IGNORED

Your Favorite Home Console Light Guns & Games

• 10 months later...

Here's a question... Does anyone know if the Atari light guns work on the commodore 64? I know that the 64 has around 8 or so lightgun games and it would probably motivate me to buy one from BEST electronics to know that if had another use besides the 7800 and XE games

Edited by mykgerard

I'd disagree. A reasonable amount of light gun games have been produced during every single home console generation from the NES / Master System generation up through the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 generation. The Wii got an especially large amount of quality light gun shooters thanks to it's motion controls, and a pretty good number were produced for use with the PlayStation Move as well.

Since light gun games have been popular for nearly the entire history of home video game consoles I don't see any reason why that popularity would cease anytime soon. There hasn't been much in the way of light gun shooters during the current console generation thus far, but even if nothing comes down the pipes this generation it's still only one console generation out of many and I'm sure there will be more next generation. Light gun games will never truly die off, because for as long as humans have had guns they've also had the desire to have fun playing with toy guns; and light gun games offer a very accessible, inexpensive, and and safe way to fulfill that primal urge to shoot stuff with toy guns. :D

Have you tried the Innovation brand Super Jolt Gun for the PlayStation and Saturn yet? It's got a blowback slide like the guns used in the arcade versions of the Time Crisis series and Point Blank, the PlayStation version works with both GunCon and Justifier games, and it comes with a foot pedal for Time Crisis as well. It's said to have a pretty hefty realistic weight to it and the reviews of it that I've seen (such as ComputerSpaceFan's video on the first page) have all been positive. I can't speak to the accuracy of the Super Jolt Gun myself, having not tried one yet, but it could be something to check out if you're looking for a home console gun with a realistic feel and more arcade bells and whistles. You can still find them new in box on eBay for around $50 too. :)

Some of my favorites. Famicom Hypershot 1989, PS1 GunCon 1994, PS2 GunCon2 2000, a Takara P&P 2004 and Wii Big Buck Hunter Pro Shotgun 2010.

post-54985-0-89523900-1504751984_thumb.jpg

post-54985-0-62443900-1504752494_thumb.jpg

All I ever really played in the 8 bit days were Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Safari Hunt & Operation Wolf.

I don't think I played any on the Genesis & SNES.

I fell in love with Mad Dog Mcree the first time I played it on the 3DO with the American Laser Games light gun. I know it's not really a "good" game but I was amazed by it at the time. Needles to say I also very much liked MDM 2, The Last Bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol, Drug Wars & Space Pirates.

I didn't play many on the PS1. Time Crisis is great but one of the light gun games I've played almost more than any other was the Die Harder part of Die Hard Trilogy. I think my crowning achievement in gaming is beating that using the PS1 controller w/o analog. Die Hard Trilogy 2 wasn't terrible but not as good as the first. Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James is pretty good. Basically Tine Crisis in the Wild West. I'm only now starting to try & build up my PS1 light gun collection.

As for the Saturn, of course the Virtua Cop series is great but I absolutely loved House of the Dead despite it being a less than stellar port.

House of the Dead 2 on the Dreamcast is probably my all time favorite light gun game. Confidential Mission is also really good.

The Wii was the best thing to happen to light gun games in a long time. HOTD 2 & 3 Returns was great. HOTD Overkill was amazing despite the frame rate. Resident Evil Unbrella & Darkside Chronicles were really, really good. Much better than I expected. Ghost Squad was an awesome Virtua Cop style game. Gunblade NY & LA Machine Guns is a great set. Target Terror is awful but worth playing just to experience its terribleness. Gunslingers, Dino Strike & Martian Panic are ok for budget titles. I Still like Mad Dog Mcree but I do wish they had polished it up a bit. Dead Space Extraction was very good. Medal of Honor Heros 2 has a pretty cool arcade mode which plays like a light gun game.

As for the PS3, all of the hd remakes are great. I personally like Time Crisis Razing Storm. It's a really good value too. HOTD 4 is really good though I still like the first 3 better. It's just missing something. It's the lack of blood & gore I think.

If you're into light gun games on the PS3 then a sharpshooter is a great choice. The Guncon probably has the best feel to it. The Interact gun for the Dreamcast is very decent & has a spot for a rumble pack. Years ago I had a Mad Catz light gun. I forget what it was called but it had interchangeable ends for the PS1 & Saturn. It was really small but felt really good otherwise.

For me it's mostly the NES stuff i grew up with (Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley) but also have an appreciation for Wild Gunman and Gotcha too. Later when I got a SMS their Safari/Jungle Hunt game I liked a lot, and they had that Gangster Land title that felt more fleshed out than Hogan's Alley for popping off mobsters.

