IGNORED

Trying to use SNES controllers on 7800 with combination of Seagull78 & Raph

ave1

I have purchased a Raphnet SNES-TO-SEGA Genesis controller adapter which uses a circuit to convert one controller type to another, and despite the warnings to not try using this on an Atari system on the Raphnet website I did it. Firstly I will say that it didn't damage my system, the adapter, or the SNES controller. Secondly, there was zero response when I tried it by itself on 7800 and also with my Seagull78 Genesis to 7800 adapter plugged in between it and the console (for two button compatibilty).

I also tried plugging my SNES controller with Raphnet adapter into a Best Electronics "B.E.s Sega Controller to Atari Systems adapter Cable" which puts the +5V from pin 7 over to pin 5 (which is what the Genesis controller adapter truly expects) with, again, zero response. I also tried it on a 2600 and got nothing.

Raphnet has a writeup on their SNES to Genesis adapter as well as their SNES to Atari adapter (which i don't own). In each of these informative writeups, it is stated that the circuit that's utilized in both types of adapters is one in the same. The only difference is the way the pinouts are wired (and I'm assuming that means +5V power is on pin 5 in the Genesis version and on pin 7 in the Atari version). I am assuming the power (whether on pin 7 or pin 5) is not sufficient to get the Raphnet adapter's onboard circuit working.

So- to sum things up- my attempt to convert the SNES-> Genesis Raphnet adapter that I own to Atari with the Best Electronics adapter didnt solve the problem (and neither did the Seagull78). What is going on here?

Okay- I connected up an external 5 volt power supply to the Raphnet SNES to Genesis adapter with connected SNES controller (I'm leaving the 1.21 gigawatts for later). I did it to see if maybe the +5V of the power adapter would be slightly more powerful within the adapter to liven it up on my 7800 console...

I made a male 9 pin to female 9 pin adapter (2 solderless connectors and a wire) with pin 7 on the console side disconnected and the power supply wires fed into pin 7 (+5V) and pin 8 (Ground) on the controller side.

Once that was done I tried connecting the Raphnet adapter (with its Genesis plug) directly to the 9 pin solderless connector cable I made. I got nothing. The I tried putting a Seagull78 Genesis to 7800 adapter in between but that was nonresponsive. Then I plugged my B.E.'s Genesis to Atari systems cable in place of the Seagull78 adapter. Still nothing...

Along the way I wondered if the wall plug was truly providing power to the Raphnet or Seagull adapters, so I connected a Genesis arcade stick that has lights that indicate it works straight up to the 7800 via the 9 pin adapter I made (with 5 Volts coming in from the power supply). The controller worked- lights and all. So... I suppose the +5 volts are definitely there.

So now I can rule out insufficient power coming into the Raphnet adapter as one reason it's not functioning. If it's not a lack of power on pin 7 (or pin 5 when getting through the B.E. adapter), then something else is not getting connected right in the pins. Great Scott, I am utterly baffled!