IGNORED

NIB Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer Question

Carlstew123

My father gave me a NIB Atari 2600 Six Switch Heavy Sixer as a present for my one year old son. I had a few questions for anyone that has a NIB Atari like this, or if anyone else possibly had answers to my questions. Being a huge fan of the Atari growing up, and receiving such a rare awesome gift like this I wanted to reach out for guidance.

Do you have any idea what this is worth? I looked on various sites for price guides, but I didn't see the heavy sixer version priced out?

Are those companies that grade and capsule collectibles worth doing? The box is in great shape, and sealed on both ends with no holes, or punctures on the box.

I will post pics soon.

Edited by Carlstew123
  • Like 1

My father gave me a NIB Atari 2600 Six Switch Heavy Sixer as a present for my one year old son. I had a few questions for anyone that has a NIB Atari like this, or if anyone else possibly had answers to my questions. Being a huge fan of the Atari growing up, and receiving such a rare awesome gift like this I wanted to reach out for guidance.

Do you have any idea what this is worth? I looked on various sites for price guides, but I didn't see the heavy sixer version priced out?

Are those companies that grade and capsule collectibles worth doing? The box is in great shape, and sealed on both ends with no holes, or punctures on the box.

I will post pics soon.

If it was given to you for your SON, why would you even be entertaining the thought of selling it? Technically it belongs to HIM since it was given to him and if you sold something that was given to him. Isn't that tantamount to stealing from him? I mean maybe you're not thinking of selling it, but just the fact that you are gauging it's value, that kinda throws a flag up.

That would be like if someone were to sell something of mine out from under me without me being able to give my own consent, it'd be wrong because the item was not legitimately theirs. And it MAY or MAY NOT be a Heavy Sixer, if it has the thick side and instead of having sides like the 4 switch units with sharply slanted sides, they are thicker and more rounded it's a Heavy Sixer, but if the sides ARE slanted like the later sixers, then it's a light sixer.

But as I was saying earlier, your Dad obviously got the system for your son to be able to enjoy at a later date so realistically I wouldn't go tempting anyone with it here because it's not yours to do so with, since your father specifically said he was giving it to your son.

It's HIS property because your father stated as such, besides which I would think if you sold something your father gifted to your son, I would think your father would not look too favorably on you, especially if he finds your post on here trying to get a value on something that was not gifted to you in the first place. Just a word of caution

• Like 6

Heavy Sixers are worth a lot of money. First and foremost. A Heavy Sixer is a 6 switch woodgrain unit. And has a thick curved molding and a heavier bottom shell than a Light Sixer. Light Sixers have a lighter bottom shell and has a thinner and sharp curved angles. It's worth a lot of money by the following. Matching serial numbers on both the console and box for one, Combat still in the box complete with everything, the CX-10 joysticks, paddle controllers that has "Atari" instead of "paddle" labelled which is the Heavy Sixer unit controllers and paddles, the gray AC adapter inside of it's box and the tv switchbox, all of the receipts and brochures inside of the box, and lastly the box has the chess piece on there which was removed shortly after due to a silly claim from a guy saying there is no Chess game at the time. Atari released such a game in 1979. Heavy Sixers were from 1977-1978. I agree with RichG1972. It's a gift for your son and it belongs to him. Your father would be disappointed if you were going to take the gift away that is meant for him and get money out of it. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's for your son. And he gets an awesome gift in the process.

• Like 1

Picture needed of the box.

All woodgrain unit boxes have a Heavy Sixer on them, even when they changed to light 4 switch it still has an image of a Heavy Sixer with four switches (they were never was made that way).

If the knight chess piece is under the ST in the word SYSTEM then you have the rarest NIB Heavy Sixer which I as an amateur collector would value more than $1,000 dollars.

They were very expensive in 1977, $199 (adjusted for inflation $783 US) so it is rare that it was never open and used. Maybe it was lost stock that was never sold?

• Like 1

How can you tell if it's a heavy sixer if it's never been opened?

Are those companies that grade and capsule collectibles worth doing?

Heavens, no.

If it was given to you for your SON, why would you even be entertaining the thought of selling it? Technically it belongs to HIM since it was given to him and if you sold something that was given to him. Isn't that tantamount to stealing from him? I mean maybe you're not thinking of selling it, but just the fact that you are gauging it's value, that kinda throws a flag up.

That would be like if someone were to sell something of mine out from under me without me being able to give my own consent, it'd be wrong because the item was not legitimately theirs. And it MAY or MAY NOT be a Heavy Sixer, if it has the thick side and instead of having sides like the 4 switch units with sharply slanted sides, they are thicker and more rounded it's a Heavy Sixer, but if the sides ARE slanted like the later sixers, then it's a light sixer.

