IGNORED

Mario Bros XE - Graphic Improvements

MrFish

This started as a simple hack to change the platform graphics for Phase 1/2 and 4/5, but I decided there are a some other things worth changing while I'm at it, and that I should release it at a couple of stages during the process -- since I won't be able to complete some of the changes for a while. Any feedback or ideas are welcome.

Changes so far:

1. Phase 1/2 platform graphics

2. Phase 4/5 platform graphics

3. Phase 6/7 platform graphics

4. Font for numbers

5. Removed shading for Mario's name

Because the shading for Mario's name is part of copying the arcade graphics, I'll do a branch that preserves that, but personally I don't like it and want to have a branch without it. I think it was harder to read and looked a little odd when Luigi's name didn't have it also. Choose for yourself.

Planned changes:

1. Various minor font improvements

2. (possibly) improve Phase 9/10 platform graphics

3. Change red with blue shading texts to yellow with blue shading (for easier reading)

4. (possibly) improve some sprite graphics

5. Add a title marquee graphic

Because the red with blue shading texts are per the arcade version I will also be keeping this with the branch that retains the shading for Mario's name. I personally find this hard to read, mainly because the red color is a little dark, and you can't just change the brightness for it since that will affect other graphics.

post-6369-0-28112300-1440604933_thumb.png post-6369-0-57250200-1440604939_thumb.png post-6369-0-36759800-1440604945_thumb.png

Mario XE (graphic improvements).zip

I'd like to thank AA member "jacobus" for releasing his Disk Explorer to the community, as this has made hacking the graphics quite a bit easier than it would have been otherwise.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 17

Does Mario Brothers use Player/Missile graphics or strictly screen graphics? Wonder if we can use player/missile overlay mode to make 3 color Mario/Luigi characters. Another possibility is SuperIRG if it is using Antic4 for the screen graphics to generate 16 onscreen colors on the non-moving parts. Trying to use a player/missile multiplexer for moving objects may cause things to flicker too much because of the amount used.

Does Mario Brothers use Player/Missile graphics or strictly screen graphics? Wonder if we can use player/missile overlay mode to make 3 color Mario/Luigi characters.

Bitmapped for enemies and background, P/M's for Mario and Luigi. Mario and Luigi are already 3 colors each.

Another possibility is SuperIRG if it is using Antic4 for the screen graphics to generate 16 onscreen colors on the non-moving parts. Trying to use a player/missile multiplexer for moving objects may cause things to flicker too much because of the amount used.

No Antic 4, all bitmapped.

Edited by MrFish

Ahhh, that works. I just tried the first few in the list that popped up. The correct one was listed 5th. Guess I should have just kept trying, I was only 2 away from success.

Yes, it is a ways down the list. I assumed most people were familiar with the "blue label" carts using XEGS bank-switching.

I plan to release a ".CAR" file in the end, but maybe I'll start including them hereafter for ease of use.

For now you can just convert the ROM using Atari800Win PLus, or either JAC's Atari ROM Maker or electrotrain's ROMtoCAR utility.

Edited by MrFish

I like to see it running in Altirra - so I need to know what settings work with this rom file?

I'll probably have a go with doing some graphics for a non-WIP side scroller platform project - just to see what I can do - just to see what a possible project can look like?

I have no idea what it may look like or if it will be successful at all. This would be when I'm not working on anything - next year?

I did like how Crownland looked - but don't think I can surpass that - but would try for something Super Mario World like.

I just feel that certain types of games ought to look pretty good on this hardware - but why they are not being worked on by anyone... I don't know...

Harvey

• 5 months later...

Incidentally, if anyone is thinking about replacing the music and sound effects:

I did some new sound effects for a possible 7800 upgrade on Mario Bros. As these new sound effects and music use POKEY, I wonder if they could be shoehorned into this version?

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 2

Incidentally, if anyone is thinking about replacing the music and sound effects:

I did some new sound effects for a possible 7800 upgrade on Mario Bros. As these new sound effects and music use POKEY, I wonder if they could be shoehorned into this version?

Actually I've always thought the sounds were done quite well for the game as is, except for the "end level" sound, which isn't following the proper swirling pitches well at all. Did you do a replacement for that sound?

Yes, I did that sound too.

This zip file contains all the sounds. Note: These will be atari 7800 executables, so you will need a 7800 emulator to play these. Also, many of these sounds require flipping through different AUDCTL settings. On some, I use a 16-bit channel, on others, a high pass filter to mimic the scratchy sounds of the arcade original.

I have included DASM source code, and also a text file explaining all the above in detail.

mario bros sounds.zip

This zip file contains all the sounds. Note: These will be atari 7800 executables, so you will need a 7800 emulator to play these. Also, many of these sounds require flipping through different AUDCTL settings. On some, I use a 16-bit channel, on others, a high pass filter to mimic the scratchy sounds of the arcade original.

I have included DASM source code, and also a text file explaining all the above in detail.

OK, thanks for that. That's definitely an improvement on the pitches for the end-level/final-kick sound. But I think the individual pitches need to be a little smoothed out. So maybe a graduated attack and/or decay for each note would help?

These seem to be the same sounds that you let me listen to before in an XEX for the A8's — except not all sounds were done at that time. I think they're quite accurate in their emulation of the arcade, but — as I mentioned before — I don't like some of the popping artifacts that happen with some of the sounds.

Edited by MrFish

I have included DASM source code, and also a text file explaining all the above in detail

OK, thanks for that. That's definitely an improvement on the pitches for the end-level/final-kick sound. But I think the individual pitches need to be a little smoothed out. So maybe a graduated attack and/or decay for each note would help?

These seem to be the same sounds that you let me listen to before in an XEX for the A8's — except not all sounds were done at that time. I think they're quite accurate in their emulation of the arcade, but — as I mentioned before — I don't like some of the popping artifacts that happen with some of the sounds.

I agree there are some good sounds here. I ESPECIALLY like the tunes.

I like walking 1.. Walking 2 is perfect if you were emulating the NES version, but I prefer walking 1, as it sounds more like the arcade (minus the high-pitch).

Incidentally, a warning ... most 7800 emulators don't accurately emulate POKEY and all it's nuances. To listen to these, I recommend using the MESS emulator, it seems to be the most accurate.

The original music code was written by Pac Man Plus, I tweaked it a bit for the extra AUDCTL settings ... but I think the attacks and decays are mostly set in stone on this code. Though perhaps it could be tweaked.

Incidentally, a warning ... most 7800 emulators don't accurately emulate POKEY and all it's nuances. To listen to these, I recommend using the MESS emulator, it seems to be the most accurate.

Yes, I am using MESS, which has a great 7800 emulator.

The original music code was written by Pac Man Plus, I tweaked it a bit for the extra AUDCTL settings ... but I think the attacks and decays are mostly set in stone on this code. Though perhaps it could be tweaked.

I see. Yeah, it just seems like it lacks the smoothness it needs when going from note to note.

Thanks; I was almost able to pull it off in Graph2Font using no P/M's (just DLI's), but had to use Player0 and Missile0 to get the verticals for one section of the neons:

attachicon.gifmario title - pms.png

An earlier version I did with 3 neons didn't need any P/M's:

attachicon.gifmario bros - 3 neons.png

I should add too, that it surprisingly fits into only two character sets (both this one and the one with 4 neons), which is pretty good considering that Mario and the Turtle are included in those character sets, and that the fonts are proportional (ala GUI style).

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1