IGNORED

Converter Box for Atari 2600/7800

thetallguy24

I know that the Atari outputs an analog signal, and I came across these on Amazon which say they are digital converter boxes accepting analog signal.

So would this work for an Atari? Would there be any lag?

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW180STB-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00IYETYX8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

post-41341-0-46845600-1450192809_thumb.jpg

Not sure the point really, unless you're bent on using an HDMI or composite only monitor. All TV's have the coaxial RF in that you can directly connect your Atari to via a simple adapter:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

...still, that little box looks like a nice alternative to using a bulky VCR to do your converting (to composite) and looks like it records to a thumb-drive as well? Could use it to record yourself playing video games to enter high-scores for Twin Galaxies. :lol:

Not sure the point really, unless you're bent on using an HDMI or composite only monitor. All TV's have the coaxial RF in that you can directly connect your Atari to via a simple adapter:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

...still, that little box looks like a nice alternative to using a bulky VCR to do your converting (to composite) and looks like it records to a thumb-drive as well? Could use it to record yourself playing video games to enter high-scores for Twin Galaxies. :lol:

Well I need to connect it to a PC monitor. They don't have coax inputs.

• Like 1

Well I need to connect it to a PC monitor. They don't have coax inputs.

Ahh... If this is your first venture into playing an old video game system on a modern display, you'll probably be disappointed as it's still best to play on CRT's. No issue of lag and the pic/colors look infinitely better.

If it were me and since you're wanting to use a computer monitor, may as well just stick to emulation. Less (or zero) lag, less clutter and much cheaper. :)

• Like 1

That device outputs analog signals over coax, composite and component (YPbPr), but it only accepts digital inputs (typically over-the-air digital broadcasting from the antenna), so the answer is no.

To convert the analog rf signal from the Atari you need an analog RF demodulator (also called analog TV tuner). When Tv broadcasting were still analog, those were only used to see TV programs on devices without internal tuner (e.g. some Plasma TVs or Video projectors) and therefore are quite uncommon. An old vcr can be used instead, as it has a tuner built-in (to record a different program than the one you were wathcing on the TV) and it has (analog) video outputs. You would then need to convert the analog video from the demodulator into a digital signal suitable for your monitor...

I agree with save2600 about using an Atari with digital displays. That's just a bad idea IMO.

Edited by alex_79

That device outputs analog signals over coax, composite and component (YPbPr), but it only accepts digital inputs (typically over-the-air digital broadcasting from the antenna), so the answer is no.

To convert the analog rf signal from the Atari you need an analog RF demodulator (also called analog TV tuner). When Tv broadcasting were still analog, those were only used to see TV programs on devices without internal tuner (e.g. some Plasma TVs or Video projectors) and therefore are quite uncommon. An old vcr can be used instead, as it has a tuner built-in (to record a different program than the one you were wathcing on the TV) and it has (analog) video outputs. You would then need to convert the analog video from the demodulator into a digital signal suitable for your monitor...

I agree with save2600 about using an Atari with digital displays. That's just a bad idea IMO.

So this would probably work?

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Picture-Monitor-Projectors-TV-LCDHR/dp/B0011NM17K

Would a digital converter with analog passthrough work?

Edited by thetallguy24