IGNORED

"Secretum Labyrinth The Legend" now Available on Cartridge

peteym5

I tried an old or middle English translator. If I were to go through all the texts in Kings Gold. I will not over use that style of English just to so the majority of the players can understand what the texts. Also I try not to make something much longer that what is currently used, just to keep it fitting inside that text window on the Atari screen.

Current

"Many Centuries ago lived a King who had six gold treasures that he hid in a secret dungeon. His Kingdom has been long lost, until you recently discovered the entrance to the underground labyrinth. There is a legend of the treasures being guarded many magical creatures."

Full Translation
"Many centuries ago th're wast a king with six gold treasures yond that gent did hide in a secret dungeon. His kingdom wast braving war but hath lost. Th're is a legend yond pow'rful monst'rs didst protecteth the treasures. Thee recently hath found the entrance of labyrinth dungeon.
What I will prefer to use to keep it readable by majority.
"Many centuries ago there wast a king with six gold treasures that he hideth in the dungeon. His kingdom wast braving war but hath lost. There is a legend yond powerful monsters didst protecteth the treasures. Thee recently hath found the entrance of the labyrinth dungeon."
  • Like 1

Anyone here a version of "Kings Gold" with translated Middle English texts?

This is something I might do with the sequel of "The Legend." I still need to make up a back story involving several castles with dark magic for this new game. Looks like several here know about literature and willing to give advice. However the main story is something I need to make my own.

I believe most people will be perfectly happy with just a modern English version without the spelling mistakes and your strange grammatical rules. I, for one, would be and it sure would make your product more professional and appealing. You DO realize that even the title of your demo version is barely grammatical, right? Just a personal opinion...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

• Like 2

"Secretum Labyrinth" is a title I chosen to keep it unique. It is Latin for Secret Maze. I decided to use Labyrinth instead of labyrinthus to make it shorter, and Labyrinth is still a Latin derived word.

The scrolls inside these games were written by ancient characters trapped inside dungeon that died long time ago. Some texts probably were shorten to make them fit inside on a single screen. However, I had gone through the texts, made some slight changes to the story so things make sense. I had one of my beta testers go through the texts and made some additional changes. I also checked things with a word processor, only some nouns I made up had a red underline. I will be preparing an update for "Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" today.

I can do both a modern English version and Middle (Shakespeare, Medieval) English/Latin variant, but I see I may need to keep some newer English words in the scrolls so people can understand them.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

At least peteym is not using greek, chinese, korean, japanese, russian, serbian, bulgarian, sorbian, arabian and other languages that I do not understand at all. Some typos and errors (grammar, misspellings, etc.) here and there, pffft, I do not mind - especially since english is not my mother tongue...

if we are to go by todays etiquette on text and forums there is to be no capitalization of any kind no punctuation and no gender related nouns or pronouns unless requested by the other party and only in as much as it does not offend other partys that might see it the apostrophe is relegated to nothingness as it implies ownership in many words and ownership is also something that is now considered negative or bad the rules continue to change and a wonderment has been evoked will I be relegated as selfish next and how will that be resolved what of me

person is to be people there is son in person and so on kid you not thats straight from both kids colleges but we are trying

of course if you do not use apostrophe correctly in the old form some go bonkers and if you do use it other people go bonkers

at some point it is going to snap

omg thats leetspeak from years gone by and I read every word of it as if a day hadnt passed

im not sure i want to go back to that though its a novelty that wore off as more and more people got the hang of it

the old is new again

Edited by _The Doctor__

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231275-secretum-labyrinth-kings-gold/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3964293

I have posted an update for the "Secretum Labyrinth King's Gold." and this will be the Modern English version. I also made some slight changes to the story with in the game. Now it sometimes take a lot of work to sometimes to make these small changes

The cartridge game "Secretum Labyrinth:The Legend" has a different story and all different texts in the scrolls. I checked last night and did not find any misspelled words and pretty sure just about anyone speaking English can understand it. It was checked by the beta testers three years ago since it was a game going to market. No one has reported any issues. Then again, I can always say that the scrolls were written sometime in the past by some long dead character that does long speak modern language.

Edited by peteym5

I have "Secretum Labyrinth King's Gold" more inline with grammar better English now. Since the cartridge game "The Legend" is using a different story, I am leaving that game as is. I check the scrolls with a spell checker and only reported about those custom nouns. Again I can just claim the scrolls were written by long dead characters whose English is not perfect. The game works and what is written on the scrolls make sense. I always say look at those old NES and SEGA games translated to English, that are fun to read.

I was originally planning to put the bigger Fantasy RPG Adventure game on a 128K XEGS, 128K AtariMax, or Floppy Disk for computers with 128K or larger. However learning new optimizations and using Inflate/Deflate, I go most of what I envisioned on a 64K Williams cartridge.

I am in the process of designing the next Secretum Labyrinth game for cartridge. Looking to make this one with much more stuff in it. Already played around with some programming that is more compact and opens up more space to allow other things to happen. Look at Youtube videos of this top-down view of the RPG games. Others with first person perspective or side view. Having more function is just as important as good graphics. I am consulting webpages and articles about fantasy role playing games, I may sign onto some RPG forums. The most important people for me to consult with is you, the people that like to play these Fantasy Adventure Role Playing Games. Get some feed back from people that play these and know something about them.

Edited by peteym5

I decided to make up a new video in HD video of "Secretum Labyrinth The Legend" using same techniques I used for HeliCommander and Putt 18 that end up looking really good on YouTube. I really want to make this into my flagship game series and have something similar "Legend of Zelda" here on the Atari 8-bit for everyone to enjoy. This is a 15 minute long play showing a possible way to get extra experience points and to a higher skill level faster. I am glad that I kept things positive between myself and the AtariAge and Atari.IO communities. I believe by providing the first game in the series "Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" as a beta/demo provided something for people to try and let people decide if they would like to show some support with the purchase the cartridge.

