IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

• 3 weeks later...

@Leech:The new issue of RetroGamer magazine has a feature on Raiden.

Martin Hooley mini interview is a part of it, (not sure if it's new interview or based on original he did when Imagitec Design covered....he makes same comments about Leonard Tramiel refusing to accept any blame on Atari hardware),

but he does say after we did Panther Raiden....

Nothing more to go on than that, he's the only 1 that mentions the Amiga version as well as that's missing from the conversion capers box out, so nothing to say how far along it got or if it was basis for Jaguar version etc.

Entire article a bit odd..

SNES Raiden gets better reception than you might expect.

Nothing said of MD version having exclusive level , only a few of the many changes made to Lynx version, Jaguar version being seen as too old a title to appear on Atari's flagship 64 bit system not mentioned, only the large status panel being an area where it drew critiscm...though i suspect limited space to blame for that.

It reads like a feature based on the arcade game, expanded to cover the home versions to fill a few more pages.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Interesting. I always understood that the panel was put there to keep the aspect ratio of the arcade. So it does sound like it was one of the games targeted for the Panther. Of course do we know how compatible the Panther would have been to the Jaguar? I had kept seeing that both Raiden and Cybermorph were developed for the Panther.

Of course these days if I want to play Raiden, I fire up MAME.

• Like 1

Cybermorph?

The 2 sources from ATD i emailed cannot remember anything of Panther Cybermorph.

Ditto the Atari Corp sources.

Shinto in his podcast said sources at Atari Corp he spoke too said it was never a Panther title, but you'd need to ask him who his sources were.

Mine are in my old interviews.

Someone did take very early Jaguar footage of Cybermorph from the demonstration Atari put together to showcase the Jaguar Hardware and proclaimed it as a Panther screenshot but that was some years ago.

Everything i found suggests it was Jaguar only.

As for Raiden...?

It's taken RG over 6 years since i saw the claim Imagitec Design had planned it for Panther and even now we aren't told who worked on it, how far along it got, if it was basis for the Jaguar version.

Martin Hooley has given 2 very different accounts of why Jaguar Space Junk and Freelancer were canned.

Didn't seem to want people to know Imagitec Design had worked on 7800 Toki and the documents Scott Stilphen kindly shared do not show Atari and Imagitec Design having a great relationship at that point

So i am honestly no further forward.

At best we can add it as a confirmed by...Panther title.

Interesting. I always understood that the panel was put there to keep the aspect ratio of the arcade. So it does sound like it was one of the games targeted for the Panther. Of course do we know how compatible the Panther would have been to the Jaguar? I had kept seeing that both Raiden and Cybermorph were developed for the Panther.

Of course these days if I want to play Raiden, I fire up MAME.

Sorry to derail thread further.

I just want to draw a line under the possibility of Panther Raiden etc..

I raised the point about Martin Hooley saying Raiden Dino Dudes and 1 other title were in development at 1 stage on Panther with a few people in the lost games community who'd briefly spoken to Martin themselves back along when asking about Imagitec's canned MD, C64, etc projects.

General feeling is Martin admits his memory on such projects is very hazy and he gets confused over which versions of games were released on what platforms..

He's convinced Viking Child was released on the Sega Game Gear for example.

There's also a feeling Martin would rather tell a story he wants people to hear,rather than what actually happened.

The advice i was given was until the coders,artists and musicians involved are found, we can't confirm Panther versions as there's still too high a risk Martins memory is playing tricks on him, which to be fair, given the years passed, is completely understandable.

There is also the issue of some rather bad blood it seems between ex-imagitec staff and producers assigned to projects, which makes further follow ups rather more difficult.

They will continue to ask about it whenever they contact anyone new from Imagitec.

Can't say fairer than that.

And i do hope further sources come forward.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Ahem...

The issue of who RetroGamer use for their articles is 1 for the magazine staff and Future Publishing to mull over.

The various sites i assist with wherever and in whatever way i can, are simply reluctant at this stage to use Martin's claims on Imagitec Panther development work, without further sources being able to confirm it.