But as I was saying earlier, your Dad obviously got the system for your son to be able to enjoy at a later date so realistically I wouldn't go tempting anyone with it here because it's not yours to do so with, since your father specifically said he was giving it to your son.

It's HIS property because your father stated as such, besides which I would think if you sold something your father gifted to your son, I would think your father would not look too favorably on you, especially if he finds your post on here trying to get a value on something that was not gifted to you in the first place. Just a word of caution

This.

Heavy Sixers are worth a lot of money.

Dude, shut up! Some of us still don't have one yet. ;) :-D

Does anyone else detect a seafood aroma?

No, but I see William Shatner coming around the bend on a triangle-wheeled Hello Kitty bicycle, dressed up as The Hulk.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback thus far. No I don't plan on selling this, but what I don't want to happen is my son open this later on when he is young and dumb not knowing something like this should be cherished.... I know a little about the history, but I do not consider myself an expert in shape or fashion. I hope the pictures help. My father also gave a few unopened games that I added in the pics as well, but these are from 1980 not the 70s.

I have seen how some of the vets on this site go in on noobs like me so I am ready. LOL. I recently found this site, and look forward to sharing feedback and everyone's knowledge/humor from this point forward.

Thanks, Carl

post-43346-0-86331800-1440607697_thumb.jpg

post-43346-0-20435900-1440607713_thumb.jpg

post-43346-0-10001700-1440607737_thumb.jpg

post-43346-0-92977500-1440607761_thumb.jpg

post-43346-0-95363700-1440607780_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've never read up on Atari box variations, but I'm guessing that the "made in Taiwan" might be an indicator that it is not a Heavy sixer. I know its a heavy on the box picture but didn't even the light sixers have a heavy pictured on the box? Again I am no box expert so I'm only assuming, I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to confirm or deny that.

Says 1978 for the copyright date on the box. And no knight chess piece under the S and T on the box. It should be a Light Sixer system then. Light Sixers were manufactured from 1978-1980. And the 81103429 serial number seems more like a 4 switch woody serial number as most of them start with an 81 or 82. Light Sixers couldn't have been made in 1981 4 switch woodies were being made at that time.

I've never read up on Atari box variations, but I'm guessing that the "made in Taiwan" might be an indicator that it is not a Heavy sixer. I know its a heavy on the box picture but didn't even the light sixers have a heavy pictured on the box? Again I am no box expert so I'm only assuming, I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to confirm or deny that.

The last of the Heavy Sixers were made in Taiwan in July 1978 before Light Sixer production started. Heavy Sixer and Light Sixer boxes have the Heavy Sixer image on it. 4 switch woody boxes have a Heavy Sixer base with a 4 switch top for it's image strangely. Light Sixers started out in Sunnyvale and production went overseas to Hong Kong. 4 switch woodies were made predominatley in Taiwan but some in Hong Kong.

Good questions, but when I looked at the difference on a light vs. heavy the characteristics from the box show it to be a heavy version, but of course I don't plan on opening the box to confirm that theory. The big question I am not sure of is the manufacture location. I have read that heavys were produced in Taiwan right before the lights were manufactured.

Good questions, but when I looked at the difference on a light vs. heavy the characteristics from the box show it to be a heavy version, but of course I don't plan on opening the box to confirm that theory. The big question I am not sure of is the manufacture location. I have read that heavys were produced in Taiwan right before the lights were manufactured.

Correct. Most Heavies were in Sunnyvale until the last month or 2 of it's production in July-August 1978. These models were manufactured in Taiwan.

The last of the Heavy Sixers were made in Taiwan in July 1978 before Light Sixer production started. Heavy Sixer and Light Sixer boxes have the Heavy Sixer image on it. 4 switch woody boxes have a Heavy Sixer base with a 4 switch top for it's image strangely. Light Sixers started out in Sunnyvale and production went overseas to Hong Kong. 4 switch woodies were made predominatley in Taiwan but some in Hong Kong.

Hmm thanks for the history lesson. The serial numb seems really high, but I guess they mass produced the heavys before they ended this version. Is there any difference with the versions made in CA vs. the ones made in Taiwan?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm pretty sure based on the serial number on the box that it isn't a heavy. None of the Heavy's in the serial number database have a serial number in that range. My money is on it being a light sixer. A sealed in box light sixer is still a valuable item though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm pretty sure based on the serial number on the box that it isn't a heavy. None of the Heavy's in the serial number database have a serial number in that range. My money is on it being a light sixer. A sealed in box light sixer is still a valuable item though.

You may be right, but RetroGamer81081 mentioned above makes sense to. Maybe someone else on here will chime in. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Hmm thanks for the history lesson. The serial numb seems really high, but I guess they mass produced the heavys before they ended this version. Is there any difference with the versions made in CA vs. the ones made in Taiwan?

