IGNORED

Cartridge storage / picture / plans

Major_Tom_coming_home

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions / pictures / or plans for building storage for loose 2600 carts? I'm up to about 350 cartridges and my three shelf bookcase just isn't cutting it any more. I have games stacked 17 high which is getting awkward. My neighbor is a retired cabinet maker and is going to help me out, but the only idea that comes to my mind is a bookcase with a lot of shelves spaced slightly taller than the width of a cartridge that can hold the games horizontally without sacking anything vertically.

I have the perfect solution! :)

post-2131-0-02457400-1443372595_thumb.jpg

Don't know if this would work, but I remember having cassette cases that would separate the individual cassettes. If you don't want carts stacked, maybe you can create a very thin plywood. Here's a picture of I guess a shelf that holds 100 cassettes. Probably would look better too.

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks! I like the idea of something with individual slots for the cartridges, but it would have to be bought since building would be a pain. If there was something that was a wood finish and the slots were the right size for 2600 games t would be a nice idea.

Don't know if this would work, but I remember having cassette cases that would separate the individual cassettes. If you don't want carts stacked, maybe you can create a very thin plywood. Here's a picture of I guess a shelf that holds 100 cassettes. Probably would look better too.

Phil

Edited by Major_Tom_coming_home

Thanks, I might end up building something similar out of wood, but sized to fit the space I plan on using. For some reason it seems appropriate to me that VCS games should be stored in something made of wood...or at least fake plastic wood grain. :-)

I found a couple adjustable media shelves , stacked 'em & added some shelves to what was there .... the spacing isn't quite uniform but has gotten my carts out where I can get at them

LHQMvZF.jpg?1

Phil

I'm looking at building a cart shelving system similar to this. I've got the materials, just need to find the time to make it. Don't know whether to make the shelf deep enough to take those longer carts by Imagic and others, or have them in their own smaller unit.

Besides shelves, I use a briefcase.. Its perfect for on-the-go type situations. I can fit a system and quite a few games to take with me or I just leave it stuffed full of carts and slide it out when needed at home, plus it tucks away nicely when not in use. It looks pretty cool too.. i hope to get more of these cases.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where I can find more of these? I have two for 2600/7800 storage. I really like them and wish I had about 6 more...

looks like an 8-Track storage box ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8-Track-Portable-Black-Plastic-Storage-Case-With-Original-Box-Holds-12-/252162780070?hash=item3ab612aba6:g:hnEAAOSwo6lWQCOe

mebbe stroll though some old record stores ...I'll keep my eyes peeled ;)

Right now I'm rocking a combination of a media cabinet and track shelving for my 2600 games, and even that's not enough.

This summer I want to custom build some ceiling-height shelves for my game room. Gotta brush up on my woodworking a little bit, but custom is probably the way to go.

Sadly, I have them stored (most of them) in a book cabinet with a closing door. Can't see them, but I do pull out a select dozen titles then play those. Otherwise, my "favorites" are in the old 8 to a book (4 per side) Atari 2600 storage binders which, sadly, are in serious need of more tape on the binder.

I really need to get organized... :dunce:

looks like an 8-Track storage box ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8-Track-Portable-Black-Plastic-Storage-Case-With-Original-Box-Holds-12-/252162780070?hash=item3ab612aba6:g:hnEAAOSwo6lWQCOe

mebbe stroll though some old record stores ...I'll keep my eyes peeled ;)

Nice, yeah it does look like that! These were definitely designed specifically for 2600 games though. They fit like a glove. Would kill to find some more of these.....arg

• 4 months later...

I was looking for a way to sore my cartridges and couldn't find anything suitable so I designed a tray that can be wall hung stacked or laid flat. I drew it up in Sketchup and printed some off with a 3D printer.

post-45969-0-17894500-1464113326_thumb.jpgpost-45969-0-46646700-1464113334_thumb.jpgpost-45969-0-95055200-1464113345_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread here, my apologies. On the homepage, under Reference / How To / How To Organize you Game Collection, plastic drawer units manufactured by a company called Iris are used to store loose carts and it looks great!

http://atariage.com/howto/storage_tips/LooseCarts.html

Only problem is, I'm having a tough time finding these. The How-To even provides an Office Max stock number, but I still can't find em. Anyone know where to get them?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a wooden crate that I got at Michael's. It's about 13" wide and 18" long and holds 70 games very neatly with the end labels facing upward. It's got handles so it's good if you want to take your collection somewhere. You can fill the bottom with cartridges and then put the console and controllers on top. Now that I have more than 70 cartridges though, I will either have to get a second crate, or find some other solution. I don't want to stack the cartridges in multiple layers because it makes them hard to access.