IGNORED

Atari 400 Keyboard—any good ones out there?

electronizer

I bought an Atari 400 for my collection because I love the design, but using the membrane keyboard is a challenge. I have to type _slowly_, and even then, I often have to go back and press a key again because the key press didn't get picked up the first time. My question is, are all 400 membrane keyboards universally poor in terms of sensitivity, or are there some that are better than others? It would be great to have every key press register on the first try; would installing a NOS membrane keyboard accomplish this?

Huh, I'm running to the same problem on the Odyssey 2 membrane keyboard. I know that keyboards after they sit for a while need some "exercise" to clean off the contacts, but aside from typing on them a lot not sure what else you can do for membrane keyboards.

Love the Atari 400 though. Started on that computer. Recently adapted a Atari 400 keyboard for an Atari 800, mainly because it was a parts 800 and needed a keyboard for it.

@towmater, that brings back memories! The first 400 I saw had a keyboard like that. It was at a MAAUG meeting and I remember my dad commenting on how the owner had installed a real keyboard.

Atari marketed the 400 as a kid-friendly computer (easy to clean up keyboard spills), but I can easily see a kid getting frustrated playing a game on a keyboard that only registers every other keypress at best!

Careful, that first auction has two keys missing.

There is also the B-Key keyboards (Almost identical to the Cherry)

Has anyone modeled them, yet? I have a B-key keyboard and made some replacements the old-fashioned way - molding and casting.

I dunno if Shapeways is the best place to put our nascent library of retro-refurb 3D printed part files, or will they get lost in the noise? Perhaps the sysops at AtariAge could create a repository for 3D print files.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 12/1/2015 at 4:01 AM, GoodByteXL said:

For the 400 there is just one solution, if you like to use it for typing: A Cherry keyboard.

post-18804-0-06642000-1448964052_thumb.jpg

post-18804-0-26053800-1448964074_thumb.jpg

I just got a 400, but not looking forward to using the keyboard (my youth brings back bad memories with that keyboard). Can I still get a keyboard like this?

20 minutes ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

I just got a 400, but not looking forward to using the keyboard (my youth brings back bad memories with that keyboard). Can I still get a keyboard like this?

Very occasionally come up on Ebay, often already installed in a 400.

Ironically, there's a 400 with a B-key keyboard fitted up on UK Ebay this week- £299 or best offer ?

On 10/30/2020 at 1:15 PM, drpeter said:

Very occasionally come up on Ebay, often already installed in a 400.

Ironically, there's a 400 with a B-key keyboard fitted up on UK Ebay this week- £299 or best offer ?

I mean..I would love if I could get some sort of exernal/plubbale one..so i didn't have to change the classic original design. Wonder if it'd be possible to build one. 

22 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

I mean..I would love if I could get some sort of exernal/plubbale one..so i didn't have to change the classic original design. Wonder if it'd be possible to build one. 

You mean something like the TK II so you can use a ps/2 keyboard?

https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii.html

Edited by mimo
spellin

8 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

That sold fast. Wonder what the overall condition was? The listing said a few keys didn't work aside from the single key that was missing. Had a 48k upgrade also.....always a bonus.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, Max_Chatsworth said:

Yes. BITD I got a surplus 1200XL keyboard and wired it in parallel with my 800's keyboard, with a ribbon cable which passes through a thin slot cut into the seam between the case halves. Ahhh, I could sit back and type on my lap. It would work just as well with a 400.

IMG_20201103_224926.jpg

Edited by ClausB
  • Like 3