IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

So what file to use in Classic99 - I tried the .bin file for flashrom99 but it didn't work. I have little hope in competing but I try every game - just in case I click with one. Someday, i will be king! :)

I am using Startrek.BIN on the Flashrom

Startrek.BIN

(but it does not work in Classic 99)

This one works in Classic99

Use this .ini file

Classic99inionly.zip

[bigEprom1]

name="game 512k cart2"

rom0=8|0000|80000|mods\bigeprom\games2.bin

This is the Games 2 multicart option N)

Games2.bin

• Like 3

I am using Startrek.BIN on the Flashrom

attachicon.gifStartrek.BIN

(but it does not work in Classic 99)

"work" must mean it doesn't autodetect for Cartridge->User->Open, and that's because it's not named to identify the type of image it is.

Save it as StarTrek8.bin and it will work fine. Then you don't need an INI.

Classic99 will run any image that any other emulator can load (except Win994a cartridges), but you have to tell it what the heck it is. ;)

• Like 2

This game is great - I'm no where near 666k so no screenshots from me but wow. Love this game.

This is a cool game. Am I the only one ignoring the bottom section of the screen as I navigate around and shoot?

What I've figured out so far: E/X/S/D = UP/Down/Left/Right, K = move forward, J = Guns/Laser ?, L = Photon Torpedo?

Who has the manual pls?

Fun! (my goal is to beat Lenny)

This is a cool game. Am I the only one ignoring the bottom section of the screen as I navigate around and shoot?

What I've figured out so far: E/X/S/D = UP/Down/Left/Right, K = move forward, J = Guns/Laser ?, L = Photon Torpedo?

Who has the manual pls?

Fun! (my goal is to beat Lenny)

I found this posted in another thread about StarTrek -

Joystick2:
left - rotate left
right - rotate right
forward - moves forward with impulse power
back while pressing fire button - moves forward with warp drive
Fire - phaser
back - Photon torpedo
Keyboard:
S - rotate left
D - rotate right
K - moves forward with impulse power
H - moves forward with warp drive
J or Y - phaser
L - Photon torpedo

Also, My high score was 65k so far and no, I too almost entirely ignore the bottom portion of the screen.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

I always forget what that '8' is for at the end of a filename. Perhaps that's why it gets deleted? Why is that needed again?

The ‘8’ identifies the binary’s bank-switching scheme as “normal” or “non-inverted”. It stands for the ‘8’ in the name of the latching chip, 74LS378, and distinguishes it from the 74LS379 (filename should end in ‘9’), which Classic99 expects to employ inverted bank-switching. The 74LS379 can actually do both inverted and non-inverted bank-switching, but was only ever implemented for the TI-99/4A in the inverted mode. Classic99 needs that number for autodetecting which of the above bank-switching schemes the binary expects to use.

...lee

• Like 2

Seeing as I am quickly able to increase my high score, I thought I'd officially join the frenzy - if not for the highest score, but at least to stay ahead of AirShack... ;)

post-47352-0-55053600-1504809982.png

Also,I have a question about Game Play since I don't have the manual.

Is it safe to assume there is no friendly fire? In other words if i shoot it and it gets destroyed, then it was meant for me to shoot it. Is that a correct assumption? (including the little blue space ship)

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

Seeing as I am quickly able to increase my high score, I thought I'd officially join the frenzy - if not for the highest score, but at least to stay ahead of AirShack... ;)

attachicon.gif207k.png

Also,I have a question about Game Play since I don't have the manual.

Is it safe to assume there is no friendly fire? In other words if i shoot it and it gets destroyed, then it was meant for me to shoot it. Is that a correct assumption? (including the little blue space ship)

What I like about the PC99 emulator is that all manuals are built-in! But manuals should be somewhere on FTP whtech as well I think.77b4f959f206ad51977de07cc6106cab.jpg648ac452a9bbcc38fa13b299057f2b9e.jpg

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I too almost entirely ignore the bottom portion of the screen.

The bottom first-person view would be necessary and greatly enhance gameplay if the targeting reticle and enemy ships could move up and down, as well as left and right.

Without the up/down target movement it's more of a hinderance looking down since that blinds you from seeing the inbound shots and enemies from outside this narrow Captain's eye view.

Perhaps other players get something out of it I'm missing?

I just steer towards enemies and constantly button mash.

I can't recall playing this game in my arcade days. It appears the TI version is an extremely accurate port of Sega's original arcade version:

https://youtu.be/lZj9WLFe6cY

Suddenly I'm feeling a lot less critical of the lack of an up/down dimension.

Satisfies the retro gaming prime directive:

Easy to learn yet hard to master!

• Like 1

I always forget what that '8' is for at the end of a filename. Perhaps that's why it gets deleted? Why is that needed again?

Because nothing inside the file identifies the contents of it. The '8' indicates that it is a bank-switched cartridge ROM in non-inverted format.

If you got the file raw without any documentation, the 8 tells you everything you need to know to load it. No identifier, and you start guessing. :)

• Like 1