The Sunnyvale, CA heavy sixer from 1977 and 1978 is most desired for many reasons, it is the first model, it was made in the U.S.A., it has the best clear rich vibrant color RF output, the later the version the more cost-cutting in parts and design was made resulting in washed out picture and interference.

I even have a light sixer from Sunnyvale, CA, and have seen pictures of a light four switch from Sunnyvale, CA.

As said, it still valuable as a sealed overseas manufactured Atari, it just wouldn't get the insane price a CIB 1977 would bring.

Your box says Copyright 1978 so the system could be from 1978, 1979 or later depending on how long they used up that stock.

Picture needed of the box.

All woodgrain unit boxes have a Heavy Sixer on them, even when they changed to light 4 switch it still has an image of a Heavy Sixer with four switches (they were never was made that way).

If the knight chess piece is under the ST in the word SYSTEM then you have the rarest NIB Heavy Sixer which I as an amateur collector would value more than $1,000 dollars.

They were very expensive in 1977, $199 (adjusted for inflation $783 US) so it is rare that it was never open and used. Maybe it was lost stock that was never sold?

Your response is why I thought of getting it capsuled to preserve it in the family. I am a little skeptical to let something like this leave my possession to be handled by a third party. My wife hates that I have it up for display in the playroom for now. LOL. She just doesn't understand things like this are better than random house decor you find at Homegoods.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback thus far. No I don't plan on selling this, but what I don't want to happen is my son open this later on when he is young and dumb not knowing something like this should be cherished.... I know a little about the history, but I do not consider myself an expert in shape or fashion. I hope the pictures help. My father also gave a few unopened games that I added in the pics as well, but these are from 1980 not the 70s.

I have seen how some of the vets on this site go in on noobs like me so I am ready. LOL. I recently found this site, and look forward to sharing feedback and everyone's knowledge/humor from this point forward.

Thanks, Carl

My advice is to store this system away and get cheap used "banger" Atari system for him to play on when he's old enough to hold a joystick. Raise him on retro games like Atari and NES and gradually introduce him to more advanced consoles. By the time he's a teen, you'll know whether he's still into gaming and will be old enough to appreciate the collectability aspect, or moved onto other things. Regardless, at least he'll be well rounded.

I went "backwards" from Nintendo generation to Atari, and the transition going forward is much easier than going backwards. Most younger gamers stop at NES, and I confess I once subscribed to this mindset. There is a distinctive "rawness" to the pre-crash consoles that's difficult for younger retro gamers to overlook. Start kids out on Atari and they will appreciate everything more.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 3

My advice is to store this system away and get cheap used "banger" Atari system for him to play on when he's old enough to hold a joystick. Raise him on retro games like Atari and NES and gradually introduce him to more advanced consoles. By the time he's a teen, you'll know whether he's still into gaming and will be old enough to appreciate the collectability aspect, or moved onto other things. Regardless, at least he'll be well rounded.

I went "backwards" from Nintendo generation to Atari, and the transition going forward is much easier than going backwards. Most younger gamers stop at NES, and I confess I once subscribed to this mindset. There is a distinctive "rawness" to the pre-crash consoles that's difficult for younger retro gamers to overlook. Start kids out on Atari and they will appreciate everything more.

Very well said. I will def do that. Have you known anyone to purchase an Atari/with games on ebay, and have it not backfire with the console crashing or games not working? I def will get him right, and with my son having heart issues he won't be able to play sports so I want him to love the gaming experience I have, and still do to this day.

Very well said. I will def do that. Have you known anyone to purchase an Atari/with games on ebay, and have it not backfire with the console crashing or games not working? I def will get him right, and with my son having heart issues he won't be able to play sports so I want him to love the gaming experience I have, and still do to this day.

I have both bought and sold Atari's on eBay. I've bought 2 heavy's, 1 light sixer, and one 4 switch woody on eBay and all of them worked. I know at least two of those as well as the heavy I bought on craigslist were listed as "untested. One of my heavies had a boogered up joystick pin but it's easily fixable. I think another of my heavys had a joystick port pin that wasn't making connecting. I re-flowed the solder on that pin and all was good. The good thing about Atari's is that there is only so much that can go wrong with them and replacement parts can still be had.

I've also purcahsed two large lots of games, one here and one on eBay and a few small batches. I'd say out of that I only got a couple of buggy games after cleaning them with alcohol and a q-tip. My Atari cart failure rate from the local game store is WAY higher than eBay for me.

Edited by Mitkraft

I believe it's the channel select switch. Most Heavy Sixers do not have a channel select switch. The Taiwan made models do. For channels 2 and 3.