IGNORED

Games you think are worth their high price?

Dashopepper

A lot of valuable games are pretty crappy. Their price is more a reflection of rarity rather then value. So what games do you think are worth their steep asking price? (and yes I know about emulation...)

One for me is Pocky & Rocky for the SNES. From the moment you put it in it's one of the best "feeling" games I have played. It's quick and responsive and easy to control. The graphics are charming, clean, and colorful. It's also a good crossroads of genres, challenging, and excellent 2 player co-op.

Now as the game approaches $100 it's price may be soon outweighing its value. But it's definitely one of the best for the money.

For me it's Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64. I got mine for $65 loose and usually it goes around $80 nowadays. I love the sick humor, the multiplayer death matches, and the game is so fun you will hardly put down the controller. Conker's is worth the price and one of the must owns for the '64.

• Like 2

Protector for the Vectrex; I paid a hefty price for my copy many years back and wouldn't entertain any offers less than $1K (and even at that price I wouldn't let it go: George Pelonis was the original owner and I bought it from him).

The complete package is one thing (box, instruction card and overlay) but the game itself is a fantastic port of Defender and still amazes me that the Vectrex is that good.

Alex Herbert did an amazing job with that game, if only he had continued making games for the Vectrex...

Edited by TMOSteel

Protector for the Vectrex; I paid a hefty price for my copy many years back and wouldn't entertain any offers less than $1K (and even at that price I wouldn't let it go: George Pelonis was the original owner and I bought it from him).

The complete package is one thing (box, instruction card and overlay) but the game itself is a fantastic port of Defender and still amazes me that the Vectrex is that good.

Alex Herbert did an amazing job with that game, if only he had continued making games for the Vectrex...

Or just buy it here for $15 and get space invaders as well.

http://www.packratvg.com/vprotyasi.html

• Like 1

It took me about 10 days to beat "Ninja Gaiden III" so I feel like I got my $40 worth for a loose cart.

I have "Truxton" and don't think that it's worth the high prices that it's fetching these days, but I'm not the biggest fan of shmups. I'm considering selling because I rarely play it.

Maybe some RPGs would really be worth the money, I don't have rare ass games really. As a younger guy, even though I wasn't necessarily into rare stuff then either, they did seem more carrot dangling and make me salivate a little more if they looked like fun. These days I'm smart enough to know no rare game is really any better than the common game of my choice for 1/10 of the price. The only rare-ish game that I keep thinking about since I've never played it is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I'm sure would be worth it in its own way, not worth it since the HD ports are probably better to look at. I have the PSP game with it on it as an unlockable, so I technically own it, but don't want to play it on a little handheld. Digital downloads just happen to be on systems I'd prefer it not to be on, so I'm kind of out in the cold on it. I suppose I could just break down and emulate it on PC.

I have "Truxton" and don't think that it's worth the high prices that it's fetching these days, but I'm not the biggest fan of shmups. I'm considering selling because I rarely play it.

I'm a pretty big fan of shmups and even I don't think Truxton is worth the price it's going for these days. I ended up reselling my copy a few days after I beat it, because I never want to have to play through that final level again. :lol: Thunder Force III and Raiden Trad on the other hand are totally worth the $20 to $30 price they command, at least for the Genesis versions (I haven't played their SNES counterparts).

In the more costly departments, I think Diablo for the PlayStation is completely worth the $40 to $50 price tag if you enjoy that style of dungeon crawler. The same goes for Doom and Doom II on the Game Boy Advance and Resident Evil: Gaiden for the Game Boy Color. I think the GBA versions of Doom and Doom II are my favorite console ports, and RE: Gaiden is absolutely worth it's high price tag if you're a fan of the Resident Evil series. It's very different from most Resident Evil games but well suited to the Game Boy Color, and it's definitely one of my favorite Game Boy Color games in general. Kid Dracula for the original Game Boy is another that is not to be missed if you enjoy Game Boy games.