I have been working on some programming that could potentially go into the next Secretum Labyrinth game. Optimizations, getting the routines to do more different functions and be not take up much more room. I have been going over my list of things I like to try make possible in the next game. Larger maps and more monsters, to start with. See what I can do to make the graphics better with using Super IRG and Multiplexing the sprites. Of course I cannot disclose all my ideals with you all right now. You know I did throwing the hammer at a wall to open a secret exit, but need to come up with something with "detect hidden" to let the player know there is something hidden in the room. Maybe have to get a device first.

• Like 4

"Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" first look. Early Work in Progress of changes I am making to this Role Playing Game Engine for the Atari 8-bit. This is showing some changes I am making to the title splash screen. Put a graphic behind the Title text on this one giving it an atmosphere of an Adventure game. I have been optimizing the engine, room drawing routines, and monster movement to open up more room in the RAM to allow more stuff to happen. Hoping to add stuff like currency and markets, spells, items to get past points in the game, and many other things. New music is being composed. A new and different interactive story is being worked on. The text you see in the video is of a real early draft. We will reveal the final draft when the cartridge is ready.

• Like 3

At least peteym is not using greek, chinese, korean, japanese, russian, serbian, bulgarian, sorbian, arabian and other languages that I do not understand at all. Some typos and errors (grammar, misspellings, etc.) here and there, pffft, I do not mind - especially since english is not my mother tongue...

I would like to use Old to Medieval English with some Latin mixed in to give this Fantasy Game that feel it is taking place prior to the Renaissance. Cannot be too heavy because everyone still has to be able to read it. I am even critical of the Music being made to sound too modern. So something from "The Who" or "Deaf Leopard" probably will not make the play list.

1f y0u r34lly w4n7 70 c0mmun1c473 1n 70d4y'5 l4n6u463 7h3n 7h15 15 h0w 17 w0uld l00k

Interesting. I am considering having something you need to decode to get past a point inside the game.

It's the "kings gold" expression I was referring to... Apostrophe?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Only thing I can do is just be more careful with future games. If the player can read, understand, and figure out what is said, that is ok. I can say the text in the scrolls were written by long dead past characters that probably not fluent with modern grammar and punctuation, been a prisoner in the dungeon, or something effecting his mental state. I am not a student of advance literature, and I have been handing texts off to others to see if they can word them better. The Text in the scrolls is just one of many elements I need to deal with putting these Fantasy Adventure Games together. I do have better help with stuff I am working on now. When I started working this game series, was still working with KJMANN that who was not into RPGs so I had to do all the work myself.

The next Secretum Labyrinth Games I am looking at making the graphics look better, move better, more frames of animation. More different images of characters moving in different directions. The better looking graphics, the more will be sold. I am working on more function and stuff you need to do to get beyond points inside the game. I cannot go to heavily into detail what I am planning due to concerns about theft of ideals. Plus I want to surprise people when the get the game and start playing. I may update Kings Gold again with new stuff to help promote the other games sold on cartridge.

I can say I am looking more seriously into a save progress feature. It may be saving to floppy or saving to flash cartridge. I do not believe too many will make use of save to cassette tape or need to type in a very long code to continue where they left off.

Edited by peteym5

To keep everyone in the loop. Here is a Work in Progress of how I am making the weapons animations better. I still have to come up with some weapons have advantages and disadvantages. I am thinking about having Arrow reshoot time slowing because I know Bow and Arrows are not suppose to act like a machine gun.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

Here is an update to my work for weapons in Secretum Labyrinth. Flail Animations making better circlular motion. Longer delay on the Arrows. For a brief instant, you can see the tail end of the arrow behind the mail character before being launched forward, representing the arrow is being pulled back. When the arrow is selected, you see an extra icon of an arrow with the #99 next to it. This will be the number of arrows you have in your inventory. They will be going down as you use them. This is still at unlimited arrows until I implement the barter system where you have a place to go to buy more arrows.

I am working on some ideals to improve the graphic. Looking into having less, but more powerful creatures on some screens to reduce flicker. Use graphics font characters to represent objects instead player/missiles. I know the flickering may take something away from the gaming experience. I do intend to sell the game on cartridge. I would like put something together something people will like, make it look great, grab peoples' interest.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello guys, I was going through my folders, that contain source code, sounds, graphics, and other files used to develop games, and I found this and made a YouTube video of it to show everyone something that goes on behind the scenes with the more complicated stufff I work on.

Now this was Pre-Concept Demo or Prototype of the Adventure Role Playing Game engine which we used for Secretum Labyrinth. It was incomplete at the time program was compiled back in 2014. I know there are some bugs and glitches. It used the Venture RMT file because I did not have my own music ready for it. Also some things still resembled "The Legend of Zelda" that needed to be changed. I was not sure if I knew about Nintendo threatening to legal action over "Princess Rescue" (2600) at the time. However, I want to make my stuff more original or generic enough so there is no one can claim that ideals were stolen.
These get shown to a limited group of people to get feed back and suggestions about changes. Well it did get shown to one person, who I hoped can come up with some epic sounding original music. I won't mention his name. He did not say nothing back to me, but had major complaints to Video 61 and tried to convince him not to publish it. However Video 61 responded with that nothing like this had been done on the Atari 8-bit computer, but it did need more work. I actually got suggestions from Video 61 and nothing from the other person.
Well "Legend of the Myth Realms" was the working title before 2015, and that got changed to "Secretum Labyrinth" for the name of the game series of King's Gold, The Legend, Xenogenesis (5200), and Dark Castles. It eventually evolved into this...How many changes did I make?
Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1