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Sapicco said:

Is Duck Hunt VS available on a physical cart?  Never heard of it and want one. 

Legally/officially, no, since it's a VS system game. There are probably repros out there, but it's a lot cheaper to just get an Everdrive.

Edited by Asaki

Should I talk about this here or should I make a separate subtopic.  I noticed that light gun games are less accurate because they no longer use the screen as a reference they just use a line, the fact it's placed in the middle of the screen, and whether it's placed above the top or below the bottom of the screen, and that's all the wiimote like gun knows.

they should have put the four sensors on the four corners of the screen so it could send three dimensions where the physical screen is.

I notice a difference playing on a large 40in screen and a small 12in screen, with the 40 inch screed forcing you to "underaim" and a 12 inch screen forcing you to "overaim", meaning if you are perfectly in the center and a Target is 25% of the screen to the left of you under aiming is having to aim at like 10% left the center and overaiming needs you have to aim off-screen to hit your target.

Don't like gun on the Wii feels more like a positional gun.  If there was no crosshairs you cannot line it up very well.

However true like guns that use CRT TVs have true aim you can hit those four more different positions that a wiimote gun.

By the way has anyone tried Xbox Kinect  gun aiming or PlayStation Move aiming?  There was just one game Blue Estate, just wanted to know how the Amy was cuz I haven't had a chance to hook up a Kinect yet.  Is it more true to a CRT aim or more true to a Wiimote aim?

Hello. I got a little tangential with my last comnent.  I moved to a topic starter.  Modes are free to erase post 67 and put link to new location.

I think I have every official gun for every swappable ROM system in the CRT era except 1 (Inhave zero ALG 3DO Gameguns.) In post CRT era, i got An Xbox 360 Cabela Gun and 4 sets of wiimotes, nunchuks, and wii zappers.  I even bought 4 extra nunchuks for cheap so I don't have to wind and unwind the Nunchuk cord..   Rarest official gun: Philips Peacekeeper.

FAVES

8 BIT : gumshoe, missile defense 3d, crossbow.

16 bit: probably the worst era in gun games, no really good ones.

32 bit: The bond Villain era (the Golden Gun era). Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Area 51, Maximum Force. House of the Dead, Time Crisis, Point Blank (only have number 3. But I assume 1 and 2 are good too) Project Horned Owl,   (I hated Scud, and found Crypt Killer went down easy at the time, but no lasting memories.  Revolution X was ruined by no 3 player mode and no Stunners.  I remembered Police Trainer in the arcade.)

Last All-CRT era: House of the Dead 2, 3, Confidential Mission, Silent Scope Complete, Time Crisis 2.

Motion control era: the Conduit (are first person light gun maze shooter). Ghost Squad, LA Guns/ NY Gunblade, Mario Strikers goalie super shot save mini game. (Perfect in league one, blanked on league two). Also Attack of the Movies 3D WOULD have been been good, except for 3 things,

1. I think the game is impossible to beat level 1 in either 16x9 or 4x3 mode, and easier in the other, 

2.  You get chipped at little by little sometimes cheaply, instead of shot big, or escaped.

3.  If you're going to do red and cyan 3d, make it full 3d.  The only thing the 3d does is make you tell the depth of things, but everything looks like paper cutouts at different depths, almost like Star Wars the Phantom Menace 3d.  It like they used 2d + depth instead of left eye + right eye.

By the way. i don't own a Philips CD-i,  but I got the gun..  any good CD-i gun games, or should I eBay my Peacekeeper?

23 hours ago, tripletopper said:

Don't like gun on the Wii feels more like a positional gun.  If there was no crosshairs you cannot line it up very well.

Yeah, it's definitely not the same as a real lightgun, but as far as emulation goes, it's a little more "real" than using a mouse, so I prefer it. And I appreciate all the lightgun games that came out for the Wii.

Would love to have more lightguns for my consoles, but I can't justify (no pun intended) how much it would cost me...especially when there are so few games that support them, and then when there's games that require one specific gun over the other =|

Still have our old NES Zapper...sadly lost our SNES gun...kind of tempted to get an SMS gun. I always hear good things about those games, but I haven't tried them myself.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just giving this thread a little bump since I'm searching reaaaaaally hard trying to find one of these Crossfire Remote Pistol light guns for the Wii and I'm hopeful that one of the light gun collectors who follow this thread might have a spare they'd be cool with selling. I'm more than happy to pay international shipping costs if needed :)