Lastly, while it's not exactly a game cartridge or disc, I can't talk about expensive video games that I think are worth the money without at least mentioning the iCade 60-in-1 JAMMA arcade PCB. I ended up getting one (in a bartop sized Centipede cabinet from http://doxcade.com) earlier this year and I think it was worth every penny that I paid for it. MAME tends to be the most popular way to go for home arcade setups, but a good MAME setup can cost a small fortune—especially if you're having someone else build it for you—and I think the iCade 60-in-1 PCB is a much more cost efficient way to enjoy the luxury of playing the real arcade versions of the vast majority of the most iconic games of the 1980's in the comfort of your own home. It'll still set you back a fair chunk of change ($400'ish for a complete bartop sized machine running the PCB, plus an additional $40 or so for a trackball for Centipede and Millipede and another $80 if you want a spinner for Arkanoid and Super Breakout) but if you love arcade games then you'll be hard pressed to find a more simple and affordable way to enjoy most of the big hits of the 80's on a real arcade machine of your own.

Edited by Jin

For me it's Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64. I got mine for $65 loose and usually it goes around $80 nowadays. I love the sick humor, the multiplayer death matches, and the game is so fun you will hardly put down the controller. Conker's is worth the price and one of the must owns for the '64.

I bought Conker's Bad Fur Day for $35 a few years back before it got badshit expensive. It's definitely a cult classic for all the right reasons. At first I questioned paying $35 for a cartoony game about a potty-mouthed squirrel, but I loved it. It's easily worth the $80 it's going for right now. $100+ would be pushing it though.

Problem with high-priced games is they don't get played by everyone. They are at greater risk of falling through the cracks as time rolls on. Eventually the only thing that may save them is gossip in forums or ROM downloads on FTP sites.

Too many for my taste are on this bandwagon of artificial scarcity. And I don't even know what they are! And that is their problem because I have a huge backlog of games, enough to last me another 25 years.. easy..

• Like 1

Yep.

More seriously, aside from that Air Raid joke (and maybe not.. after all this game is so bad, that 10 000 price tag ensure that only fools that never play games will buy it, so innocent gamers are preserved from the crappiness factor).

I think hat only the games that were rare to start are worthy of their high price.

Games like Rule of Rose, Skullmonkeys, Vib Ribbon, that sold few copies and now are recognized as good games, outstanding, original.

But when someone want to sell me a Zelda game that sold more than 10 millions copies, for more than 5 bucks, I say "LOL SCREW YOU" If it sold well there is no reason to sell it more than his value when new. Or even for more than any other game of the era.

I'm a pretty big fan of shmups and even I don't think Truxton is worth the price it's going for these days. I ended up reselling my copy a few days after I beat it, because I never want to have to play through that final level again. :lol: Thunder Force III and Raiden Trad on the other hand are totally worth the $20 to $30 price they command, at least for the Genesis versions (I haven't played their SNES counterparts).

I'd be a bigger fan of shmups if I could beat any of them. It's a genre that I'm horrible at.

• Like 1

I'd be a bigger fan of shmups if I could beat any of them. It's a genre that I'm horrible at.

Don't feel too bad about it. I could never even dream of beating any Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi game, let alone 1CC them like you have. We all have game genres we're just not very good at, and for me that's platformers. If you're looking for an easier but still really good shmup to sink your teeth into I recommend Thunder Force III for the Genesis, Solar Striker for the Game Boy, Project S-11 for the Game Boy Color, or Iridion II for the Game Boy Advance. Those are all games that should be a bit easier than the majority of well made shmups out there. :)

Maybe some RPGs would really be worth the money, I don't have rare ass games really. As a younger guy, even though I wasn't necessarily into rare stuff then either, they did seem more carrot dangling and make me salivate a little more if they looked like fun. These days I'm smart enough to know no rare game is really any better than the common game of my choice for 1/10 of the price. The only rare-ish game that I keep thinking about since I've never played it is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I'm sure would be worth it in its own way, not worth it since the HD ports are probably better to look at. I have the PSP game with it on it as an unlockable, so I technically own it, but don't want to play it on a little handheld. Digital downloads just happen to be on systems I'd prefer it not to be on, so I'm kind of out in the cold on it. I suppose I could just break down and emulate it on PC.

