IGNORED

Alpha Race for Atari 7800

SIO2

So far Im 85% done on there just need to add more colors on the ships and add there later fighting and blast affects but in the mean time heres two TEST labels on but in the classic 80s Atari 7800 style with texts and all and the full cover label art with more space backdrop. BTW I painted the space and star background using only Inkscape^_^

post-5587-0-84688500-1442388552_thumb.png

post-5587-0-46350200-1442388560_thumb.png

Edited by Atariboy2600
  • Like 5

@Atariboy2600

I love your artwork, your Project A-ko art is simply my favorite, loved the movie and it was my gateway into anime so it holds a special place in my heart. Your other pics are great and the little shop of horrors made me smile, great movie too.

Just had to pipe in and give you some credit.

Edited by imstarryeyed

Cool! Thanks now Im part of the Atari world^_^ BTW Im trying to add one or two more backdrop for the space part and then Ill send you the full label at 5000.16 by 7178.01 so it will be huge but do you wanted it in image .png, or vector .svg? And Ill place them in my dropbox.

Sounds great. .PNG works for me.

Awesome job on the labels!!!

I like the blue but black is great too.

Edited by SIO2

Oh yeah also do you wanted me to add any texts on the label like Atariage and other words or do you just wanted them blank for you to do them your self?

I would put our by lines on there. We worked hard on this.

Albert can correct me if I am wrong here but I think you can put the Atari Age on also. He and I need to work out the details but we are going to try to get this in the AA store.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Blue or Blue for the cover...

As for the game, I only had two things that struck me..

One's purely visual, but making the text/score look more like the vector art of the original game would go a LONG way to selling this remake in my opinion.

Second one is more gameplay, but it seems like the ship doesn't 'drift' right.. it more 'skids' and comes to an abrupt stop. Can that be curved out a little better?

Blue or Blue for the cover...As for the game, I only had two things that struck me..One's purely visual, but making the text/score look more like the vector art of the original game would go a LONG way to selling this remake in my opinion.Second one is more gameplay, but it seems like the ship doesn't 'drift' right.. it more 'skids' and comes to an abrupt stop. Can that be curved out a little better?

The ship has inertia damping.

But honestly, I don't know how to decelerate it the way you suggest.

Edited by SIO2

The ship pilots similar to asteroids, so you could look at that. Really, though, what you're just doing is slowing the rate of your movement to zero...

So , simplifying it somewhat...

X += DX; Y+= DY;

if DX>0 DX -= ACC;

if DX<0 DX += ACC;

if DY>0 DY -= ACC;

if DY<0 DY += ACC;

Then just lower the ACC each frame until it hits zero;

The ship pilots similar to asteroids, so you could look at that. Really, though, what you're just doing is slowing the rate of your movement to zero...So , simplifying it somewhat...X += DX; Y+= DY;if DX>0 DX -= ACC;if DX<0 DX += ACC;if DY>0 DY -= ACC;if DY<0 DY += ACC;Then just lower the ACC each frame until it hits zero;

Is this the correct translation to 7800Bas?

dx=x+1

dy=y+1

if dx>0 then acc=dx-1 else acc=dx+1

if dy>0 then acc=dy-1 else acc=dy+1

Also, what are the terms?

I guess acc is acceleration and x and y are the ship position but what is dx?

In 7800bas the variables wrap so there is not really a <0 because <0 becomes >0

Edited by SIO2

I haven't had a chance to use 7800Bas yet.. Which his an oversight on my part, admittedly, I can't be sure if the syntax is exactly right. But, here it is in a nutshell.

X,Y is current position.

DX, DY are the changes to the position, found by the ship's angle and its acceleration.

ACC is the ship's overall acceleration.

So, DX and DY would actually be based on the ship's angle multiplied by the current acceleration. (Geometry math!)

When 'thrust' is applied, ACC would be its highest value. When thrust is not applied, ACC would gradually go down to zero.

Thanks Jaynz. I just had a very slight spark of recognition. I will see what I can do. Whatever I come up with or don't I would add it as an option. I know every space game out there uses some form of that model but I don't think every game has to be the same and, I like the crisp feel to the controls that the game currently has.