IGNORED

Nintendo NES Games - HIDDEN GEMS!

Metal Jesus

The Guardian Legend:In the game, the player controls a lone protagonist, the Guardian, who is on a quest to destroy a large alien-infested world named Naju before it reaches the planet Earth.

YES.

YES YES YES.

I love this game. I've never finished it- hell, I'm not sure I've ever gotten more than 2 keys. I still love it- it's a slightly bizarre but completely awesome mash-up of vertical shooter and Zelda. It is very worth your time!

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 1

The Guardian Legend is fantastic. For a real challenge, enter the password TGL to play "arcade mode", which is just the shooting segments. You don't get as powered up this way, so it's really tough.

Guardian Legend, Zanac (and Gun*Nac) were all done by Compile, who also did Space Megaforce on the SNES. They were shmup masters. Their Aleste series (of which Space Megaforce is a part, it was Super Aleste in Japan) uses my favorite power up system. The two "Nac" games use a system similar to Aleste's so I really like them. Space Megaforce is my favorite shmup ever.

More info on Compile: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aleste/compile.htm

• Like 1

You guys have covered most of the "hidden gems" I wanted to talk about, but one missing from the list I used to love back in the day was Astynax. It plays just like Legendary Axe on the TG16 (I think they had the same developers) and it's a lot of fun. It has "Ninja Gaiden"-style cinematics and nice graphics to boot. It's also dirt cheap right now!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

NES collector John Riggs shares 11 NES games that are Hidden Gems (Part 3) for Nintendo collectors.

Games Shown:

Bucky o’Hare
The Guardian Legend
Fire ’n Ice
Rockin’ Kats
Cartoon Workshop
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
The Battle of Olympus
Pinball Quest
G.I. Joe
Crystalis
Shatterhand

Pinball Quest is a hidden gem? As much as I love pinball games, PQ is a terrible attempt at combining the pinball and adventure genres. Kirby Pinball Land (GB/SGB) and Mario Pinball Land (GBA) got it right however.