The issues of:Hazy Memory (Martin suggesting Daemonsgate might of been yet another title, really didn't help, espically since he annouced that at the time on so many formats).

Internal conflicts with Imagitec and clearly Atari considering how Martin talks of Leonard Tramiel. .

And fact no coder, producer, artist or musician has come forward to say they worked on any Panther title, currently lends the claims to a status of further investigation needed, before they are happy to use them.

Appearing in RG isn't sufficient it seems.

Anyone wanting a decent Definite Guide to Raiden in RetroGamer magazine, could do a lot worse than tracking down ye oldie issue 26.

A superbly presented article by The Rev Stuart Campbell, a UK writer of some standing, for various reasons

It's not the most accurate ( i seem to recall he thought the Jaguar version was ported from the PC), but like his definite guides to Defender and Gradius, it was a cracking read.

Dunno I didn't even read it. My interest in the article disappeared when I saw who it had been written by. Having read previous ones I decided that's time I want to have for myself doing something useful :)

Just to clarify why many of us feel you need more than just Martin Hooley saying games were in development for Panther...

People's memories are victim to the passing of time, prime example here:

http://www.c64.com/gt_display_interview.php?interview=23

She talks of Blue Lightning on Jaguar as being 1 of the games she worked on that never got a release.

A Gameboy version of Daemonsgate is talked of, so this was planned for:GB/Amiga/ST/Lynx/MS/PC/GG and Panther yet only PC version finished and Lynx version abandoned? .

Hmmn. ..

I think there's a danger of those being interviewed going along with suggestions as well as getting formats mixed up.

I wonder if Radian on ST was really Raiden on Falcon?

Imagitec had so many canned games on so many formats, it's hard to know.

As for Martin?

This quote makes the point:

FYI - I've been talking in the past year with a few people involved trying to dig something out of it. Some people say they might have something somewhere but it haven't surfaced yet.

Martin Hooley is pretty confident that both The Humans and The Viking Child were done for Game Gear and he thought they were released.

Taken from:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/13302-TheHumansTheVikingChildGG

Confident...thought they were released...

Even Viking Child itself had stacks of annouced yet unfinished versions.

You can add the C64 and C64GS to the list:

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/viking-child/

You can't go off memory alone..yet it's often been allowed in RG articles to be presented as fact.

Edited by Lost Dragon

• 1 month later...

Scratch whatever suggestions I may have made in or around this thread as to games you should port, I don't want to pile on to any frustrations you may experience with your project here. I can't help myself, and as a mostly reasonable person, I don't feel I've become too annoying, yet. Here's my clear cart collection of all the Green Bee branded games that have been physically released through the forum here. I love all of the effort put in to this project and I, of course, would still love to see any of the Elvira games given consideration.

gallery_14503_2313_87465.jpg

• Like 7

By the way, with the spines out like that, I just realized, not counting the two special colored boxes.. the first wave of ST games have the original red Jaguar logo and the second wave feature the white outline.

Yea I just noticed that and both versions look great! Edited by Neogeoman
  • Like 2

Cybermorph?

The 2 sources from ATD i emailed cannot remember anything of Panther Cybermorph.

Ditto the Atari Corp sources.

Shinto in his podcast said sources at Atari Corp he spoke too said it was never a Panther title, but you'd need to ask him who his sources were.

Mine are in my old interviews.

Someone did take very early Jaguar footage of Cybermorph from the demonstration Atari put together to showcase the Jaguar Hardware and proclaimed it as a Panther screenshot but that was some years ago.

Everything i found suggests it was Jaguar only.

As for Raiden...?

It's taken RG over 6 years since i saw the claim Imagitec Design had planned it for Panther and even now we aren't told who worked on it, how far along it got, if it was basis for the Jaguar version.

Martin Hooley has given 2 very different accounts of why Jaguar Space Junk and Freelancer were canned.

Didn't seem to want people to know Imagitec Design had worked on 7800 Toki and the documents Scott Stilphen kindly shared do not show Atari and Imagitec Design having a great relationship at that point

So i am honestly no further forward.

At best we can add it as a confirmed by...Panther title.

Space Junk looked mighty impressive for the Atari Falcon030, but that was in early 1992....

