Photo

Improved Color For Your 4-Switch Woody: A Public Service Bulletin

52 replies to this topic

#51 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,953 posts

Posted Mon Jun 5, 2017 9:20 PM

Another option if you can't procure an 820ohm resistor, is to use a 1k in parallel to a 4.7k. This results in a value of roughly 824 ohms, well within 1% tolerance. I remember shopping at Radioshack and making one since they did not carry that value. A fellow AA member later shipped me a metal oxide 820 ohm (blue epoxy) in an envelope free of charge so I used that instead of the parallel carbon film (beige epoxy) I made from RS.

#52 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Mon Jun 5, 2017 10:21 PM

Another option if you can't procure an 820ohm resistor, is to use a 1k in parallel to a 4.7k. This results in a value of roughly 824 ohms, well within 1% tolerance. I remember shopping at Radioshack and making one since they did not carry that value. A fellow AA member later shipped me a metal oxide 820 ohm (blue epoxy) in an envelope free of charge so I used that instead of the parallel carbon film (beige epoxy) I made from RS.

Ah, yes, how many of us have gone to radio shack to not find what need and having to cobble something together.

Its almost a shame a new generation won't have that experience.icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the higher value, the higher the color intensity - you could use probably any thing from 600k to 900k without any problems.

Think I read of someone suggesting a 1000K potentiometer and find tune to your liking.icon_idea.gif

#53 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 14,953 posts

Posted Mon Jun 5, 2017 10:50 PM

Ah, yes, how many of us have gone to radio shack to not find what need and having to cobble something together.

Its almost a shame a new generation won't have that experience.icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the higher value, the higher the color intensity - you could use probably any thing from 600k to 900k without any problems.

Think I read of someone suggesting a 1000K potentiometer and find tune to your liking.icon_idea.gif

But how would we learn if it weren't for cobbling stuff together to see what works? Ohm's law doesn't lie, you know...

I imagine if adding a resistor when none existed before increases the color intensity, by comparing the resistance before (infinite???) and after (820ohm), that decreasing the resistance would increase the saturation to the point where it becomes garish or worse, clips the color channels. Zero resistance would likely burn something out, but perhaps a smallish value in series with a 1k pot and you could have some fun dialing it in. ;-)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users