IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

Hey guys,

Here's another great way to play your ColecoVision games on a modern TV. I'm now offering an upgrade for the ColecoVision Flashback, similar to my upgrade service for the Intellivision Flashback. The upgrade is set up for original ColecoVision controllers, but you can also use the CV Flashback, Atari 2600, and Intellivision controllers.

post-16548-0-48771100-1448134550_thumb.jpg post-16548-0-56994200-1448134551_thumb.jpg post-16548-0-75747400-1448134549_thumb.jpg

The system includes:

• The Ultimate CVFB decal upgrade (thanks to pboland!).
  • Raspberry Pi 3 computer + beefier power supply.
  • Ultimate PC Interface.
  • USB extension cable.

What you get:

• Beautiful HDMI output.
  • Wifi connectivity.
  • USB keyboard input (keyboard not included!).
  • Nanochess's awesome CoolCV emulator.
  • Most of the 60 games you've already purchased + the ability to add more games.
  • EmulationStation front-end.

post-16548-0-08429700-1456859889_thumb.jpg

Cost:

• $159 including shipping from me. (It would cost you over $130 to do this project yourself.) You pay to ship your Flashback (unit only) to me.

PM me here or email me at holcozerozerofour@umn.edu (change words to numbers) if you'd like to order. Make sure you read the manual below first!

Early Version of Manual:

Ultimate ColecoVision Flashback Setup.pdf

Latest Version of Manual:

Ultimate ColecoVision Flashback Setup.pdf

• Like 12

So I can connect to the internet and retrieve ROMs. This is nice, but I'd rather just add ROMs with a USB key, if I can. I don't know anything about the RetroPi, I must admit. :)

If you are familiar and comfortable with Linux, then you should be able to find which ever means best fits your situation to get you own ROMs on to it.

(While what I initially wrote is true, check out the PDF in the OP. Looks like you should be all set.)

Not growing up with a CV myself, I'm curious to know what controller most people use to play games. I need to figure out if I should map the pause, reset, and exit emulator functions to player1 or player2. I've found that using the 2600 controller for most of the arcade ports works best for me...

Not growing up with a CV myself, I'm curious to know what controller most people use to play games. I need to figure out if I should map the pause, reset, and exit emulator functions to player1 or player2. I've found that using the 2600 controller for most of the arcade ports works best for me...

Very few ColecoVision games don't use the keypad at all. In many games, you need to press a keypad key to select a skill level. Several other games integrate keypad usage during gameplay in a continuous manner. If I was in your place and was limited to stock controllers only for input options, I would probably map the pause, reset and exit emulator functions to player 2's keypad.

• Like 1

Either one will allow those other systems to run, it's just a matter of which startupscreen you want!

Getting the other emulators running is usually just a matter of adding roms to the proper folders, but just note that I don't have the time or energy to support the other emulators - you're on your own there. However, David Harley's site has good info for getting the other emulators fine-tuned.

Couple questions- does this allow for multiple emulators to be installed and used (ie. An NES emulator)?

Also- are the compatible emulators the same ones that run on PC, or maybe Android?

Oh and one more: can Genesis controllers be uaed?

Edited by ave1

Couple questions- does this allow for multiple emulators to be installed and used (ie. An NES emulator)?

Also- are the compatible emulators the same ones that run on PC, or maybe Android?

Oh and one more: can Genesis controllers be uaed?

The other emulators are already actually installed - all you typically have to do is add roms to the proper folder via a USB thumb drive to get them up and running. I believe that Nestopia is the NES emulator that comes with it. As mentioned above, I don't support the other emulators as it takes a lot of tinkering to get everything working perfectly. Check out David Harley's site for that.

Both the Genesis 3 and 6 button controllers are supported with the UPCI. Sorry, I was wrong - Sega controllers are no longer supported with the latest firmware version for the UPCI.

Edited by Byte Knight

I'm not getting this. So you're removing the insides of the CV Flashback and putting a Raspberry Pi inside?

The old guts stay there, at least logically if not physically ("get the 60 games you paid for") but there's also a controller adapter as well as a Pi, plus all the good things that come along with that: microSD, USB, wifi, HDMI. It's a pretty serious upgrade!
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

Here's another great way to play your ColecoVision games on a modern TV. I'm now offering an upgrade for the ColecoVision Flashback, similar to my upgrade service for the Intellivision Flashback. The upgrade is set up for original ColecoVision controllers, but you can also use the CV Flashback, Atari 2600, and Intellivision controllers. The upgrade uses your existing power supply.

attachicon.gifIMG_1810.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_1812.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_1809.JPG

The system includes:

• The Ultimate CVFB decal upgrade (thanks to pboland!).
  • Raspberry 2 computer.
  • Ultimate PC Interface.
  • USB wifi dongle.
  • USB extension cable.

What you get:

• Beautiful HDMI output.
  • Wifi connectivity.
  • USB keyboard input (keyboard not included!).
  • Nanochess's awesome CoolCV emulator.
  • The 60 games you've already purchased + the ability to add more games.
  • EmulationStation front-end.

Cost:

• $159 including shipping from me. (It would cost you over $130 to do this project yourself.) You pay to ship your Flashback (unit only) to me.

PM me here or email me at holcozerozerofour@umn.edu (change words to numbers) if you'd like to order. Make sure you read the manual below first!

attachicon.gifUltimate ColecoVision Flashback Setup.pdf

Awesome work! Will mention this in the next episode of ColecoVisions Podcast :)