Photo

High Score Competition (May: Frogger/TI Toad)

1207 replies to this topic

#1201 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:52 AM

Talk about timely! Check this out!

Defender: The Story of an Arcade Legend With Eugene Jarvis - The Retro Hour EP75 by The Retro Hour (Retro Gaming Podcast)
https://player.fm/1lGXTG

Post your scores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1202 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:48 PM

a8a78567e0a35b0ecc6aca887e4315a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1203 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,382 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:37 AM

Whoa, that's extreme... What level? I hope we'll get a new video clip! :-)

#1204 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,382 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 AM

One question, though: That screenshot indicates that the game was not over. Did you play on emulation and pause the game to take the snapshot? I'd rather not drop the joystick at that moment! ;)

I suppose you did the screenshot before the counter cycles, right? What was the end score?

#1205 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:11 AM

Whoa, that's extreme... What level? I hope we'll get a new video clip! :-)

It was approximately wave 71.   Yes it does roll over at 1 million.   First time I did it, I didn't take any pictures till it rolled over.    

#1206 jwild OFFLINE  

jwild

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:15 AM

One question, though: That screenshot indicates that the game was not over. Did you play on emulation and pause the game to take the snapshot? I'd rather not drop the joystick at that moment! ;)

I suppose you did the screenshot before the counter cycles, right? What was the end score?

Yes the game was not over.   I was playing on a real TI-99/4a with F18A and a Slik Stik joystick.  I grabbed my cell phone with one hand and clicked off several pictures.    Since the score blinks, most of the time I got a blank score.   That pic caught the score.   

My end score on that game was just over 1million.   The waves keep incrementing, but the score starts over at zero.   

As for a new video clip...I could do that.  it would be quite long though!   We do have two weeks remaining in the month, I may give that a try.

#1207 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,830 posts

Posted Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 AM

Finally gave it a few spins. It’s actually quite a decent action game. My best score was only 28,700. I wasn't trying hard, only to have a bit of fun.

“Play the Original Arcade Classic in Your Own Home.”

- Yep, that’s what you get. I gotta love Atarisoft.

Considering that Defender is 8K ROM only, it's very well done and executes fast and on the spot. Graphics are functional, absolutely. Rather good use of sprites, and mostly avoiding the maximum of 4 sprites horizontally. Plenty of game elements; landers, shooting, explosions, humanoids, kidnapping/abduction, transformation/mutants, rescuing/catching, baiters, pod and swarmers, bombers and mines, flickering stars, scrolling surface, scanner/radar, hyperspace, smart bombs, mutant takeover, scoring system and difficulty settings. Did I leave out anything?

Back in the day, I already had Donkey Kong and Pac-Man (both 16K). Donkey Kong was impressive with arcade like feel and several screens. Pac-Man was arcade feel too, however a bit on the slow side. I guess I let Defender down a bit for perhaps the somewhat unimpressive starship explosion.

:)

#1208 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Moonsweeper

• 294 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:36 PM

Finally gave it a few spins. It’s actually quite a decent action game. My best score was only 28,700. I wasn't trying hard, only to have a bit of fun.

“Play the Original Arcade Classic in Your Own Home.”

- Yep, that’s what you get. I gotta love Atarisoft.

Considering that Defender is 8K ROM only, it's very well done and executes fast and on the spot. Graphics are functional, absolutely. Rather good use of sprites, and mostly avoiding the maximum of 4 sprites horizontally. Plenty of game elements; landers, shooting, explosions, humanoids, kidnapping/abduction, transformation/mutants, rescuing/catching, baiters, pod and swarmers, bombers and mines, flickering stars, scrolling surface, scanner/radar, hyperspace, smart bombs, mutant takeover, scoring system and difficulty settings. Did I leave out anything?

Back in the day, I already had Donkey Kong and Pac-Man (both 16K). Donkey Kong was impressive with arcade like feel and several screens. Pac-Man was arcade feel too, however a bit on the slow side. I guess I let Defender down a bit for perhaps the somewhat unimpressive starship explosion.

:)

The best I could muster was about 22500 with just dinking around.  :)  I'm good for this month, I think lol

Donkey Kong and Centipede are pretty darn good ports, I think.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users