Didn't Imagitec do Raiden for the Falcon030 previously? They probably also did Steel Talons and Road Riot 4WD. I don't care what anyone says, I would've liked those titles on the Jag...that goes for any other Atari Games Corp properties at the time too... Too bad Atari Corp and Atari Games Corp were involved in that counter-productive royalty payment dispute then...

• Like 1

Space Junk was intended for the Falcon and Mega CD initially and appeared on neither.

Then annouced for Jaguar CD and we have Martin Hooley's version of events as to why it never appeared and on the other end of the spectrum Atari's internal documentation explaining why they took it off the release schedule..

Steel Talons would of worked far better on Jaguar,frame rate wise than the Lynx or Genesis versions turned out.

It would of been nice to of had the real "heli-mode" put into a Jaguar version, as it offered the more realistic flight dynamics of a Blackhawk 67 Helicopter.

Imagitec worked on the unreleased Falcon version of Raiden, Colin Jackson and Nigel Conroy etc.

Road Riot 4WD?

The documents for Lynx and 7800 versions were shared online a while ago.

Not a game i am personally fond of on any format, as it's not my type of thing.

How well a Jaguar version would of been received, i leave to others ;-)

Scratch whatever suggestions I may have made in or around this thread as to games you should port, I don't want to pile on to any frustrations you may experience with your project here. I can't help myself, and as a mostly reasonable person, I don't feel I've become too annoying, yet. Here's my clear cart collection of all the Green Bee branded games that have been physically released through the forum here. I love all of the effort put in to this project and I, of course, would still love to see any of the Elvira games given consideration.

gallery_14503_2313_87465.jpg

Damn! Totally jealous. Wish there were more work on ST games to enhance them for playing with the JagPad on the STE/Falcon. Some of the shoot n' jump games would do well with more than one button.

• Like 1

Nobody in the ST scene cares unless its brown, textured and moving at 3fps.

Maybe they'd port supercross?

Ha. Oids was actually updated to use the Jagpad, and runs awesome with it. Maybe port that version to the Jaguar? Wonder how many of the extra levels you could fit on a cartridge?

• Like 1

Space Junk was intended for the Falcon and Mega CD initially and appeared on neither.

Then annouced for Jaguar CD and we have Martin Hooley's version of events as to why it never appeared and on the other end of the spectrum Atari's internal documentation explaining why they took it off the release schedule..

Steel Talons would of worked far better on Jaguar,frame rate wise than the Lynx or Genesis versions turned out.

It would of been nice to of had the real "heli-mode" put into a Jaguar version, as it offered the more realistic flight dynamics of a Blackhawk 67 Helicopter.

Imagitec worked on the unreleased Falcon version of Raiden, Colin Jackson and Nigel Conroy etc.

Road Riot 4WD?

The documents for Lynx and 7800 versions were shared online a while ago.

Not a game i am personally fond of on any format, as it's not my type of thing.

How well a Jaguar version would of been received, i leave to others ;-)

Space Junk didn't get released for the Falcon030?

Steel Talons was released for the Falcon030. So was Road Riot 4WD. I loved it in the arcades. It would've been great on the Jag had it used the JagLink/CatBox/etc.

Ha. Oids was actually updated to use the Jagpad, and runs awesome with it. Maybe port that version to the Jaguar? Wonder how many of the extra levels you could fit on a cartridge?

Really? Someone patched it? I'd love to see more ST games patched to use the ST PowerPads/JagPads. Seems like such a no-brainer and it would certainly improve modern retro gaming on the platform for anyone with STe and Falcon030s.

Really? Someone patched it? I'd love to see more ST games patched to use the ST PowerPads/JagPads. Seems like such a no-brainer and it would certainly improve modern retro gaming on the platform for anyone with STe and Falcon030s.

http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31699&p=320657&hilit=oids+jagpad#p320657

Awesome mod. He seemed to get kind of bummed out that not as many people were testing it as he wanted. So pipe into that thread and test? Ran great when I tried it on my 1040 STe. 060 in the Falcon made it freak out, but that's why I have a switch to swap between that and the 030.

• Like 1