Photo

What was the first system you programmed?

55 replies to this topic

#51 Derek Andrews OFFLINE  

Derek Andrews

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:44 PM

I learnt some FORTRAN while I was still at school. We wrote the program on coding forms which were sent off to Bristol University where someone punched cards, the program was run, and if it didn't exceed our allocated processing time etc, we got a print-out back in a week or so time ;-)

I also vaguely remember us having some sort of weird programmable calculator that involved a paper tape punch.

Things weren't much better a few years later after I graduated and got a job at TI(UK) programming ATE for memory chips. More punched cards and reams of paper! Eventually allowed time on a TI990 for writing programs, then had to lug reels of tape around, which were just as heavy as the cards.

#52 MrBlackCat OFFLINE  

MrBlackCat

Chopper Commander

• 124 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:13 PM

Commodore Vic 20's.  My father got us one fairly early on.  Actually, I attended a small red-neck school near where we lived and I was the only student with a computer at the time.  For a while, I would bring the Vic-20 to school each day and let the principle play with and taught him some programming in BASIC for a few minutes after school each day.  He got his own by the next year as I remember.

Shortly after that, I got a Vic-Modem (300!) and got on Compuserve I think it was at the time... so I have been BlackCat or MrBlackCat since 1984.

Second was a Commondore 64 (SX Actually) I got at a pawn shop very reasonably.  With its awesome Floppy Disk drive I could save stuff crazy fast, and fairly reliably. :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat, Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 PM.

#53 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 591 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 PM

IBM PC AT

#54 gauauu ONLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• 268 posts

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:37 PM

Basic on the TI-99 4a. I read through the "beginners basic" manual that came with it and was hooked.

#55 zzip ONLINE  

zzip

Dragonstomper

• 977 posts

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:12 PM

I think it was a Commodore PET.   I took a basic programming class on them shortly before getting my Atari.

#56 CRTGAMER OFFLINE  

CRTGAMER

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:18 PM

Would punching in a selection the Space Wars Cabinet count? I always selected fast and gravity. As far as programming it would be the Vic-20 and Commodore 64; all the Gazette magazine listings.

Edited by CRTGAMER, Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:19 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users