the bottom of the chip, and then to blow open fused VCC and GND connections on all pins except the two you want.

Like the FDIL v2? http://pin4.at/pro_misc.php. I've got one and am going to have a go at replacement GTIA, ANTIC and POKEY with it at some point, probably next year...

One tricky aspect of this is that many chips have analog pins too or schmitt trigger inputs etc.