IGNORED

Emulating the game White Men Can't Jump?

adriano gt

Anyone else find that title to be racially offensive?

Normally it would be, but in this case it's okay because the target is Evil Whitey. Or something. The "reasoning" behind political correctness is so convoluted and twisted that it's hard to know what's deemed "offensive" on any given day and what isn't. I guess the title wasn't considered offensive in 1995, although I remember it rubbing me the wrong way even then.

If someone had made a game called "Black Men Can't Swim," or something along those lines, that would certainly (and rightly) have been considered offensive, even though it isn't any more of a slight against that group as "White Men Can't Jump" is against the other group.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So to you questioning your jumping abilities is as offensive as saying you are useless to society?

It's not about me personally. It's about negative stereotypes. "White men can't jump" promotes a negative stereotype that white men aren't athletic. I often run across a similar one that says whites don't have rhythm or the like. I'm not going to get into a pissing match about the various degrees of "bad." That kind of thing is bad, period, and is offensive. I'll just say that there was an acclaimed movie (and then video game apparently) that had a stereotype hurtful to whites as its title, but there was no movie similarly employing a racial stereotype that was hurtful to blacks; at least not in modern post civil rights era anyway.

It's not about me personally. It's about negative stereotypes. "White men can't jump" promotes a negative stereotype that white men aren't athletic. I often run across a similar one that says whites don't have rhythm or the like. I'm not going to get into a pissing match about the various degrees of "bad." That kind of thing is bad, period, and is offensive. I'll just say that there was an acclaimed movie (and then video game apparently) that had a stereotype hurtful to whites as its title, but there was no movie similarly employing a racial stereotype that was hurtful to blacks; at least not in modern post civil rights era anyway.

So isn't the lack of sports skills worth the white privalege you enjoy?

So isn't the lack of sports skills worth the white privalege you enjoy?

So... you are saying that:

• I'm white.
  • I have a lack of sports skills.
  • I enjoy some some special privileges because of my skin color.

And you know all of this because based on? Wow, talk about racial prejudice. Although, I have observed that's about how it usually goes. Some people even think it is not possible for minorities to be racist, prejudice, etc. Of course, those people are complete fools, but it is troubling that they could even think that way.

So I can say you can't jump and that makes me racist, but you can say black men lack responsibility and you are racial prejidice free?

I don't say that. Haven't you been paying attention? I pointed out a couple of examples of racial stereotypes of blacks to demonstrate how wrong they are, by "putting the shoe on the other foot" as it were. I don't believe in making determinations like that about people based on their race, but apparently Spike Lee does.