IGNORED

Intellivision III

CrazyBoss

Hi.

In hunt to see if I can get an Intellivision, I found a console marked Intellivision III. But I think it must be

a Intellivsion (1) but a MARK 3 since Intellivsion III was never released.

Living in Sweden, its quite hard to find localy, but could bid on one at Ebay but its quite expencive to ship it :(

I would like to have an intellivision and some kind of flashcard, to test my homebrew games :)

But maybe Later :)

It's confusing because the "Intellivision III" (the unreleased console from Mattel) and the "INTV System III" (the Intellivision sold by INTV) have such similar names. The INTV System III is basically identical to the original Intellivision Master Component, with the addition of a power LED.

I seem to remember reading that INTV's stated reason for going back to the original Intellivision design was because the Intellivision II used more expensive custom chips (or something along those lines), but I suspect the real reason was that INTV got a lot of extra Master Component boards from Mattel's spare parts department and started building consoles to use them up. At least two of the INTV consoles I've serviced contained boards that appeared to have been refurbished by Mattel.

The Intellivision 3 came out in 1985 if I recall correctly. But was supposed to originally come out in late 1983. But due to the Colecovision's dominance it never happened. Then in early 1984 with all the money lost and layoffs, Mattel no longer held the rights to the Intellivision. Soon after It went under the INTV name. And continued this model til 1991. All that matters is it's still an Intellivision. I like the 2609 and model 3 better than the model 2. You can play Coleco games. The bad is when the controller is broken you are somewhat screwed. Unless you can find them online to take apart the system and reattach.

The Intellivision 3 came out in 1985 if I recall correctly. But was supposed to originally come out in late 1983.

The INTV III came out in 1985; the "Intellivision III" was never released.

Mattel had nothing to do with the INTV III other than they supplied the boards and parts from the first Intellivision, which were repurposed by INTV.

The Intellivision II came out in '83; I know of no plans by Mattel to re-issue the original Intellivision the same year they came out with the II.

But due to the Colecovision's dominance it never happened. Then in early 1984 with all the money lost and layoffs, Mattel no longer held the rights to the Intellivision. Soon after It went under the INTV name. And continued this model til 1991. All that matters is it's still an Intellivision. I like the 2609 and model 3 better than the model 2. You can play Coleco games. The bad is when the controller is broken you are somewhat screwed. Unless you can find them online to take apart the system and reattach.

Well, the Coleco certainly didn't help, but it was more the crash at large that did Mattel Electronics and its plans for the Intellivision III in. Besides, the Coleco was big, but the Atari 2600 was still king of the hill anyway.

BTW, you can play *some* Coleco games on the Intellivision II: Zaxxon, Turbo, Donkey Kong Jr., and I think Lady Bug. The ones you can't: Donkey Kong, Carnival, Mouse Trap, and Venture.

• Like 1

Here's some information from the Blue Sky Rangers page:

NOTE: The Intellivision III should not be confused with the INTV System III, which was simply INTV Corporation's re-release of the original Intellivision Master Component with minor cosmetic differences. To make it worse: at the January 1987 CES, INTV Corp. announced the INTV System IV, which shouldn't be confused with the Intellivision IV. The INTV System IV was really the Intellivision III; Glenn Hightower of APh had convinced INTV's Terry Valeski that the system was still viable. INTV Corporation, however, was not; despite making the announcement, they didn't have the financial resources needed to actually resume the development that had stopped three-and-a-half years earlier.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Speaking of Intellivision IIs: Does anybody have a spare unit, in good condition, preferably CIB? I have two, but they are both sealed in their original boxes and I don't have the heart to bring them into this cruel world. :o

P.M. me to arrange a trade/sale. :)

• Like 2

Speaking of Intellivision IIs: Does anybody have a spare unit, in good condition, preferably CIB? I have two, but they are both sealed in their original boxes and I don't have the heart to bring them into this cruel world. :o

P.M. me to arrange a trade/sale. :)

Ummm. Yep. ?

• Like 1

The INTV III came out in 1985; the "Intellivision III" was never released.

Mattel had nothing to do with the INTV III other than they supplied the boards and parts from the first Intellivision, which were repurposed by INTV.

The Intellivision II came out in '83; I know of no plans by Mattel to re-issue the original Intellivision the same year they came out with the II.

Well, the Coleco certainly didn't help, but it was more the crash at large that did Mattel Electronics and its plans for the Intellivision III in. Besides, the Coleco was big, but the Atari 2600 was still king of the hill anyway.

BTW, you can play *some* Coleco games on the Intellivision II: Zaxxon, Turbo, Donkey Kong Jr., and I think Lady Bug. The ones you can't: Donkey Kong, Carnival, Mouse Trap, and Venture.

I made a goof on there. I knew Mattel no longer had the ownership rights of the Intellivision in early 1984 then soon after became INTV. I have the original 2609 model and not the model 2 mainly becauae of playing all the games on there. I thought ALL Coleco games were not compatible with the model 2. About half of them. Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :)

FWIW, I just tested these all again on the Intellivision II using LTO Flash!, and all of them play just fine with its lock-out workaround enabled.

In my collection, I have two ROM dumps of Venture, one of which works on Intellivision II w/out the workaround. I don't know, however, if I dumped it from a cartridge, or manually patched. Otherwise, the list you give above looks accurate for what works and doesn't work on the Intellivision II.