1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I recently got one and it works great! It's a bit less polished than the NT but still a brilliant product. I loaded it with an Everdrive and very happy with it. But that setup makes the total price quite high if you don't care much about carts (there is no jailbreak firmware).
  • Like 1

I recently got one and it works great! It's a bit less polished than the NT but still a brilliant product. I loaded it with an Everdrive and very happy with it. But that setup makes the total price quite high if you don't care much about carts (there is no jailbreak firmware).

My decision to purchase the AVS was solidified when Analogue announced that the NT Mini was $450. Nevermind the AVS beat NT Mini by several months, plus the NT Mini being 2.5x as expensive.

Super NT was comparable in price and makes an excellent spiritual sequel to the AVS. I had no qualms about getting one given the similar proce point. They also look great together (especially the NA purple or SFC editions).

Panicked expression of a mom who realizes they've misplaced one of their offspring at a busy travel terminal or perhaps left them ..home...alone...: "Kevin!"

I think Kevtris is very busy with something he can't talk about.

He might be active on discord, idk, I've yet to muck around with that.

I'm kind of getting back into comparing the different versions of the same game that run on Nt Mini, and made a Rampage video.

My quality still isn't super, but it's leaps and bounds over the ones I did last year.

I'm also digging the neo geo controller adapter I padhacked together for it. I'm thinking of doing one for the Super Nt, but I have to do a controller with enough buttons first. All in all, I think the Kevtris systems have been dominating my game time since they came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMoIAJS5IY

Edited by Reaperman

@Reaperman thanks for sharing the video. I would love to get an NT mini at the same price of the Super NT with the same stripped down features. I don't think that Analogue will release one or reissue the the original one.

@kevtris since your Zimba 3000 is currently on hold, would you release a cheaper NT mini clone with another company or with Gametech US if Analogue is not going to do it and will move forward to other projects? I think it will sell well. I'll pre order one.

Edited by Intense.Mark

My decision to purchase the AVS was solidified when Analogue announced that the NT Mini was $450. Nevermind the AVS beat NT Mini by several months, plus the NT Mini being 2.5x as expensive.

Super NT was comparable in price and makes an excellent spiritual sequel to the AVS. I had no qualms about getting one given the similar proce point. They also look great together (especially the NA purple or SFC editions).

I actually completely forgot about the AVS. Maybe I need to put that back on my radar, since it's both available and not insanely expensive, unlike the NT mini.

• Like 1

I actually completely forgot about the AVS. Maybe I need to put that back on my radar, since it's both available and not insanely expensive, unlike the NT mini.

The AVS is an excellent system! I am really happy with mine. Solid machine. And I have to say, I love the retro look. It really looks like the next version of the actual NES which I think is just awesome.

• Like 1

Are there any planned updates left for the Super Nt, or is that pretty much it? It's been pretty quiet lately.

I was hoping for some improved scanlines. Along with some possible 8-bit core support. I'd like to use the SDcard slot for something fun. I don't need the jailbreak since I use the SD2SNES.

Also, has there been any news on the Analogue DAC. To allow us to connect the Super Nt to an analog CRT.

I really shouldn't have, but I ordered one the other day. Time to donate a kidney for an N8 everdrive.

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 1

If you have a spare Nintendo and can get your hands on the kit, the HDMI NES by kevtris I'd put a notch over the AES unless you feel the need for that form factor or the bragging rights scoreboard system it has to share with others. Kevtris did a wonderous job on that along with the Super NT as well and that's where my purchasing went towards without an ounce of regret at all.

• Like 2

Are there any planned updates left for the Super Nt, or is that pretty much it? It's been pretty quiet lately.

I was hoping for some improved scanlines. Along with some possible 8-bit core support. I'd like to use the SDcard slot for something fun. I don't need the jailbreak since I use the SD2SNES.

Also, has there been any news on the Analogue DAC. To allow us to connect the Super Nt to an analog CRT.

I'm pretty sure Kevtris will get back to the SNT firmware sooner or later. I think he's working very hard on some other major project right now though.

We will have to wait and see, but I am hoping for an FPGA Genesis system. Even if that (his current project) is not it, I would think there will be one sometime in the next year or two.

That one does work very well on MiSTer

I've got both the Super NT and RetroUSB AVS, and can heartily recommend both.

My only issue with the Super NT is that the scanlines are too thin at 1080p (they look fine at 720p though). Otherwise it's a great machine.

I guess the downside of the AVS is that it does not support 1080p, but it looks fine at 720p. If you are only interested in playing NES games (i.e. not running any of the jailbreak firmware cores on the NT mini), it's perfect. My only issue with it is that you can't close the cover if you have a Famicom game inserted. You can use a FC-NES converter to resolve this, but then you will miss out of Famicom expansion audio, as most converter carts aren't wired to pass the audio from what I understand.

• Like 1

My only issue with the Super NT is that the scanlines are too thin at 1080p (they look fine at 720p though). Otherwise it's a great machine.

I guess the downside of the AVS is that it does not support 1080p, but it looks fine at 720p. If you are only interested in playing NES games (i.e. not running any of the jailbreak firmware cores on the NT mini), it's perfect. My only issue with it is that you can't close the cover if you have a Famicom game inserted. You can use a FC-NES converter to resolve this, but then you will miss out of Famicom expansion audio, as most converter carts aren't wired to pass the audio from what I understand.

If Analogue won't sell the NT mini anymore, I might get a Retrousb AVS. I just hope kevtris can reissue a v2 of the NT mini and even if its just with 1080p HDMI output only even if it's not with Analogue. There's a market for NES and famicom so hopefully we get another FPGA system.

• Like 1

I can certainly recommend the SuperNT mini. That plus the SD2NES is a really great combination. I beginning to wonder if I should reduce clutter and part with the original console... and then why do I need an upscaler. Oh wait... those darned review videos I will never make!

I was hoping my AVS was going to arrive today. It is not arriving until Tuesday, likely due to the holiday. I hope it breaks the jinx I've had with NES games. I've gone through about three original consoles... all with various problems. Many of the clones are just cheaply made, not reliable, and have compatibility problems. Been there done that. The Retron 5 gave me some hope, but I had issues with that and eventually returned it. Famicom games work fine with my Retrofreak, but I've had problems with adapters to allow NES games to be played on it. The adapter plus the game are top heavy and tend to wobble...

Edited by cybercylon

The Nt Mini offers a lot more than 1080p, even for exclusively NES: roms off sd with more compatibility than everdrive n8, s-video/component/composite/rgb output, power on/off from controller, custom palette loading off sd card, significantly more customization options, ability to enter menus while in-game, integer scaled output at reasonably close 1.25 PAR, mic input, music player, plus some other stuff I'm probably forgetting

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 1

I was a big fan of my AVS until the day that Kevtris came into this very thread and explained exactly why his system was the bigger bargain at over twice the price. That naturally had little to do with NES functionality, and Nt Mini being better doesn't change that AVS is a great little system, and still way better than Nintendo would bother to do.

The one big AVS feature that I do miss is the internet high score ability. I've played a lot of games for score, but for whatever reason it never occurred to me that it was an option on NES. I was too focused on NES's story or completion-driven gaming. AVS's score tables opened up whole genres of games to me that I usually played on Ataris.

--------------------------

For Nt Mini or Super Nt, would it be difficult for the menu to have some kind of basic 'favorites' functionality? Maybe something that copied a game/save to a dedicated folder. I've been discovering interesting games, and writing them down in a notebook to manually move later, but my guess is that I'm not the only one who'd be down for it.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1