Its kind of like Rip Off vs Star Castle on the Vectrex. Rip Off is an awesome game for a lot less.

Don't feel too bad about it. I could never even dream of beating any Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi game, let alone 1CC them like you have. We all have game genres we're just not very good at, and for me that's platformers. If you're looking for an easier but still really good shmup to sink your teeth into I recommend Thunder Force III for the Genesis, Solar Striker for the Game Boy, Project S-11 for the Game Boy Color, or Iridion II for the Game Boy Advance. Those are all games that should be a bit easier than the majority of well made shmups out there. :)

If you can beat "Castlevania" without a game over then you can handle the "Ninja Gaiden" series. It has similar play mechanics, but your guy doesn't move like an 80 year-old with arthritis. :)

...Dracula X: Rhondo of Blood on the PC Engine DUO ($80 - $120)...

^THIS^. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Be leery of the ones you find not to be bootleg copies though. Quite easy to make/burn your own and have it look professional. Areas of interest like this page have been around since the mid-late 90's.

Regardless, by far, the best Castlevania game in the 8 & 16-bit lineup, IMHO. Quite apropos considering the hybrid 16-bit graphics / 8-bit CPU of the system.

The SNES offering of Dracula X (XX = Super Famicom / Vampire's Kiss = PAL), is a good game in itself, but no-where near as good as, Rondo of Blood; ditto concerning the Sega Genesis entry of Bloodlines.

If you can beat "Castlevania" without a game over then you can handle the "Ninja Gaiden" series. It has similar play mechanics, but your guy doesn't move like an 80 year-old with arthritis. :)

For some reason Castlevania and the original Sonic the Hedgehog series are the only platformers I can think of that I've ever been terribly good it, but maybe that's just because I like them the best and have spent the most time playing them. I've really tried to like Ninja Gaiden and the Shinobi series but never could get more than a few levels into them. There's just way too may "an enemy flies in out of nowhere and knocks you off a ledge" type of situations in those games and I always find myself getting really frustrated with them in short order. Castlevania is a challenging game for sure, but I feel like it doesn't demand the same kind of lightning fast reflexes that Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi do. Once you memorize where everything is in Castlevania you can play through it at a pretty leisurely pace without having to react too fast to anything you know is coming, whereas in Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi you'll still knocked off that ledge even if you know the enemy is coming if you don't have ultra fast reflexes and react the split second the enemy in question enters the screen. I think the only reason that I've been able to 1CC Castlevania is that it is so slow compared to the other challenging platforms out there. :lol:

Anyway, to get back to the subject of the thread, some other good games that are worth their high price (IMHO): Pretty much any popular game on the GameCube. It seems like GameCube games in general have just rocketed up in value over the last few years, and most of the popular and well known titles are in the $40 to $60 CIB area these days. All the Zelda games, Star Fox Adventures & Assault, Killer 7, all the Resident Evil titles, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Mario Party 4 to name a few.

Tengen Tetris is worth the price in my opinion. Gotta love the co-op mode. Granted it's never been stupid expensive either, just kind of elevated.

I'd also throw in Jack Bros for the Virtual Boy. The library is so tiny that you may as well make an effort to get the best games for it in order to justify owning the thing. Jack Bros is a good time.

• Like 1

Tengin Tetris has always been around $40, give or take.. It's worth it, had a couple over the years but currently don't. R.C. Pro-Am Racing II was another game I felt it was worth paying the high price but my NES collecting has pretty much been at a hault since I'm more interested in older consoles.